Fiction & Fact from Mike P's Almanac

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Fiction & Fact from Mike P's Almanac

Post by Mike P »

You knew it had to come to this. My buck tag here in Ohio is filled and I have time on my hands. So I decided to put a disjointed piece together with a little bit of everything and anything.

In a complete roll reversal, my wife is out deer hunting while I am sitting here in the house. I don't know if she just wants to get away from me or she really wants to kill a buck, either way, she is attacking her renewed roll with a vengeance.

We spent a lot of time together in the woods and on the water in the past. She still fishes with me all the time but she quit hunting several years ago as she started having guilt pangs over killing other living things. I found this pretty strange for someone whose heritage is filled with killing people but did not press the issue. It may have stemmed from social pressure related to her female friends from the various organizations and clubs she belongs to here where we live. Regardless of the source, I know she became very ticked off regarding the several thousand dollars worth of landscaping the deer wiped out around the house. What ever the reasons, I am glad she has decided to resume her hunting.

This is a picture of Annie and me after fishing for stripers on one of Becker's boats.

Recently our good friend Kenton made a caustic comment regarding my waistline and how it seemed to be directly related to the size of the bucks I killed. He has no idea how really skinny I was as a younger man so I decided to show all of you another old hunting picture. Remember, I went to college on an athletic scholarship (baseball) and was a tall skinny dude who could run like the wind. Here is a picture of me with a Rio Grande turkey harvested down on our family ranch. Notice the really cheesey beard, lol.

I have written pieces where I talk about my mother who is now ninety years old and still lives on the family ranch. I ran across an old picture of her with a buck she killed. Notice that she tied it to the back of the jeep with her plaid neck scarf. From this picture and the prior picture you can get a feel for just how arid and barren the land is down in west Texas.

Becker flew Annie and me down to Florida and back one day the week before last on his Learjet 23. As you may have gathered from many of the pieces I have written, Becker is a founding partner of a very prestigious law firm and has more money then many small countries. He just bought a "vacation home" in Florida and wanted to show it off. I took this picture of the back of the home. The back yard falls down to a canal where he can dock his boat. The canal allows him to reach the Gulf of Mexico.

I have noticed that there have been a lot of great descriptions of hunts that have taken place posted here in the forum. You guys are really getting tons better with your writings. One quick tip; make sure you break paragraphs often. The human mind grasps meaning easier with many little short stories rather then several long ones. When you start to string eight or ten sentences together it makes it harder for the reader to stick with you. Just food for thought.

Well, I think I have rambled enough. I will leave you with this picture of a sunrise I shot while duck hunting in Kansas when I lived there back in the early eighties. I really love deer hunting, but there is just something about experiencing a sunrise looking out over decoys that makes one realize the wonder of our world.

Grizzly Adam

Re: Fiction & Fact from Mike P's Almanac

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:In a complete roll reversal, my wife is out deer hunting while I am sitting here in the house. I don't know if she just wants to get away from me or she really wants to kill a buck, either way, she is attacking her renewed roll with a vengeance.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Mike. 8)

Now ... hush up and get dinner started! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Very nice Mike!!! Glad to see you've got the scanner working. Looking forward to more!!!!

I have skinnier pictures of me too somewhere.... but they're so old they're all in black & white! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

VixChix wrote: I have skinnier pictures of me too somewhere.... but they're so old they're all in black & white! :lol:
Be careful with those old daguerreotype and tintype photographs of you, Vix' ... they're valuable links to the nineteenth century! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

My isn't amazing how when our hunt is finished how we must find another way to fill our time. I suppose traveling down memory lane is as good a time filler as any. It's always good to reminisce.
Mike P wrote:Becker is a founding partner of a very prestigious law firm and has more money then many small countries.
Oh he's a lawyer, that explains a lot. :wink: And here I thought that he was the founder of Becker's Milk. :lol: JK

Oh well, I suppose it's irrelevant how one's money is made. It's how one uses it that makes the difference. I must say he uses it well. It's obvious he likes his comforts. I deduce that fact, not from his mansions, the Lear and the helicopter, but rather by the hunt blind he built with all the comforts any hunter would envy. 8)
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I like the old CJ5 Jeep.
I had one,a 76
Congrats on the fish and good luck to the sweed.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I found this pretty strange for someone whose heritage is filled with killing people but did not press the issue
I suppose you might not want to bring up the point about fish being another living thing either . . .you might lose a fishing partner too. Or get put on a strick catch and release program. :shock:

Thanks for sharing the photos and the tips.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
huntone

Post by huntone »

:shock: Great photos with the story Mike.

My wife had reservations about me killing does, until she tasted one. :wink: :lol:

I really like photography and one of my favorite things to do is to
take old antique photos, like the one you posted of yourself, and
restore it. :P

Thanks for the tip on writing, as I need all the help I can get.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I couldn't help but notice that Annie's fish is bigger than yours, Mike. Great pics.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Thanks! See the second pic w/ turkey you are wearing a hat promoting the great state of AR. :D :D :D
"Eze 18:21"
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Great pictures and story! My wife is my fishing partner now that we have moved to Tennessee {It is allways an adventure on the water with her :lol:}
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

awshucks wrote: See the second pic w/ turkey you are wearing a hat promoting the great state of AR. :D :D :D
Why did I have a feeling you were going to pick up on that! :lol:
leonk

Post by leonk »

Thanks!
The photos of your mother is priceless!