Rut Activity in Ontario?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Rut Activity in Ontario?

Post by DanO »

Haven't been able to get out much. Just wondering if anyone is seeing any deer movement throughout the day. It is early I think? I haven't seen anything yet in my small woodlot. The bedding area and the feeding area are so close I can't really start moving around in there much or they'll get moved out.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
dutchhunter

rut

Post by dutchhunter »

i walked a swamp today looking for turkeys and checking for rubs and scraps i did not find any at all i was realy suprised no scraps no rubs nothing .what is going on down here this year DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
DanO

Post by DanO »

I think it's at least 2 weeks early but that is unusual not to find some scrapes and rubs. It all goes by day length so I guess I'm just hopeful.

Dan o.
XCaddis

Post by XCaddis »

I saw a couple small scrapes on Wednesday. Heading out tomorrow until Wed aft so I will update you when I am back. Hopefully I can tag an animal (or two) :-)
XCaddis

Excalibur Exomax
STS
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder

Guns are part of our Cultural Heritage. Please respect our diversity!!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

For the few times I've been out I've seen rubs and scrapes. Scrapes I began seeing the first week of October, rubs Thanksgiving weekend.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i rattled in a couple of bucks together the other day ..they are a lot more vocal with a few grunts and bleats being heard .. than a week ago .. seeing a few scrapes but their definetly not tearing it up out here in the north ....
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Things are heating up in WMU 80 , 87 , and 91 ... I have a camera full of new rubs and scrapes that were not there yesterday ...

The young guy from the local farm store called me this morning to say he saw a buck chasing a doe this morning and had another buck charge at him out of the corn with his head down while he was walking out ..

He said the buck must have thought he was another buck and when he realized it wasn't it didn't even run off ... it kinda postured , moved it's head around and walked back into the corn ..

PS : This same guy arrowed his first buck in 4 years of bow hunting , a few days ago @ 7 yards after it came in to a series of bark grunts I showed him ...

The buck was so locked on him that it didn't even spook when he dropped his cell phone that shattered at the base of the tree ... instead it walked straight in from 30 to 7 yards ...

I was going to take today off but saw some wicked sign yesterday that will have me in the stand again today ..
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I was out turkey hunting on Sunday and the little bush I was in had rubs and scrapes eveywhere and I called in a flock of hens and young birds (25) but not into range very hard to move with that many eyes on you :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
bluebarry

Post by bluebarry »

seen all kinds of rubs and srapes in the last 11 to 12 days .i border 80 and 91 , watched a large buck at a scrape for over 20 minutes last tues , he was really going to town, have not seen a lot of action in the last 3 or days since it warmed up, we did get a lg doe thurs night , there were to bucks in the same feild 1 nice 8 pt and a smaller 6 pt walking side by side , and did not show any interest in the doe at all , more worried about eating and getting to the water hole , confusing to say the least , gay bucks ???? the lg buck was a dark brown , but the 6 pt was verry light in colour almost like a spring coat , ??? ok im done ranting , good hunting
DanO

Post by DanO »

Nice to hear things are heating up. Think it's time to scout my area a little more extensively.

Dan O.
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

Havent come on any up here near perth
Z24pride

Post by Z24pride »

AS RJ said....wmu 80 in my areas are really hot!! Walked a scrape line for approx 120 yards, at least 10 scrapes!! Seen the culprit as well, grunted the entire way in to a beauty 8 pointer I have some pics on trail cam....
No closer than 80 yards tho.....
JOHNNY5

Post by JOHNNY5 »

I'M IN WMU76 AND MY SON AND I STARTED SEEING SCRAPES ABOUT A WEEK AGO. ABOUT 20 ON ONE TREE LINE. MY CAMS GOT SHOTS OF 5 DIFFERENT BUCKS ON SAME LINE.
2009 phoenix
VARIZONE SCOPE
FIREBOLTS
BOLTCUTTERS AND MUZZY BH
GROUNDPOUNDER
dutchhunter

scraps

Post by dutchhunter »

i found my first one today nice ground scrap and a real big track right in the middel i could smell the scrap .that has to be a good sign will be hitting it hard the next week or so DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

85 is lighting up. I had a couple hours to do some recon today and I haven't been out to one of the 'target' properties yet this year, so I dropped my daughter off with a family friend and off I went to scout out a blind location. Rubs and scrapes everywhere!!

Going to be sitting all day on Wednesday...placed my blind 25 yards in off the 'deer 401' according to the tracks. If anything, I'll be doing some scouting for dad, who will be sitting in the same spot most likely for the controlled hunt next week.

We're getting there...peak times are very close at hand.