First Morning Hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

First Morning Hunt

Post by saxman »

Tomorrow,4:30 am I will drag my sorry,broke down old butt out of bed and into the waiting Jeep to go sigh in.

My heart hasn't been in it this season,that's why I didn't join a team,besides without my buddy flbuckmaster it wouldn'r seem right.
So I have only been doing afternoon hunts and only a few of those.

I find myself dealing with a delima this season.
The club has new management and some rules have been laxed.We no longer have to pay for guests but they can only hunt 5 times before they have to join.
Allot of my friends and fellow players want to go hunting with me and I try to take as many as I can.
My problem is a selfish one.
I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way.

I have no Cameras,Feeders,ATV,bad boy buggies,etc.
I carry corn in by hand in a 5 gal buckett and do my spread.
Daily - Every other day
I put up all stands (1 16' ladder and 1 20' hand on with sectional ladder straped to tree)

And 4 different ground blinds.I trimmed the shooting lanes,carried in the shooting tripods,chairs for everyone,heaters,extra tanks.The list is endless.

So my friends want to come hunt but they are not getting the full hunt experiance.
I want to start telling them(the able bodied adults) that if they want to hunt this weekend then they need to meet me everyafternoon with 2 bags of corn when they show up.
They can come to the lease,help carry in the equipment,sweat,get caught by "Wait A Minuet Briars" and be stung by the florida state bird,the mosquito.

What do yall think
Am I being selfish?
I want to express how hard it is to do all this work by myself in my current health.I feel like they watch me struggle and bust my hump and then they want to come shoot the deer and pose for pictures looking like the great white hunter when I did the work.

I want to introduce new folks to hunting in general and crossbows specificly but I dont want people to think how cool and neat this is having no idea about the rest of it.

I have taken 2 Ambian and could be talking out of my ear hole.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I dont think your being seflish sax, it wears ya down doing everything yourself. If you ask for help you will find that they are usually more than willing. For some folks its hard to imagine what goes on behind the scenes. If you ask for help and dont get it... then you know who should go to the lease: You
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I think it's important for hunters to have the whole experience. It's good to have them share in the grunt work and then to get skunked more times than they score... anything less isn't "real". The harvest is so much more meaningful when they've invested some sweat in it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You may find them excited to participate in the prep work. Throw it out there and see what happens.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

I dont think your being seflish sax, it wears ya down doing everything yourself. If you ask for help you will find that they are usually more than willing. For some folks its hard to imagine what goes on behind the scenes. If you ask for help and dont get it... then you know who should go to the lease: You
Well said!
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Scott. I was raised to offer not have to be asked! If someone offered me the chance to go hunting and i had no place to hunt i would be asking you what all i could to help and make it a memorable time. You should not have to ask THEY SHOULD OFFER!!!!!!!!!!
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I don't think it is you that is selfish but them if they do not offer Sax!
Why ride when you can walk!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Wow Scott, can i come & hunt! will bring the corn. sounds like you have really put forth much effort & time to show hospitality to those who come to hunt with you. the health conditions you have they should bend over backwards to help you. its always sad when yer good hunting friend can't be there to share with you. makes it so hard to go back out and hunt & get into it. cheer up you can always visit me & hunt fer scarce Mo. deer that roam wild through the woods.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
saxman

Post by saxman »

Well,thanks to the Ambian I didn't get up this morning.Oh Well.
I'll try this afternoon.

Thanks for the responses.
last year I had hel but this year none.
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

My dad and I run a waterfowl guiding business, and most of the true waterfowlers lend a hand when setting up decoys etc. Even though they are paying us to do the work, most insist that its all part of the hunt, and thats the experience they are looking for. Some guys are happy to sit in the truck and watch as we set up, but they seem to be few and far between. If your friends are true hunters, they will want to take part in all the extras. I always say that pullling the trigger isn't the hunt, only the end of the hunt. Its all the energy and effort used along the way, that makes that final moment so exciting and rewarding.

Thats my two cents.....
Wouldn't be hunting...if you got them all the time!
Missouri_Hunter

Post by Missouri_Hunter »

I agree with what the others have said...most of them will be happy to help you...the ones that don't want to help...maybe they don't get to hunt... :wink:
John Rogers
Florissant, MO
US ARMY (Retired)
[img]http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af119/johnrogers59/HPIM0800.jpg[/img]

2006 Exocet 200, Max Zone Scope,
Groundpounder Mount, Steady Eddy
Gold Point Lazer II's, 100 gr. G5 Montecs
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I hunted at a friends camp for several years. Problem was I set up all the stands, bought the food, did all the scouting etc...but when I was expected to share any deer I got, cuz the owner was too lazy to get out and hunt, I found a new place. While it was a priviledge to be able to hunt there, I had not signed up to baby sit and do everything. Wished I lived in Florida a/c you and I would see eye to eye :wink:

I would lay it out and see how they respond. Maybe you can find another friend that is like minded.

Long
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

sax that is just the way it is??Ihave a nice off shore fishing boat.WE fish 30 to 50 miles offshore to catch world class fish sailfish,mahi mahi,wahoo, grouper, red snapper. on an average day we burn 100gal of gas.hall at least 160 lb of ice.100.00 in bait.if i do all the rigging pay for every thing,clean all the fish when we get in and pass them out and when every one is gone home im still washing the rods and reels and the boat i can find alot of fishing buds. and if i dont do all the above im pretty much by my self but thats ok to???becouse thats just the wat it is.i spen my 47 years hunting trapping and fishing with people older than me which at the time worked out good ,they were more serious about the sports just mentioned than people my age?? well last year i lost the last old hunting buddy i had just 1 week before ohio gun season.he could depend on me to be at least 15 mins early, and i could depend on him to already be up with coffie ready. he was truly a dear friend i miss him.and he will be inposable to replace but i will try . we all need a good hunting /fishing bud. sorry i rambled off subject but i needed to say that know what i mean. thanks Dan??
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
saxman

Post by saxman »

Sorry about the loss of your friend.
I understand about the boat.
A keyboard player I know had a boat and I was the only one (without a bikini) that was invited to go because I helpped with the work and cost all they way to the point of cleaning the boat to put away.

My wife says I need to stop expecting others to do as I would do
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I was always told that if you are going to be successful, then you need to surround yourself with successful people. In this case, successful hunters prepare for the hunt.

Find people that think and respond the way you do. It will make things much more enjoyable for everyone envolved.

Your other option is to accept the fact that your current hunting partners will not change. If you want to continue your relationship with your current mates, then accept the responsibilities without any remorse if they are unwilling to help.

This attitude works in most relationships that are not mandatory. For example, most husbands do not cook and the wives do most of, if not all the cooking. The relationship works and there is no ill will because the wife accepts the responsibility . . .opposite goes for yardwork. There are tons of very healthy relationships where the workload is somehow evenly distributed and there are healthy relationships where the workload is heavily weighted toward one person.

At my house, I do the majority of the house work, inside and out because I work out of the house. I accepted this arrangement because I perfer to have the time spent with my wife at home to be more relaxing for the both of us.

I hope you get things worked out. Good luck.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen