1 Degree Offset

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phoenix_Tom

1 Degree Offset

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I'm on my way to check out a new archery store about a 1/2 hour drive from home. I need to get more fletching and check out a Vixen for my son. I called them and they have an Arizona EZ Fletcher in1 degree offset. Is that enough offset for shooting vertical compound? I have a RH jig already but that's too much for the new arrow rest I just installed on the compound.

Side story: My 12 yo son loves shooting and has since he was 6. This year he got to shoot my buddy's 30-30 lever action and he loved it! He wanted his own after that! Then I gave him my Dad's old Win 1200 pump action 12 guage and he loves that and shoots skeet better than I ever could with it. Ahem, I attribute that to his younger eyes. But it's Ok, I can keep up to him with my new Mossberg. Anyways, last weekend on the way to our camp for some bow hunting with the Phoenix, I asked him to think about Christmas / birthday and if he'd prefer a lever action rifle, new shotgun, coumpound bow or an Excalibur crossbow. That weekend he carried the Phoenix for the hunt on Saturday and Sunday we did a lot of xbow shooting. He was getting 1" groupings at 40 yards and would have destroyed all my arrows with Robin Hoods if I didn't have him shooting different corners of the target! Anyways, long story short, he just informed me of his decision: Excalibur crossbow. Ya gotta like it when they make the right choices in life!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

It's great that he is so interested in hunting and shooting. You should have some great years a head hunting together. Good for you both!

Long
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I have the Arizona EZ Fletch in a 4 degree right offset and that works well for me.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

1 degree is fine for feild points Tom, iffy for mechanicals and a recipe for disaster for fixed blade broadheads.

Good on ya for the family inclusion!!

Hold out for more offset, the AZEZ is a great tool, but an arrow needs to spin to gain and maintain stability with a broadhead.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Thanks folks!

Unfortunately, I only got these replies after I'd already got the jig. Like everything in life I either have too much or not enough. In this case it's offset! I guess I'm starting an Arizona EZ Fletcher collection. 2 more for the complete set! The 1deg won't collect dust but I'll try RH for the compound bow. The new Octane Pro rest may not like the fletching though. I guess we'll see. Besides, I pretty much cleaned up on vanes today. I should have enough for at least a couple of years. I'm really hard on them it seems. :roll:
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
greenjoytj

Post by greenjoytj »

It you fletch you bolts/arrows with NAP "Quik Spin STSpeed Hunter 2" vanes the ones with a little kicker rudder molded into the trailing edge of the vane then one degree of off set or helical will work great with broad heads. It's this kicker rudder that generates the faster spin.

Here is the link to New Archey Product site for these vanes:
http://www.newarchery.com/products/3-39 ... in-st.html
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Tom,

They sell the "arms only" . . .so you can order replacement arms in a different offset.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

greenjoytj wrote:It you fletch you bolts/arrows with NAP "Quik Spin STSpeed Hunter 2" vanes the ones with a little kicker rudder molded into the trailing edge of the vane then one degree of off set or helical will work great with broad heads. It's this kicker rudder that generates the faster spin.

Here is the link to New Archey Product site for these vanes:
http://www.newarchery.com/products/3-39 ... in-st.html
I'm skeptical of marketing hype. Not to say I won't try a batch of the Quikspins with 1 degree but all I can say for sure right now is the Quikspins work very well in RH. The owner of the new archery store I was doing my best to support on Saturday was saying the Quikspins were really popular a couple of years ago but then they sat on the shelves for the last couple of years. Because of that he only sells Blazers and Fusions and says the Fusions are the better of the 2. I loaded up on Fusiond so I'll be giving them a try too.

Thanks Summer! I knew that and that's what I'll do for the remainder of my Arizona collection!
Groundpounder Mount
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s