Kenton & Fred Bear will be proud of me........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Kenton & Fred Bear will be proud of me........

Post by wabi »

I had a spike buck at under 10 yards from my ladder stand this evening. I raised the Phoenix, put the 15 yard mark in my VariZone on his heart, slowly pushed the safety off, then put the safety back on and lowered the Phoenix to my lap. :lol:
If it had been a doe the outcome would have been different, but this little guy had decent mass & length for a 1½ year old, so I decided to let him grow. :roll:

Not much luck so far this fall. I've been watching the feeder the past few evenings and all the deer have been going to the other end of the food plot and munching acorns & nibbling on the chicory. I moved the "bush ladder" to that corner yesterday afternoon and had a chance to sit in it tonight. Saw only one doe (too far for a good shot) and the spike buck.
Put the new Bushnell Trail cam on the feeder & food plot today, so I will pull the card in a couple days and see if anything has been eating corn (feeder), clover, or chicory on that end of the food plot.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yer better than i am, he would be getting cut up & canned tomorrow! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Alright Wabi. Its been a little slow here too, but it only takes one.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thats true restraint :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Bigger and heavier spike next year
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
wabi

Post by wabi »

With just 1 buck per year and 4 months of season left it was easy at this point to pass on him. In another month or two if I haven't tagged a buck it might be different. :lol:
Hopefully something with 6 or more points will walk too close to my stand before season ends.
wabi
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

wabi wrote:With just 1 buck per year and 4 months of season left it was easy at this point to pass on him.
Way to go wabi!!

You're right, it is a long season and Mr. Big may just wander your way later this month when the rut starts. Just think how you would feel if Mr. Big presented himself broadside at twenty yards and you couldn't arrow him because you shot the little guy.

Besides, with all the pressure being placed on the Buckeyes by the other teams, you may be the key player for a victory if you take a sizable buck. :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Mike P wrote:
wabi wrote:With just 1 buck per year and 4 months of season left it was easy at this point to pass on him.
Way to go wabi!!

You're right, it is a long season and Mr. Big may just wander your way later this month when the rut starts. Just think how you would feel if Mr. Big presented himself broadside at twenty yards and you couldn't arrow him because you shot the little guy.

Besides, with all the pressure being placed on the Buckeyes by the other teams, you may be the key player for a victory if you take a sizable buck. :D
Mike,
It's always a gamble to let one walk, I may not even get another buck in range this year.
But..................
I'm sure I was right to pass on this little guy. He looked like he might have "potential" just judging by the mass and length of his spikes compared to a lot of other young deer I've watched on the property I hunt. A lot of them look like they have two pencils sticking out of their head! :lol: :lol:
Seems like when I hunt for a doe for meat the young bucks like to parade past my stand to tempt me. :roll:
It's always a guess, but I don't mind killing a young buck if I think he probably won't develop a great rack.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Good job man;)
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Great fun eh Mike ! ... Good things come to those who wait !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Congrats Wabi I bet it felt good to let him walk! :D Now lets get on the board.....

Bambiblaster wrote:Bigger and heavier spike next year
An age old theory that has been proven wrong a 1,000 times!