A Buck of a Lifetime

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

A Buck of a Lifetime

Post by Mike P »

"Mister, that there is a buck of a lifetime," said the young man clad in camo as he looked at the gray face buck in the back of my Tundra. He looked to be in his mid to late twenties and was at the check station checking in a doe he had shot that morning. I just said "Thank you," to the young man and gave him a smile. It was not the first time someone had said this very thing to me. And I hope it is not the last.

I think I was nineteen when I first heard those words spoken to me. I was home from college over the Christmas holiday and had harvested a rather nice ten point at the ranch. One of the neighboring ranchers and his family had stopped by our place to drop off some bacon and hams and exchange Christmas greetings with our family. Mom and Dad would visit their ranch over the holiday and reciprocate with cuts of beef produced on our ranch. It was the way things worked in Texas ranch country when I was a young man. It still works that way to this day. Some traditions never die.

The owner of the neighboring ranch was giving the buck I killed a painstaking inspection while I and my brothers stood respectfully behind him. He turned to me and said "Son, I don't know if you realize this, but you just killed the buck of a lifetime!" Of course I just beamed with pride over my accomplishment. At the time I thought his words were gospel. Surely I had reached the pinnacle of deer hunting. But I was very young. And of course, I was also very wrong.

Over the course of the next forty years I would hear this saying many times. Every time I would harvest a major mature whitetail buck someone would utter those words. It was always nice to hear. But over the course of time I came to the realization that the "buck of a lifetime" was always just over that next hill, always in that next cornfield and always eluding me.

I like to think I am a little wiser then that nineteen year old kid who killed that "buck of a lifetime" over forty years ago. I like to think that the buck of my lifetime is still in my future. And I hope to continue thinking that until the very day I am no longer able to pursue that buck.

Your buck of a lifetime is also over that next hill. You know this. It is why you continue to go out there with a weapon in your hand time and time again. It is the reason you put up with getting cold and wet.

After you harvest that big buck and someone tells you that you just killed "the buck of a lifetime" smile at them and just say "thank you."

We both know the real "buck of a lifetime" is still over that next hill.

A very young Mike P with a ranch ten point.

Last edited by Mike P on Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grizzly Adam

Re: A Buck of a Lifetime

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote: We both know the real "buck of a lifetime" is still over that next hill.
Indeed, it is.

A perspective that becomes even more valuable when expanded, and applied to the experiences of life in general. 8)
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Looks like the high dollar camo I used to wear. I guess those words never get old. Buck of a lifetime. I still got those words to look forward to hearing. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) I hope your right Mike. I arrowed my "buck of a Lifetime " on 11-04-06 in Jackson County, Ohio and it measured gross 124&1/8th. A almost typical 8 pointer with 8 & 7/8th G2s. If this is my "Buck of a Lifetime" which others have commented to me that it is, that will be fine with me. Don't hunt much any more as I"m 70 now and the wife forbids me from climbing a tree, even tho I sneak and do it every once in a while. It seems I get colder and wetter than ever before and most of my two or three friends are still working and I just don't like going alone in case I ever need some help. No cell signal where I have to hunt until I climb a steep ridge so I know I would really have to work to get a even better deer. I still have the urge to get out and hunt as I always probably will, and when I go it is not in the dark and it's at a much slower pace. So wish me luck in the Pop-Up.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

curmudgeon wrote::) I hope your right Mike. I arrowed my "buck of a Lifetime " on 11-04-06 in Jackson County, Ohio and it measured gross 124&1/8th. A almost typical 8 pointer with 8 & 7/8th G2s. If this is my "Buck of a Lifetime" which others have commented to me that it is, that will be fine with me. Don't hunt much any more as I"m 70 now and the wife forbids me from climbing a tree, even tho I sneak and do it every once in a while. It seems I get colder and wetter than ever before and most of my two or three friends are still working and I just don't like going alone in case I ever need some help. No cell signal where I have to hunt until I climb a steep ridge so I know I would really have to work to get a even better deer. I still have the urge to get out and hunt as I always probably will, and when I go it is not in the dark and it's at a much slower pace. So wish me luck in the Pop-Up.
:( if i didnt live across the country ied sneak you away from the wife and put you up in a stand ther has to be someone on this forum that lives close that would go out with ya :?:
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:) Thanx for the kind words Jamie :)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

curmudgeon wrote:Don't hunt much any more as I"m 70 now
Curmudgeon, my father shot the buck of his lifetime when he was 78 years old so there is plenty of time left for you to do the same.

If you like, you can read the story here.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=21059
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

sumner4991 wrote:Looks like the high dollar camo I used to wear.
Good post Mike. And while camo styles have changed for hunters, I doubt that the deer can tell the difference between modern camo offerings and that old brown woodland pattern.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Great read ... Love the oldie , goldie picture !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Mike, it looks like the bucks have gotten bigger, along with the waistline. LOL
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Mike, I could have passed out when when I read your post :lol: . I killed my "buck or a lifetime" a little over a week ago but that could very well change next week in Texas. I was 8 years old when I watched my dad take down a beautiful 8 pointer in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. That buck is hanging on the wall in Tyler's room and every time I look at it I can go back to that moment in time. I remember asking dad " how long will it take me to kill one that big Pop?" Dad grinned and assured me that my day would come. Dad went on to kill several more nice bucks and some of them were bigger than the big eight but he always referred to that buck as his "buck of a lifetime" :D . Now 35 years later, I have accomplished what I had set out to do on that day back in 1974 and oh what a feeling :wink: . We leave for Texas next Thursday and I pray that Tyler will be able to come here next week to tell you all about his "buck of a lifetime" :wink: . I hope that this has made some sense, I'm having a bad back day. Great post Mike :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Kenton wrote:Mike, it looks like the bucks have gotten bigger, along with the waistline. LOL
Ya think? :lol:

When I fell from that tree in 1997 I weighed in at a trim and ready 182 lbs. and was still quite the stud muffin. :lol:

I put on a lot of weight after that accident as I was unable to exercise. In addition I got hit with another medical condition that caused me to be on steroids for close to a year and that was the kiss of death concerning weight gain.

The good news is that I am now shedding the pounds riding my bike with that gestapo youth leader I call a wife. I have dropped twenty pounds over the last three months.

My goal is to continue dropping the weight while adding points to the racks! :lol:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) It is only a buck of a lifetime when you quit or can not hunt anymore . :)
As you stated Mike the next one is just over the next hill/ridge .
My personal buck of a lifetime was only a 8 pointer BUT what makes it the BOL is it was shared with my Dad . :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Yep,
The buck of a lifetime might be over the next hill, but as the years creep by those hills are getting steeper. :oops: :lol: :lol:
wabi
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

Mike P wrote:My goal is to continue dropping the weight while adding points to the racks! :lol:
I have a feeling any goal you set, is gonna happen.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot