Ladder stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a "bush ladder" tree stand that is very light and transportable. It is also the only ladder stand I have ever had any trouble with when setting it up! It must not be available anymore (couldn't find it on google), and that's probably for the best. :lol:
The stand is lightweight (16# or so), has a narrow ladder (about 6"), and a "sling" seat. The narrow ladder makes it very unstable until firmly strapped to the tree, and to firmly strap it you have to climb to the top. :shock:
I have climbed the back of the ladder to use my weight to help stabilize it, and I have also rode it around the tree (ropes at the top had it tethered against falling completely) when it slipped! Scary ride!!!! :lol:
That stand is in my shop now. It is getting an extension to hold it out a bit more from the tree, a rigid seat, and a wider "foot" on the ladder base for more ground contact. It will probably weigh double what it did, but it will be a lot more stable/comfortable when I finish. :lol:
wabi
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

The one I had a bunch of years ago was fairly easy to put up by myself except to for the last step of strapping in the top. Going up the ladder that was not yet fully secured tested ones dedication to ladderstand hunting! From my experience I would highly recommend getting help.

Be safe...
bull_dogg

Post by bull_dogg »

Well Im for sure going to get some help now. I jsut wanted to say thank you to everyone you Guys and Gals have been a huge help with all the info ive got from here.

Nate
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

bull_dogg wrote:Well Im for sure going to get some help now. I jsut wanted to say thank you to everyone you Guys and Gals have been a huge help with all the info ive got from here.

Nate
BTW, I think hunting out off ladder stands has, for me, some really nice advantages over a climber. Properly setup I feel much more secure, I can get in and out of the stand much more easily, quickly and with less noise. Big disadvantage is if the spot doesn't workout for you and you need to move the stand.

I think I see another ladder stand in my future. :)

Take care...
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

i love ladder stands, just don't like the first climb up when attaching the strap on first setup...especially with the 2 new 18 foot ladder stands i just purchased last season...there's gotta be a better way????
wabi

Post by wabi »

I should mention that I attach 2 ropes to the piece that grips the tree before attempting to put up a ladder stand. Place the ladder stand against the tree roughly at the angle it will set - then take those two ropes and go around the back of the tree (crossing them in the process). Take the ladder brace (the horizontal bar that runs from the ladder to the tree about 6' up) and secure it to the tree. Then I bring those 2 ropes around to the ladder step at the brace (it's the most solid place at this point of the process) and tie them with a trucker's hitch so I can tension the ropes. This helps hold the top of the stand against the tree while I climb to attach the ratchet strap(s). It can still slip, but it can't fall to the ground!

I am in the process of getting the bush ladder ready to set up in the near future. I will try to get pics of the process when I actually erect it.
wabi