Stripes on "Down" Fletching...?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Meat Hunter

Stripes on "Down" Fletching...?

Post by Meat Hunter »

Stripes on "Down" Fletching:

Do any of you guys know what might cause black vertical stripes on the “down” fletching; sort of looks like the stripes on a turkey feather.

This has only happened on three out of thirty-six new arrows.

I am suspecting that these black stripes might be caused my allowing the “down” fletching to rest against the inside wall of the rail.

Any opinions?
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I had an arrow do the same thing.

Mine has marks on all three vanes, and they are all on the left hand side of the vanes, as viewed from the nock to the point. The marks in the bad picture seem to show both sides, but that is simply the mark showing through the vane.

The shot produced a strange noise, and the arrow did manage to hit the target, although not well. It wasn't from the vanes encountering the target as it did not over penetrate.

Mystery to me. Can't grasp what could contact all three equally like that. No trees, bushes or other obstacles. No dead birds on the ground. Haven't shot it since.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
greenjoytj

Post by greenjoytj »

Spray the vanes and the bow rail (do them separately one at a time) with spray deodorant specifically the kind with powder in it.

This will put a light dusting of powder on the vanes and inner rail groove.

Shoot the bow and see where the powder is being rubbed off the vane, look for powder being transfered to some where on the rail.

Repeat the experiment this time just spraying the rail not the vane and look for areas that get rubbed.

Maybe starting the shot with the down vane rotated as to press against the right hand side of the rail groove. This might give the arrow a few mili seconds to get clear of the rail before it has time to rotate enough to press hard against the inner left hand side of the rail groove and leave marks on the vane.

Also a squirt of Jig-A-Loo might lube the rail groove and prevent the vane from acquiring rub marks.
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is a piece of plastic under the limbs to separate them from the riser. Somtimes they protrude in towards the center. If so just slice them off with a razor.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Boo wrote:There is a piece of plastic under the limbs to separate them from the riser. Somtimes they protrude in towards the center. If so just slice them off with a razor.
X2
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

sumner4991 wrote:
Boo wrote:There is a piece of plastic under the limbs to separate them from the riser. Somtimes they protrude in towards the center. If so just slice them off with a razor.
X2
X3
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Boo, et al.,

I see the two black strips of plastic between my limbs and the riser.

They seem to be set back, but I trimmed both of them off flush with the end of the limbs.

It is raining today and rain is forecast for the next few days. As soon as the weather clears, I will see if I am still getting the stripes.

Thank You
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

If that was an issue for you, then you will probably start getting better groups too. My arrows had to be turning just right to hit, but, they were occasionally hitting.

Let us know.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

My Vixen was in the X-Ring at 20, 30, 40 and 50. Not that I would ever attempt a shot at 50 yds., my Lumizone had a 50 yd. line and I wanted to see what it would do at that range.

I am shooting a stock Excalibur Flemish string and stock Excalibur carbon arrows.

Also, on the arrows with the black stripes on the ‘down’ fletching, the edge of the ‘down’ fletching also had developed some ‘waves’ on the edge.

Out of the 36 new arrows that I was testing to see if I had any ‘flyers’, the black strips and the wavy edge only occurred on three arrows.

Any opinion what caused the waves?
Boo

Post by Boo »

It take a whole lot of hard contact to cause a wave in a Blazer. Other then a pass through on a foam target, I don't have a clue. I think you're on your own to figure that out.
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Boo,

Are the 3-7/8" long vanes on stock Excalibur FireBolt arrows Blazer vanes?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sorry Meathunter, no they are not. I had the pic below your post stuck in my head. Your's may get a ripple from the plastic.