Where Do You Buy Calibration Weights?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phoenix_Tom

Where Do You Buy Calibration Weights?

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Right in the middle of working on a batch of hunting arrows (there I'm on topic :lol: ) my scale died on me and says I need to recalibrate. To recalibrate I need a 200 gram weight.

Where the heck would you go to buy calibration weights? I've called and checked websites for scientific supply shops, spam stores, and stationary stores (Staples, G & T).

I called Lee Valley Hardware where the scale came from last Christmas and they don't sell calibration weights and the guy said it was the first time anyone has called in asking about weights to recalibrate those scales but that the scales are very popular. I bet they are... if people have to buy another one every time they need calibrating.

I'm sure I could order a weight online from Amazon.com or ebay but I would have liked to be able to get one on the way home today.

Any idea what kind of store would sell these weights?
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Stash

Post by Stash »

roly

Post by roly »

That's what I like about you Mr. bstout, your always thinking :lol:
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I was hoping for something I could pick up on the way home today. But this site is great except they wanted $51 for shipping! :shock: Granted that was overnight express and I had added another scale to the purchase. I figured I might as well make it worth my while...
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

bstout wrote:In the past I've gone to grocery stores that sell bulk candy by weight. I scoop the amount I need and check the weight on their digital scale that's calibrated for trade (accurate). I print the label off on their printer and head for the check out.

Then when I get the candy home I place it on my digital scale, calibrate my scale to the known weight, then eat the candy.
Haha! I thought the same thing. A buddy at work found a website that lists the weights of Cdn coins. For $27 and some change I could have my $6 200 gram weight! LOL.

So I'm off to buy candy. Thanks guys!
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

Ok how much does a nickle weight ? 5 grams!!!
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Can you go to the local jewelry shop and get it calibrated there? I'm sure they have the weights.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

I think Cabelas sells weights.
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

For Calibration Weights try:

Ben Meadows, Inc
Janesville, WI
www.benmeadows.com

Forestry Suppliers, Inc.
Jackson, MS
www.forestry-syppliers.com
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You could contact a reloader friend and borrow a good quality bullet. Get the heaviest large caliber one you can find so that if it is a bit off, the percentage of error should be small. If he's a reloader, he'll have a scale too, and he could weigh the bullet as a double check on its weight.

Now that I think about it, my RCBS powder scale has a verifier weight that came with the scale. I don't know if the newer models have that feature.

Lyman used to sell verifier weights for reloaders, but I don't know if they still do. However, I don't think you need to spend any money to get a reasonable verification.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Thanks guys.

Hi5: the weight has to be 200 grams. The scale automatically recalibrates based on that 200g. Like wabi said, all I really need for the moment is 200g of candy - as long as the candy fits on the small scale it'll work. Stash found a great site here in Canada and I'm going to order a weight and a whole new scale since I'm tired of converting grams to grains anyways. The new scale also uses 200g to recalibrate. The only problem is that the order will come in while I'm gone hunting for 2 weeks. I was kind of hoping to have these arrows done before then so I could test them and maybe use them for the hunt. Actually, I just thought of this, my butcher has given me exactly 200g of shaved ham perfectly the last 3 times I've been there. That'll probably fit on the scale better than candy.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

U.S. nickels are 5 gm each. Not much help where you're at, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Phoenix_Tom wrote:.................. I was kind of hoping to have these arrows done before then so I could test them and maybe use them for the hunt........

I say this with respect, so please don't be offended.

To heck with weighing your arrows. Put on the broadhead that you will use hunting and go shoot them into a target. That's the ONLY test that matters! Sort out the ones that group well and go hunting.

Put a permanent mark on each vane and always place that vane into the channel. That's one variable that is often overlooked. Arrows can have various imperfections which affect flight, so you want to eliminate changes in how the arrow aligns to the string. Differences in arrow weight from one to another may have less effect than you would expect.

GO hunting & Good Hunting!!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Hi5 wrote:
Phoenix_Tom wrote:.................. I was kind of hoping to have these arrows done before then so I could test them and maybe use them for the hunt........

I say this with respect, so please don't be offended.

To heck with weighing your arrows. Put on the broadhead that you will use hunting and go shoot them into a target. That's the ONLY test that matters! Sort out the ones that group well and go hunting.

Put a permanent mark on each vane and always place that vane into the channel. That's one variable that is often overlooked. Arrows can have various imperfections which affect flight, so you want to eliminate changes in how the arrow aligns to the string. Differences in arrow weight from one to another may have less effect than you would expect.

GO hunting & Good Hunting!!
No offense taken at all buddy! I know I'm AR when it comes to my arrows. And that the only thing that matters in the end is how they shoot.

Everything you suggested I do already with one thing in addition: I number every arrow in the batch. That's something I learned from the old compound days - I'd always have one arrow that didn't group with the others so which one was it? Nowadays I'm extremely (overly?) systematic.

It's just that for this batch I'm cutting heads off of 2" machine screws and using them to add weight to the front inserts and just wanted to ensure they're all the same weight before locking everything in place. Since I'm redoing a set of Firebolts I just wanted to make sure I'm consistent.

Thanks again for the input Hi5. It's appreciated.
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s