field dressing deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

wabi wrote:I found something last year I will always have in my fanny pack for field dressing deer.
They are veterinary gloves, and make the task of reaching up inside a lot less daunting.
Those are nice. I use regular latex examination gloves that you can pick up at Wal-Mart by the 50 pack. I have to pull my sleeves up though. It makes it very convenient to have clean hands right after you are done with the job.

DuckHunt
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bobby2bears wrote:When I was a kid and had never field dressed a deer, my Uncle told me to make sure I stick the knife in all the way to the hilt! Bad Uncle...very bad Uncle!
That was bad! :shock: :? :evil:

Did you ever get him back? :?: :P :lol:
Grizz
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

The best advice is to use a SHARP knife. Other than that, you have to just roll up your sleeves and get to it. Its going to be messy and your going to make a bunch of little mistakes. Miss the stomach and bladder and you can't screw up too bad though. Good luck and be safe.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
bobby2bears

Post by bobby2bears »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
bobby2bears wrote:When I was a kid and had never field dressed a deer, my Uncle told me to make sure I stick the knife in all the way to the hilt! Bad Uncle...very bad Uncle!
That was bad! :shock: :? :evil:

Did you ever get him back? :?: :P :lol:
Luckily I asked my Dad about it and he laughed and told me the proper way.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I can tell you that the initial cut is important to get right. If you lift the skin as you cut, you can avoid alot of the inards. Also, stop at the rib cage if you wish to have the head mounted, if not, then slice all the way, right through the rib cage to the neck. If you go slightly to one side, the blade should go through. Remember to be safe with your hands, it is easy to cut yourself if the knife gets out of control.

There is a diaphram, it is a muscle that seperates the abdomen from the thoracic cavity. Above it will be bloody, and contain the heart, lungs and liver. Below is the intestines. IF you take your time, you can cut that diaphram away from the rib cage and all the way back to the spine. That will make things go so much better for you.

I wear rubber gloves, and after I peel them off, you would never guess I even cleaned a deer. It can be done cleanly, if you make the right cuts. My brother was always amazed to watch how easy I made it look. But now the stink......you are on your own with that. Hope you get to try your hand at it this year.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Shoot Straight

Post by Shoot Straight »

I found about a year ago this dvd that shows how to process a deer from the field to the freezer. It shows all the different types of cut of meat in a deer, sirloin steaks, top round, bottom round, sirloin tips, backstraps, tenderloin, all this by deboning the animal. Its from the Kentucky wildlife site. www.fw.ky.gov :roll:
Exocet 200
Varizone
S5 System
Rage 3 blade 100 gr
CrazyFarmer's CowWacker
Big John's LungBuster
Boo String
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

Have fun, cowboy up and get the job done!

Beware of getting "raisins" near the meat, don't pierce the bladder, stomach or intestines,

sometimes it's easier just to split the pelvis, crack it wide open to help cut out the raisin tube.

good luck, it's a rush the first time,,, I had to do it as a rookie hunter in front of the whole gang of shotgun hunters, Lot's of jokes and lots of coaching, it wasn't so bad... but you worry your gonna puke or faint in front of the guys from moving up from rabbits and waterfowl to deer,,,

have paper towels and handi-wipes ready for after. I also use gloves now so the wife let's me near her by not seeing blood under the nails,
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
bucont

Post by bucont »

Kenton wrote:The best advice is to use a SHARP knife. Other than that, you have to just roll up your sleeves and get to it. Its going to be messy and your going to make a bunch of little mistakes. Miss the stomach and bladder and you can't screw up too bad though. Good luck and be safe.
I agree, sharp knife. I use the original Wyoming and a 5 1/2" buck.

http://www.wyomingknife.com/knives.htm
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Our deer necks ain't too big ... but I'll try one this fall, just for you ... I'll call it a 'Shuck-roast! Laughing
Welp, there won't be no Grizzle in the meat, lol.

I'm torn between Round House and Big Smith, btw. Generally, I go for the cleanest, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
whateverworks

Post by whateverworks »

wabi wrote:I found something last year I will always have in my fanny pack for field dressing deer.
They are veterinary gloves, and make the task of reaching up inside a lot less daunting.
HOLY JEEZ, your hardcore wabi. i'd never carry someone else's arm in my fanny pack :D
saxman

Post by saxman »

whateverworks wrote:
HOLY JEEZ, your hardcore wabi. i'd never carry someone else's arm in my fanny pack :D
Thats the way to do it
Get some one to lend you a hand...or...Arm

I will be getting some of those.
One of my doctors was quite upset with me when I showed him some of my kill pictures and he knew I didn't wear long gloves like that.
Last thing I need is bad pathogins and germs with the immunosuppressive drugs I take.I didn't think much of it.
I just dove right in to them without a thought.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Them gloves scare the hell out a me.....Im not going to my doctors appointment now......Im going to have nightmare for sure....
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
saxman

Post by saxman »

Hoss wrote:Them gloves scare the hell out a me.....Im not going to my doctors appointment now......Im going to have nightmare for sure....
Now you just bend over,this wont hurt (me) a bit.
You may feel a little pressure :shock: :shock:
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011