Smokepole is ready to go

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Smokepole is ready to go

Post by crazyfarmer »

ML season opens next saturday here which is by far my favorite season of the year. Its 12 days total of hunting before it goes out. I will do my best to be out those 12 days if I can keep my wife happy :D

But 75 yards, 1inch groups, 100grains of T7, and a 250gr shockwave through the Pro Hunter is a deadly combo.

3shots and I was done today. Far better than trying to get those white hot pellets to group. I shot 12 loads of of those and couldnt get better than 8inch groups.

Anyone try the T7 magnums?

cant wait to hear the distant sound of booming Saturday. Hopefully one of them is mine going off :lol:
Worriedman

Post by Worriedman »

I worked up the Blackhorn 209 powder last weekend. Best accuracy ever out of a ML.

I shoot a Bergara .45 caliber on my Encore. With Dead Center 195 gr. bullets, 5 shot 1.5" average for three groups off my Lead Sled.

Stuff cleans up like a dream too.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Amen to the Blackhorn 209 Worriedman :wink: . I shoot 100 grains of BH 209 and a Nosler .451 HP out of my CVA Optimal Pro and she's a smoker :wink: . Tyler gets the same accuracy with only 80 grains of powder and the same bullet out of his CVA Wolf. The clean up is so easy, a couple of windex patches, a dry patch, followed by an oil patch and I'm done :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

"cant wait to hear the distant sound of booming Saturday. Hopefully one of them is mine going off"

If you hear your muzzle loader going off in the distance you might be in trouble :lol:

Good Luck. Hope you score big.

Long
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D I am so much with you Crazy, Our first ML season starts
Nov. 7, until Nov. 20.

Thompson Omega, 250gr. shockwave, 100gr. T7, and Harvester crush rib sabots. Groups about like yours at 75yds.

Good luck buddy.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
wabi

Post by wabi »

Must be the season! :lol:

I got the urge to get my muzzleloader out and shoot some today. I have several, but my go-to rifle is a T/C Hawken percussion with a 21" GreenMountain LRH (fast twist for sabots & conicals) barrel. Fiber optic sights and I was able to keep all the shots in a 2" target dot at 50 yards. And that was with a variety of bullets/sabots. :shock: I shot 250 gr XTPs, 300 gr XTPs, and some 350 gr cast .457 bullets in MMP orange sabots.
With the short barrel I like a charge of 85gr fffg black powder. Any more powder just makes a bigger flame at the muzzle. :roll:
The gun won't reach out quite as far as a good inline, but it's lightweight, handy to carry, and is still shooting well under "minute of deer" groups at 100 yards. Since my average shot with a muzzleloader is under 50 yards I don't feel handicapped with it. :D
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Wabi, I hunt the same as if I had a bow in hand. That's why I don't shoot 100 yards or more. My average ML shot is 20 yards normally. I like to be about dead on or 1inch high at 75. Ill post my group sheet later. Also shot the H&R slug gun. Ill post those shortly also. I shot the same groups as the blackhorn so both do very well.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I haven't had the time to even shoot a ML this yr. I have a new to me .56 smoothbore by T/C. i hope to get an afternoon free to work-up & sight it in with some .550 PRB's & 3F Blk. powder open sights on it.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

good luck crazy.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Go get 'em, Crazy! :P
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ok, here is the ML'er group shot at 75 yards. I didnt shoot for groups since the first shot was low. The next shots are each 1 click up on the scope. After 3 shots I decided to go 3 clicks and thats the final 1/2th high shot. Its neat seeing how each click raised the bullet exactly 1/4th inch. I didnt make any left or right adjustments.

next are 3 shots from the H&R ultra slug gun shooting Partition Gold 260grain 20g slugs. I love this slug gun! You can find them for 270bucks at most stores and they rock out to 200 yards! I dont have the best scope on this gun, but it works ok. Next year im getting a better scope for her. Ignore the bottom .223 rifle shot. I pulled that on a little form the bottom right cross. The bottom left cross is how its supposed to be done LOL.

btw, look at the CLEAN cut of the slug
bucont

Post by bucont »

The ml season starts here on the 2nd for two weeks, looking forward to it as well. I get the first week of the two.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

We had our early, 2 day muzzleloading season here in KY a couple of weekends ago. It was cold, overcast, windy, and wet outside. :x A decent 7 pt showed up at 8:36 AM on that Saturday and ended my suffering from the weather. :wink: :lol: That 325 gr Barnes Expander MZ bullet did a NASTY job. :twisted:

That's 1 with the crossbow and 1 with the muzzleloader so far this year. I've got tags for 2 more does, so my freezer is going to be loaded this year! LOL! :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I've decided to modernize a little with my muzzleloader this year. Below is a pic of my old set-up.
90 grains of FF pushing a patched .530 round ball along with my capping tool.

Now I'm shooting 100 grains of FF pushing a .54 cal. 425 grain Hornady Great Plains bullet. Goodbye 1830's, hello 1860's! :lol:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

I've modernized my smokepole also, 65grns blk powder pushing a .445 round ball wraped in .018 pillowticking patch. oh yeah the ignition is set of by a piece of flint that makes a spark and ignites the main charge. ignition is instant and the old gal will shoot 1" groups at 50yds with iron sights. best part of all is I built her myself :!: :!:
time in the woods is time well spent