Cold Weather with a Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fan of Fall

Cold Weather with a Crossbow

Post by Fan of Fall »

Hi all,
?
I'm new to the world of cross bow hunting and this will be my first season with one. I have a Vortex and I'm been just practicing in warm weather.
Does the colder weather during late archery season and later have any effect on cross bow accuracy or bow parts? I know cold temperatures causes contraction and heat expands. I never notice any changes with a compound except I had to practice with more clothes on.

Thanks in advance :)
"Man is not free unless government is limited.... As government expands, liberty contracts."
(Ronald Reagan)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

One of the problems that can happen with crossbows is if you get snow and such inside the trigger unit . If not dried out the trigger will freeze at the most inconvenient moment . :shock:
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Try using something that evaporates the water like dry and go for ignitions done this on guns but haven't tried it on a crossbow.
I would remove the stock so no damage is done to the camo.

WD-40 will work as well and should not affect the stock.

As for the cold affecting the performance I don't think it changes anything from what I have read on the forum.
Tenpoint Matrix
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

i hunted december last year and shot a deer the 28th at 25 degrees.the exocet was flawlees and hammered that doe.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
wabi

Post by wabi »

Other than the possibility of moisture freezing and locking up the trigger I've seen no change in performance. The freezing has never been any problem for me, but I'm always careful to keep as much rain/snow out of the "works" as possible. I frequently carry the crossbow with a big camo bandanna over the scope/claw/trigger area if it's raining or snowing to keep as much moisture out as possible.
I've even considered making a leather "cow's knee" like is used with a sidelock muzzleloader. :roll:
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have never experienced a frozen trigger yet(knock on wood), but I have had it where I was hunting in freezing rain. The rail had a light layer on it and it threw my p.o.i. way off.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

hunted in all temps ...shot the bow on a buck at minus 25 celsius...with great accuracy....i did one time have a frozen safety during a heavy rain
changing to snow storm...i 'd put the saftey on throw the bow over my shoulder and take afew steps with the saftey switching to fire.....
kanehill

Post by kanehill »

I keep my bows in a non heated garage during hunting season so they are the same temp. as the weather I am hunting !
Excalibur Ibex
Vari-Zone Scope
Easton Carbon Power Bolts
Muzzy 125/3 Blade Broadheads
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

i have had a not so good experience when my trigger iced up (the one that got away story) after some openions from some fellow members it was determinded that i used my bow in the morning it was snowing i left it in the back of my vechil all day and went out again at night. throught the day my vechile heater was running while i was running arrens and the snow left on the bow from the morning melted and when i went out at night and creossed a mile long open field in a snow storm my mechinisim must have frozen resulting in me trying to pull the trigger and nothing happening . So yes it can happen but its more user error i dont blame the bow but myself for not taking proper care!! i hope this helps :)
Peach

Post by Peach »

I shot my buck last year in -15celsius weather with no problems at all. These bows are made in Canada, for hunting in Canada. Cold is no big deal at all...

I don't oil my bow at all, bring it in each night to dry...oil stinks...I try to stay scent free.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

One quick shot of WD-40 in the trigger assembly after the season is over is all you are supposed to need for any Excalibur crossbow. That's all I do and so far I've never had a problem in sub zero (C) temps and in freezing rain, snow storms etc.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

What is all this snow and ice and freezing temps y'all keep talking about? :?: :!: :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

iam from Canada ahy it gets dam cold here - 30 in nov and dec sometimes but sometimes its plus 10 lol
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

And I also use a shot of wd 40 in the fall and 2 weeks before the sesson starts i figure it cant hurt!!
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

must not worry about the smell of the wd-40???

what about the scope.going from house to woods for fogging up????

65 to say 40 degrees
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado