Decided on my crossbow.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

prossbow

Decided on my crossbow.

Post by prossbow »

***I originally posted this in another topic as a reply rather than new post in error***

After careful consideration and reading I bought a Vortex tonight with the right stuff acc pack and a case and practice target.

The little local shop had just about every model to choose from and after holding the different models I liked the feeling of this one the most.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to try it before buying it, but I have a good feeling about the whole situation(even after the dent in my mastercard). When I got it home of course the first thing I had to do was cock it. I was able to comfortably cock it with just the rope cocking aid, so I pondered what method to try and uncock it, I decided with the rope cocking aid again. To my surprise it was amazingly simple. I was pretty happy at this point, but noticed the realtree had worn off the groove where the string ran through it when uncocking. Is this normal? Do I have to worry about the friction wearing trough the material of the stock?

I'm pretty stoked to get to the range to try this out. should I be worried that the scope is horribly out or should it be decent out of the box?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thank you.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

one scope I mounted was very close but the one I mounted on my spare excalipur yesterday was way off. That why they say to line up at 10 yards first off the top mark on scope then go to 20 yards and line up the crosshairs. good luck you will love it!

Take your time lining it up with no distractions. I shoot my bows lots and yesterday I tried to rush lining up my new scope and forgot to take off the rope cocker. I sit here this am with a sore pinky finger with a 1 inch gash in it and still hurting hehehehe. Be careful cause things can go wrong when you get distracted
blackjack

Re: Decided on my crossbow.

Post by blackjack »

prossbow wrote:***I originally posted this in another topic as a reply rather than new post in error***

After careful consideration and reading I bought a Vortex tonight with the right stuff acc pack and a case and practice target.

The little local shop had just about every model to choose from and after holding the different models I liked the feeling of this one the most.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to try it before buying it, but I have a good feeling about the whole situation(even after the dent in my mastercard). When I got it home of course the first thing I had to do was cock it. I was able to comfortably cock it with just the rope cocking aid, so I pondered what method to try and uncock it, I decided with the rope cocking aid again. To my surprise it was amazingly simple. I was pretty happy at this point, but noticed the realtree had worn off the groove where the string ran through it when uncocking. Is this normal? Do I have to worry about the friction wearing trough the material of the stock?

I'm pretty stoked to get to the range to try this out. should I be worried that the scope is horribly out or should it be decent out of the box?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thank you.
ok. both my sights were just abit out for where l'd like them to be, but not to much, zero it in.. if your still not happy & have a problem take it back remember its Excalibur you own. its all good with the wear 200 lb of pressure it just floods the pattern out abit they all do it but great choice & welcome. regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The rope shouldn't slide in that groove, it should remain static.
I noticed my wifes bow was the same way, right out of the box, looked wore but I know it's not. Must just be part of the color fusing process.
My Exocet has been cocked thousand of times, it still looks fine in that groove.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

At the range you will be very happy after pulling the trigger a few times.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Pydpiper wrote:The rope shouldn't slide in that groove, it should remain static.
I noticed my wifes bow was the same way, right out of the box, looked wore but I know it's not. Must just be part of the color fusing process.
My Exocet has been cocked thousand of times, it still looks fine in that groove.
It isn't the cocking the wears the pattern in the grove it's the uncocking. My new exocet is already showing some white. It is a B!tch getting old and weak and not being able to uncock by hand
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
roly

Post by roly »

Thanks Guys on answering that question!
Now I don't have to PM Norm. :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"Pydpiper"]The rope shouldn't slide in that groove, it should remain static.

Actually the rope DOES slide in the groove when un cocking the bow with the cocker. Not to worry about string wearing into the stock, the loss of camo is cosmetic only.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I noticed that the camo wore off because when i would cock it i would have the one side in and then the rope would slide on the groove as i pulled it to get it on to the other side
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

So now y'all see why Bobstout & myself like the Blk. stock. it stays like that no camo to wear off! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315