Some ramblings on shots, recoveries & mistakes I've made

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Some ramblings on shots, recoveries & mistakes I've made

Post by ninepointer »

Compared to hunting deer with a rifle, crossbow hunting is a relatively new game to me. I been fortunate to take a few deer with my crossbow over the last several years that I’ve been doing it, but I’ve sure made some whopping mistakes along the way. I’m pretty sure I’ve learned from those mistakes, but I find that hunting (and archery hunting in particular) is always re-testing me.

This week I was lucky enough to shoot a nice doe and things could not have went easier: a 25 yard shot in open hardwoods, the deer fell within sight, 70 yards from my stand and I had a decent amount of daylight left afterwards. No tracking, no flashlights, no worries. After the shot, I waited and watched a few minutes to make sure the deer was down for good, then I climbed down from my stand, reloaded my crossbow just in case and walked directly to the deer which I found to be very dead indeed, the result of a nicely placed pass-thru.

I then decided to take advantage of the remaining daylight to find my arrow. So I went back to the spot where I “thought” the deer was standing when I shot it. No arrow, no blood, no hair. HUH?!!! :shock: A brief search still turned up nothing. It turns out I was a bit off the spot; things often look different from the ground than they do from a tree stand. So then I went back to the dead deer and started back-tracking. I was surprised at how quickly the reverse blood trail tapered off into nothing a good 30 yards from where the deer had been standing at the shot. I eventually found my arrow sticking out of the ground at a 30 degree angle, but as I replayed the events in my mind, it got me thinking: under different circumstances this hunt may well have turned out very differently.

The Wait:
The deer had provided me with several quartering-in shot opportunities at the 35-40 yard range, which I passed on, even though at times it looked like the deer was going to wander away. My rifle hunting instincts told me these were easy shots, but I have learned (the hard way) to wait for a better shot, which is what I did. Five years ago, I might have taken a shot at the first opportunity and potentially had a poorly hit deer on my hands.

The Shot:
When the deer finally turned broadside a 25 yards, my crossbow went “twang!” followed by a tiny, barely audible “thunk”. But mostly what I heard was the loud sound of my arrow smashing into the leaves on the forest floor. Experience had taught me that this was the sweet sound of a pass-thru. But if I was a beginner, I’m pretty sure I would have interpreted those sounds as a miss.

The Deer:
Like most times, the deer reacted to my shot by taking off at full speed for about 40 yards. Its tail was down; a good sign but one that I did not know or remember to look for when I first started deer hunting. Then the deer slowed to a trot, followed by a walk. Its tail, still down, was rapidly switching back & forth. To the inexperienced eye, it would have looked like a very nervous but perfectly healthy (missed) deer. Then the deer stopped and stood for a while, wobbled and finally fell. Since the deer had travelled in a semi-circle, it probably covered a hundred yards before it died. Again, luckily all of this happened in plain sight.

The Hypothetical Scenario:
But what if I hadn’t seen most or any of this? And what if I was a new archer and it was nearing last light and the cover was thick? Based on the sound of the shot, I likely would have questioned if I’d hit the deer at all. Plus there was no arrow or sign of a hit at what I thought to be the “shot” site. The deer left little or no blood trail for the first 40 yards while it was running fast and then the deer seemed to walk off unharmed. I’m sure that even if I was still a beginner, I would have attempted a search to verify things. But in the darkness, on leaves rather than snow, its highly likely that I would have missed sign and might gone home disappointed in my “miss”.

The Lesson:
Its awesome to see the number of new archers who are posting this year and I hope that they can avoid some of the mistakes that I have made. I know I will be re-stating the obvious here, and I’m certainly not going to get into the finer points of waiting, trailing and grid searching. There are other very thorough posts to be found here on those topics, by hunters far more qualified than I am.

All I want to say is; don’t ever assume a miss, even if there is no sign. Check, check again, check farther. Re-check. Get help. Come back later and keep checking. Listen, read, absorb; learn all you can about trailing, hunting in general and archery hunting in particular. I know, its obvious stuff, but believe me; the hardest and most important part of hunting comes after you pull the trigger. Sorry for the long post.
Last edited by ninepointer on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Very well said. I am also new to crossbow hunting & you almost have to retrain your self on the shot process & wait it out. That is what i did this year. Waited for a good shot & was really glad I did.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I know I will be re-stating the obvious here
There are some items that can not be repeated too much. Especially as old as some of you guys are getting. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Good information ninepointer. It is human nature to watch the deer run off instead of marking the shot area. I try to mark my shot area before the shot. I do this as I am estimating the yardage. I usually sit around with my rangefinder and try to memorize the yardages to every tree/bush/rock in my shooting area while waiting for the deer to come. When the deer presents itself, I already have a predetermined marker in mind. That has helped a lot of times. However, when the trigger is pulled, keeping the head down completely through the release of the arrow is hard to do. It seems natural to me now, but, there was a time I had to force myself to stay on my shot until the arrow hits the deer. Keep your head down and mark your shot. Most important things in hunting/shooting, IMO.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

An excellent and timely post Ninepointer!
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

That was very well done ninepointer!

Great information given in a manner that was easy to digest and understand.

You need to favor us with more offerings. :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Great post with insight & reasoning with it. I always watch my shot & the area, seldom watch the deer running off prior making sure of my shot.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DanO

Post by DanO »

Sumner you are dead on with those comments. It's taken me a long time to watch my shot. Only after I set up a range in my backyard and shot for a few days could I break that bad habit. It makes a huge difference in the end result.

The worst feeling in the world sinks in after you fail to recover a shot animal. I know it made me too cautious for a while. I passed on any shot that wasn't a "gimme".

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
lscha

Post by lscha »

Thanks for posting that great information. This is something that is going to save someone some heartache when they remember your words.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

Last Tuesday I had a miss. Although I did watch, through the scope, The arrow go right over her back and miss by an inch or so. I went through all those things you talked about. I watched her run 10 yrds and stop she looked around for a minute then went back to feeding. I tried to recock the bow and she heard the "click" of the string locking in place and bounded off. I climbed down and looked for my arrow. I found it broken in two and missing a vane. I retraced the shot and found one small branch I didn't see with a slight cut in it. I still walked to where she stopped and checked for any blood, nothing, then to the last place I saw her and found her tracks and still no blood. Only then I felt ok leaving
Kicking myself ever since....THat was the first shooting chance I've had in the two seasons :evil:
“A hungry dog hunts best”
Lee Trevino

Every time you kill a coyote an angel gets a set of wings. OK, I made that up. But it should be the case.
Mike P