What would you do

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

What would you do

Post by gogo »

Some of us here are only allowed one deer, our season is from Oct1 till the end of december. Would you shoot the first decent deer that came by or would you wait for a real good one. Remember if you shoot a deer even 2 minutes into the opener your deer hunting season is over.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

When I furst started hunting in Virginia, it was a two week gun season and you could only take one buck.

I always shot the first buck that came by . . .explains my bad habits. :lol:

The rest of the season, I was pushing deer for the other guys.

You have more time, so I'd probably hunt for a good one for a few weeks and see what happens. Mostly, I just like being out there and if I filled my tag early, then I'd have more things to do here at the house. :evil:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

with a three month season, I would start off being a little picky, but come December, if its brown its down!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I like shooting a nice buck as much as the next guy, but my family and I really like having venison in the freezer. I'll shoot the first buck or doe that I'm licensed for. Fawns walk.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Dumbazz

Re: What would you do

Post by Dumbazz »

gogo wrote:Some of us here are only allowed one deer, our season is from Oct1 till the end of december. Would you shoot the first decent deer that came by or would you wait for a real good one. Remember if you shoot a deer even 2 minutes into the opener your deer hunting season is over.
If you are from the Niagara area, are there not additional tags available there?? What about for the ML season??? Neighbouring WMU's??

I'm near Peterborough and have 5 tags.
I come by my name honestly.
bbbwb

What would you do?

Post by bbbwb »

In years past, when I have had more than 1 tag I took the first good deer that came. I would then be selective and more fussy, looking for a better animal either in body size or antlers. As the end of season is drawing close, it becomes a mission of "brown is down". As bugs stated " you can't eat antlers".

bbbwb
wabi

Post by wabi »

If you want meat shoot the first decent one you can.
If you're hunting for a "trophy" wait it out, but you may end up with an unfilled tag.
wabi
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

When I first started hunting my philosophy was... If It Has Big Ears And Hooves.... Kill It :twisted: Now, I find myself being a little picky but with two tags this year I'm looking for one of each.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
DARTONATOR

Post by DARTONATOR »

Take the first good deer you can. This in return gives you confidence. Then , go and hunt down a few of your good friends and tell them that you would like to help them fill their tags by party hunting with them in either their area or yours. If you kill a good buck, the rack and cape is yours and the meat is theirs ! Problem solved.. Next year, be sure to call and buy extra tags ! :lol:
X-Calibre

Post by X-Calibre »

I remember the first time I went to a bar in search of the fairer sex.......I saw lots of women that night and decided to take my time and pick the most beautiful and aluring woman I could find there. After a few hours the bar closed and I went home alone.......waiting for a trophy has its downside. :twisted:
We live we laugh we love we hunt........ is there more?
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Michigan used to be a one deer state many moons ago. I used to be pretty picky on which deer I shot. So picky, in fact, that I ate my tag several times rather than eating venison.

I do recall one year though. It was the first time I had ever been late for opening day. I was even finishing the sharpening on a couple of broadheads. The sun was up as I was heading for my stand. At that time no tree stands were allowed either. Ground hunting only.

However, only about 5 yards from my stand suddenly 4 deer (2 does and 2 bucks) were running towards me. They were on the opposite side of a creek and I hoped when they went down into the creek I could get in my brush blind. Nothing doing. They came fast.

Long story short, I passed on the does and shot one of the bucks. He had got to the top of the creekbank and stopped broadside at 27 yards. One shot and he rolled into the creek and could not get up.

That was a Bear razorhead shot from a Bear Kodiak Magnum. So my season ended before I even got into the stand. I really didn't mind though because it was a decent buck.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

lots of folks wrote: You cant eat antlers!
Mike P wrote: You can't mount backstrap!
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

Like others have said...if you are looking to put meat in the freezer shoot the first one that gives you a decent shot...but on the other hand if you enjoy being out there then just hunt a few months and let the deer walk....its very enjoyable just being out there..shoot a couple with your camera...glad I don't have to make that decision...it must be hard...
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Mike P wrote:
lots of folks wrote: You cant eat antlers!
Mike P wrote: You can't mount backstrap!
dats funny. :lol:
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!