So close

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

raydaughety

So close

Post by raydaughety »

Tyler and I settled into our blind yesterday afternoon for a quick hunt. With the wind in our favor, we felt good about the evening's hunt and it wasn't long before a small doe stepped into the field. This is the same field that we have been seeing some decent bucks in so we decided to just sit tight and wait. Our patients payed off, well kinda. A the doe grazed in the beans 25 yards from us, the same buck that busted me last week stepped into the field and was walking straight at us. I told Tyler to get ready so he quietly stood up so that he could shoot with his compound. As the buck approached, I looked up at Tyler and saw a terrible sight. He was shaking uncontrollably, soaked with sweat and I could see his pulse pounding in his neck. This was not good ya'll. I told him to sit back down so that I could get close enough to whisper in his ear without spooking the buck. I whispered some words of confidence to him and did my best to get him to focus on me and not the buck. He finally calmed down a bit and said that he thought that he was ready and got back on his feet. He took a deep breath, let it out and began to draw his bow. Again, three years in a row, he could not calm himself enough to pull the bow back :( . I felt completely helpless but then I had a thought. He was perfectly calm watching that doe just outside the blind so I whispered for him to forget the buck and shoot the doe. He calmed right down, came to full draw but when he did, the buck saw him and ran off about 10 yards taking the doe with him. She had stopped and turned broadside. I ranged her with the rangefinder and the reading came back at 39 yards. He had not practiced nor did he have a sight pin for that distance. In desperation, I did something that I will regret. I told him to hold right at her spine and let it fly. He took a deep breath again but this time he let his bow down and sat in his chair. Tears were streaming down his face and I told him that I was very proud of him for not taking the shot and admitted my poor judgement in telling him to take a risky shot. Folks' I am at a loss. This is the third time that this has happened. I really do feel that once he gets one under his belt he'll be ok but we just can't seem to get a doe to come in by herself. This only happens with his bow and bucks. The boy normally tags out on deer (5) and turkey (2) every year but seems to loose all of his strength when trying to shoot a buck with his bow. Before going to bed last night he came to me and asked me if we could hold off bowhunting anymore because he thinks that he just doesn't have what it takes to succeed. This is so out of character for him. In fact, when I got up this morning he was outside at the boat, cleaning up and charging the batteries. He saw me at the door and said that the weather was going to be good Saturday and we should go catch some flounder and trout. Any ideas or suggestions??????? I do not want to pressure him if he doesn't want to go but than again I don't want him to think that it's ok to just give up on something that he is so passionate about. He has spent a many a hour shooting his bow from his climber over the summer. He has no problem putting 6 arrows in a fist sized group at 25 yards. Do ya'll think that I should get him an adjustable sight (sightmaster) or a sight with multiple pins so that he can extend his comfortable shooting range? Heck, I don't know what to do :? .
Last edited by raydaughety on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I think I would let him go at his pace. Extending his range wouldn't do anything for what he is dealing with. He is deer hunting and enjoying it. It needs to stay enjoyable. Let him use the "tool" that he is most comfortable with.
Why ride when you can walk!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Ray, just enjoy the hunt together. Enjoy being out and watching the deer. If a nice, close comfortable shot presents itself and Tyler feels like taking it - great! Otherwise, it's still a successful hunt for both of you. Time spent together, making memories enjoying the best of the best. THAT's what it's all about.

No need to bring home a deer. Take Tyler out just to spend time, not to harvest. Let him know that's all that matters. If a harvest happens - great. If it doesn't, its still great! :lol: Relax, enjoy and he will too. He's got plenty of time to bowhunt in the years to come.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I understand what you all are saying and I honestly don't pressure him but harvesting a deer with archery equipment is something that he is extremely passionate about but yet he just comes so unglued at the moment of truth that it's just overwhelming for him. I love just being outdoors with him and I think that you guys know that. I'm proud of him for just trying but he takes it so serious and when he feels that he has failed he goes of the deep end. I totally agree with what ya'll are saying, it will come. He just gets so excited. Now, he wants to stop hunting until black powder season comes in and that bothers me. He is giving up on his dream. If I am wrong please tell me. I'm a big boy, I can take it.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Ray, he's just frustrated with himself. It's a phase we all go through from time to time. Makes us want to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I got so frustrated with some issues I had this summer at 3D that I almost gave up and didn't go to the last shoot. Dragged myself out to that last shoot and am glad I went as the problems got sorted out and I lucked out and took 1st competing against the guys.

I have yet to harvest anything with my bow besides foam animals (which my 4 yr old tells me taste like candy lol) I'm notorious for letting stuff walk. I keep waiting for the "perfect" shot. A good friend of Tim's teases me mercilessly with "Why didn't ya shoot it??!?!" anytime I mention I saw something. All in good fun and I still enjoy just being out there. Sure I want to connect - but I want it to be right. I suspect Tyler is feeling some of the same.

Tell him not to give up. It will happen when the time is right.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

It will come, Tyler just keep going out and giving it your best shot, Remember the time you are spending together! you will never be able to forget those days as you get older.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
saxman

Post by saxman »

Take him to do something else that he enjoys and that he is good at.Go together and let him get that bad MOJO off of him.

The old cook at my dads club used to do what he called the buck dance.
He would dance around you,rub your head,say some jibberish and he said you were cured.

I was usually laughting so hard that I felt better about whatever had happened and just moved on.

Tell him when he see's the deer don't look at the rack again,pick a spot,pick a hair and draw and shoot.
Uncle ted says a prayer as he draws.
In the name of the Father (draw the bow) And the Son (Anchor and aim) And the Holy Spirit (Release & Follow through) Ahmen (As the arrow finds it's spot)
Tell him also it took me over 40 years to kill my first deer with any weapon. I would darn near pee my pants when I saw one.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

Buck fever....its the worst affliction to have... but also the best....when you love something that much that the adrenalin makes you sick then you are hooked for life....I struggled with it for years...Never, ever, had a problem while holding a rifle...but when I drew my bow back it would hit hard....I know what he is going through...just give it time...he will conquer it....its all in the mental preparation...it helped me to daydream about the approaching buck and try to run it over and over in my mind beforehand....also ,watching hunting videos of big bucks seemed to help me get over the adrenalin rush when it came....let him dictate the pace...he will get back in the game...just be there and support him...it helps that he is a very good hunter to start with....
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

It sounds like Tyler's passion and eagerness to harvest a big buck is overwhelming him. I know grown men that this happens to all the time. And, through good upbringing he wants to make the perfect ethical shot. These are good things!

Bowhunting is intimate. It's up close and personal. It may be a little too close for him for right now but that's something he will grow out of if he keeps going with rifle / shotgun / ML hunting.

He sounds a lot like my son, the very thought of failure turns him off of an activity or sport and he doesn't want to do it. I've always had to have tender heart to heart, father / son chats with him to keep him in the game. I have to explain that not everyone is perfect at everything and that it takes time, practice, and committment to get good at the activity / sport and that no matter what I will be happy and proud of him. It takes encouragement without forcing. Forcing a kid like this just makes it much worse.

I don't know what advice I could give you here Ray. On the one hand I'd say he's gotta get back on the horse. But that borders on "forcing him." On the other hand I'd say he's a kid and if he wants to go fishing this weekend, take the kid fishing. His passion for deer hunting will bring him back to the stand the next weekend or the one after that. But I think you should should have that heart to heart with him.

Good luck,

Tom
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
maple

Post by maple »

FLOUNDERS AND TROUT!!!!!!

The deer can wait. When he's ready, it'll happen. He's still so young Ray.
I have a hard time imagining a lad of his age having accomplished as much as he has. There's no lack of skill or desire on his part. I tell you that. I can just see all the jumping and hugging when it comes to pass.

For now, I'd go for the flounders and trout.

Maple
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Well, we had that heart to heart this afternoon and basically he is scared of making a bad shot and wounding a deer. The fact that it's a buck makes it even worse for him. Tyler has always driven himself to make me proud of him. I have told him how proud That I am of him, many many times. I tried to explain to him that I had rather sit in the bind at look at deer all day long than watch him get so upset. I know that there's more than hunting thats bothering him. He worried about me and what im feeling. I get so confused so easy that I have cut way back on stuff so that he won't notice how I feel. I think this is best until I get better. It is getting very hard to communicate with you all without help. I'm not going to push him at all. If he wants to go fishing in the morning and it isn't raining then we will go. It doesn't matter to me as long as we are enjoying time together, right :D . Just a bump in the road folks and we will get through it like we alwasy do. With God's help, we will get through this :wink: . Thank you so much for your help guys and you too gal :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

Go get those flounder and trout and then call me so I will know where to go! It will all come together in its own time!! Good luck with the fishing! phil
thanks philip
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Ray I am soon to be 66, this month, and get deer fever(not just buck, doe too) every time I see a deer when I am hunting them. I have to talk to myself to calm down enough to make a good shot. I have harvested over 120 deer(and missed some) in the last 40+ years I have hunted them. I have got to the point I like the rush of adrenaline and the ability to talk myself into calming down enough to make the shot.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
MidTnHunter

Post by MidTnHunter »

Ray my deer fever was so bad I finally found and placed a sticker on my bow that said " Stay Calm Pick a Spot " made it a habit to check this sticker everytime before shooting. It really helped after 10 years of hunting finally was able to draw and shoot a doe. Been OK since. It happens to more of us than will admit it.
Equinox with S5
SpitFires 100 gr with brass inserts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
ACF Member - 2009
wabi

Post by wabi »

Ray,
I still get "buck fever" at times, it's only natural to get excited.
One thing that might help is to have him draw & aim at a few bucks with the understanding (before you go) he is not to shoot! Tell him you just want him to draw and aim at the buck's heart/lung area for practice - but DO NOT shoot. Hopefully you can let him aim at a couple and he will overcome the excitement when he knows he will not have to make the actual shot. When he learns to calmly draw & aim - then let him draw on one and give him the go-ahead. :wink:

edited to add:
I still do that myself. If I see a buck I'm not going to shoot I still like to aim at his vitals through my scope and watch him that way for some time. It helps me think my way through an actual shot when the right buck comes in.
wabi