too soon to rattle in S Ontario ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bullfood

too soon to rattle in S Ontario ?

Post by bullfood »

I'm taking my 1st stand of the year on Sat morning in N Duham county sitting on the downhill edge of a corn field near a swamp where the bucks roam but are very nocturnal due to pressure. Is it too early to rattle? Any suggestions ? We always see does but have only taken 2 good bucks, ten pt 145 and 10 pt 168, in 10 years.
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

It is a little early but certainly wouldn't hurt to try. I just wouldn't get to agressive with it. they will either come or they won't
time in the woods is time well spent
perrysbirds

Post by perrysbirds »

I have been doing some light rattling the last couple of days.Maybe its just me but I didnt get any responses.I even tried a decoy this evening with some rattling.Goodluck to all!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

A friend of mine's 15yo son was out behind their house 2 weeks ago with his compound. 2 bucks came in range and started sparring. He took the bigger buck. I'd say for around here, light rattling should work. I finally started seeing scrapes last weekend too. And finally it's getting colder.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Coon Hunter

Post by Coon Hunter »

Rattling has never really been that effective around here, our bucks don't get that large of a rack and i think they get easily intimidated. I dunno maybe everybody I know sucks at rattling.
philman

Post by philman »

Rattling does work but dont beat on them like your fighting a battle, this time of year just give them a little tickle and set em down... Last night I saw 2 young deer work a scrape at the same time and then play fight(spar) with eachother, they are just testing eachother right now. I dont think any big battles are going on yet its to early still. It does work at the right time, right place, right deer......thats for me anyway.