Scope adjustment

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bambiblaster

Scope adjustment

Post by Bambiblaster »

Looked and looked but still can find the instuctions for adjusting the speed dial on scope... I think its raise if high and lower if low... This sound right???
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
frisky

Post by frisky »

I believe so :roll:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
skyhunter

Post by skyhunter »

Are we taling the Excal Varizone scope, and if so, what is the speed dial?

I have been shooting the scope for a few days but didn't read anything yet.
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Yes the Vari scope.. the dial in the rear is to adjust point of impact for the 30,40 and so on... Once scope is set at 20, you goto 30 and adjust this dial not the widage or elevation and so on
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
skyhunter

Post by skyhunter »

Bambiblaster wrote:Yes the Vari scope.. the dial in the rear is to adjust point of impact for the 30,40 and so on... Once scope is set at 20, you goto 30 and adjust this dial not the widage or elevation and so on
I am brand new to all of this and didn't read anything, but the way I understand it is that the 250-350 range is the speed of your bow.

So if I were hitting on at 20, but low going out to farther disatnces I would adjust the scope towards the 250 range. If I were hitting high at the farther distances I would adjust towards the 350 range.

Do I have it right?
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Thats what Im thinking too.. Just waitin on a confirmation
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
michiganman

speed

Post by michiganman »

you are correct,set your cross hairs dead on at 20 yards,then go back to 50 yards and your 50 yard mark in your scope should be on.id start at 300fps and adjust form there unless you crono the xbow.mine crono at 307,and my scope setting is real close.if your high at 50 turn speed up a little,low go towards the 250 mark,just a little at a time.after your on at 50 yards go back to 20 and recheck,JIM

mine is dead on from 10 to 50 yards once set.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

First, pay no attention to the numbers on the scope, they are there for reference, not by any means accurate.
1st, level the scope properly, that is very important for shots beyond 20 yards.
Take a shot at the center of the target at 10 yards, if it is within 6 inches of where you aimed move back to 20 yards.
2nd, set your vertical at 20 yards, put a line on the target taller than 6" or so and shoot, pay no attention to your horizontal, just tune the scope to that line with your windage dial (right side of scope).
3rd, do the same thing with the horizontal now, put a horizontal line on the target and tune it in to that line, paying no attention to the vertical.
Now you should be inside an inch square from a shot now, at 20 yards. make sure that is true by doing multiple shots.
Once you know you are good at 20 yards move to 40. Set your scope speed dial to what you think you should be shooting, again aiming at the horizontal line (don't worry about vertical) and let one fly. If that arrow is high turn up the speed on the speed ring, if it is low, turn it down. Keep going until it is hitting the line.
You can now safely step back to 50 and try that shot again, the farther back you go in the scope checking for speed the more accurate the 30 and 40 are going to be.
Once the speed dial is set you can go back up to 30 and get a very good idea of how the set-up just went.

-Shooting from 10 is more of a precaution than anything when setting up, just to make sure the scope isn't so far off you miss your target.
-Keep an eye on your brace height, it will trick you into thinking your scope is off, this is especially important when using a new string.
I can clarify on any of this if you need..

Your arrow combination has nothing to do with the scope settings, as long as the arrows are consistent. If you switch arrows in any way you have to repeat this procedure, or what ever procedure you chose to use.
I use the same arrow combination as you, and am very happy with it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Thanks for clarifing Pyd..
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver