Whatcha do to prepare before season opens?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Whatcha do to prepare before season opens?

Post by crazyfarmer »

kinda a open topic here....

with 4 days left here I have 2 tables up in my garage with each item I use for hunting out in some type of pattern. I go over everything. New batteries in my headlamp, check the grunt calls, and new batteries in the range finder. I also have different pairs of gloves, jackets, and etc out for hot and cold days.

It just helps me know what I need to get and fix before opening day. Plus, it does away with the "did I bring this" while im heading to my stand.

anything else lay their hunting stuff out like woman do their shoes? :D
Gutshot

Post by Gutshot »

I was gettin' everything out yesterday and thought I'd better try my camo clothes on. Good thing I did, I couldn't even button the pants. Guess I've gained more in the last year than I had thought. So it was off to wally world for a new pair. Glad I didnt wait till thurs morn to put em on.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Gutshot wrote:I was gettin' everything out yesterday and thought I'd better try my camo clothes on. Good thing I did, I couldn't even button the pants. Guess I've gained more in the last year than I had thought. So it was off to wally world for a new pair. Glad I didnt wait till thurs morn to put em on.
LOL... im sure you arent the only one thats had that issue :D
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I do much the same thing , C.F. I have got the videoscope charging now. :D Go over everything, and then it all goes into the knap-sac(sp?). Even so, i will curse myself for forgetting something. Never fails! :lol:
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Sure thing crazy. Everything gets laid out and organized. I also wipe everything with no-scent wipes, and I mean everything.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote:
Gutshot wrote:I was gettin' everything out yesterday and thought I'd better try my camo clothes on. Good thing I did, I couldn't even button the pants. Guess I've gained more in the last year than I had thought. So it was off to wally world for a new pair. Glad I didnt wait till thurs morn to put em on.
LOL... im sure you arent the only one thats had that issue :D
I couldn't get last years hunting clothes to fit either.

They were too big. :!: :P 8)
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have a room just for my hunting and fishing stuff, i lay out all my stuff on the bed for each adventure i am setting out on at the time. Deer hunting though i only have 75 yards to walk back to the house if i forget something :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I'm going for the big tackle reduction program this year. Used to carry everything around, and almost never used but a few things.

Bow with rope and extra Crazy Farmer arrow, knife, flash light, scents, bottle of water, camo, boots, cell phone, wallet, sun glasses and hat, and a He-Wee - and everything else stays at home. May take some rattlin' horns a couple of times. May buy a rattle bag of some kind.

Going to sharpen the knife and wash the BugTamer camo. Then pickup a horse blanket and give the clothes a wipe down, and hang all of them in the pines for a few days- rain or shine. Boots too. I have until last week in October to get ready. That's our big time crossbow season here, and it will be bucks only, of course. But those bucks will have the fever and that is all the edge a man needs.

This weekend I will put a big feather in my hat and do some scouting for rub lines. Rubs are like surveyor flags. Takes awhile to read them correctly and ignore ones that are meaningless. Might be some scrapes around, have to go look.

Amazing how much owning a rangefinder, and playing games with it, has helped me to estimate distances. So will play with it some while I am out and about- trampling around. But it will stay home, too.

The pompano and redfish have been in the surf lately, so must schedule my time wisely. It's the annual mullet run you know. But I did manage to schedule a vacation week just for crossbow, and I really want to score a ten ring with the thing.

I'd rather be careful and certain in my preparation of a few things, than be lax and loose trying to manage alot of little things. No backpacks or rough sacks needed. Just make me sweat all that much more.

I should have some nice lines in the woods. Boundaries have produced for me in the past during muzzle loader season. Crossbow season will be a little sooner. Fences, roads, anything that seperates this buck's property from that buck's property. Then set out some tarsal gland and sit still, and put in the time.

It is my theory that while a dominate buck is cruising around checking on does, he will ALSO check his boundaries. They love to fight, and I think there are times when they would rather fight than chase a doe. All I do is convince both bucks that the other has been a cheatin'. And I don't hang my tarsal from a limb, I sneak it into a thick bush instead. That holds them still for the shot. They can locate exactly where that smell is comming from, and if it is in a bush, they think he is in that bush. Hanging from a tree, he knows something is wrong- no deer there. Doesn't come in, but rather scans the area. I want him flipping his head and blowing rasberrys when I ease that claw. Suprise.

I guess we all prepare ourselves differently. It is certainly part of the fun. I intend to prepare myself mentally to stick with the plan and not cut and run on day two. :lol: :lol: :lol: Glad I have been shooting alot, that just adds to my confidence factor. Gonna be hot, so I will have to monitor the wind carefully. Ground blinds this year, trees are too small.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I do the same thing CF, the only difference is that I have to organize for two :wink: . I bought some of those rubbermaid containers that I use to organize everything. I have a container for eveything. One for my turkey hunting gear and one for Tyler's. One for my bowhunting gear and one for Tylers......... Then I keep a General container in my truck at all times with a change of clothes for both of us, extra knives, coats, gloves, flashlights ect.. I also keep my fanny pack in the truck and check it before and after each hunt to make sure that it has the nessesities in it. This is where it comes in handy to have a "hunting truck". Mine stays stocked with all kinds of stuff and I only wash it after hunting season is over.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
gogo

Post by gogo »

Have all my hunting clothes hung up in my unheated garage. Here's what's in my backpack 2 knives, flashlight,bandages, pee bottle,cellphone,extra eyeglasses,camera,cover scent,chocolate bars,cocking aid, my son and I hunt a couple of hundred yards apart so I bring walky talkys only used if a deer goes down. What did I forget ?
cajun

Hey gogo....

Post by cajun »

You forgot the tp....

:D