GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sliver

Post by Sliver »

I own the Garmin Legend, and the Garmin GPS Map76, both are very good units,,,, well were good units. My legend is in need of repair,,, the screen goes all funky after being on for a few minutes, then just quits,,, it is an older unit.... it has served me well,,, I really like the small size of the legend, I wish there was a local repair shop around, don't feel like shipping it to Montreal and spending the $95.00 they want for repair and shipping...... I'll just use the GPS Map76..... :wink:

The new Legend H Looks like a decent unit, it has 24 megs of memory as the original Legend has 8,, nice to have more memory for maps.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
KLS

Post by KLS »

its a little old but I'm going to throw a reply out anyway... Don, if your still in the hunt for a GPSR I highly suggest you go to geocaching.com and go to the "GPS and technology" section in that forum(the "for sale" section is good for some deals too), you'll find endless info about pretty much any and every GPSR out today, theres quite a few makes and models anymore to choice from, each is different and you'll probably be surprised at whats good and whats basically junk(I've heard the bushnell's fall pretty heavily into the later catagory), you'll find very specific, knowledgeable and honest answers to any questions you may have there...
I'm pretty big into GPSR's and map making, or used to be anyway... I have a vista hcx and a summit hc and like both very much, I wouldnt go into the woods without one anymore(or on a road trip I was unfirmiliar with) but each unit is different and finding one that suits your needs is going to take a little research, and the very worst thing you can do is jump into buying one without doing the research, trust me, I'm very glad I did my homework before I bought my first one because I was unknowingly heading toward one that wouldnt have worked for my area and would have been a complete waste of money

I know that theres alot of free maps for garmin units floating around that site too, I know theres a bunch of canadian topos but I'm not sure of specific areas, theres some pretty decent street maps too(non routable though), I think I made a post on here quite a while back about GPSR's and mapping, I know I did on hunting.net, maps for GPSR's are usually pretty pricey and having free maps to download is never a bad thing...

good luck though, I'd be very interested in hearing what you decide to go with
Boo

Post by Boo »

Thanks all for the great suggestions. KLS, I will go and check out that forum.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Kuffs

Post by Kuffs »

I really like my Rhino. It enabled me to have a radio & GPS in one! You can also text eachother & you'll know where your other guys are if they have one too!
Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes!

Excal Micro 335