Sighted with target points...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

prossbow

Sighted with target points...

Post by prossbow »

I got out to sight in the new crossbow, and man was it fun. @ 20 yds I have it down to about a 3/4-1" grouping which I feel the scope is accurate, the difference now is just me.

I used the firebolts and target points that came with my right stuff package - the broadheads I will use also came with my package and I'm going to assume they are good. Bolt cutter 150 gr.

Do I need to practice/sight in with the broadheads? If so, I have only one of the excal white square practice bags to shoot. Will it ruin the broadheads and will the broadheads destroy the target.

Thank you,

Kevin
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Welcome! Yes, you want to sight in with the Boltcutters. You can stuff a big bag full of rags (no zippers or buttons), or do like I do - get a 2' x 8' of 3" foam and cut it into 3 pieces then gun tape them together.

I've heard the Bolcutters fly pretty good but make sure you're using 150gr FPs for practice. There's no point in shooting 100gr FPs for practice then shooting 150gr BHs.
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Well, I am very new at xbows but have shot recurve and compound bows for about 30 yrs. So while I don't give advice on xbows.....arrows are arrows and the ins and outs of accuracy are the same.

You don't need to practice/sight in with all the bh's only one. If you shoot them they will become dull. No good to shoot dull bh's at game. It is good if you shoot target tips and bh's of the same grain weight but you may still have to adjust your scope between the two. I shoot Muzzy bh's but I am sure the bolt cutters are an excellent head or Excal would not be selling them. While you won't want to shoot a bh into your target tip bag if you read some on the past posts of this forum you will see what other people are using. Maybe the cheapest target backstop is a sand bank or mound if you have any nearby. BH targets range from probably 30.00 - over 100.00. I use "the cube" but others prefer different targets.

Enjoy your new xbow package.....I sure do enjoy mine.

Long
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Yup. I still like the old sandbank for broadheads.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
PFerris

Post by PFerris »

I shot in a new Equinox last month with the excell string, factory fixed sight, firebolt arrows, and factory 150 field points at 22.5 yards. Checked it at 10 yards, 1.75 inches high. Put the 150 bolt cutters on, shot at 22.5 and 10 yards with the exact same results. I would recommend only shooting one arrow at a time into the target. I backed the target up with a bag of sand, you will need it. These bows are very accurate and powerful, it is truly hard to believe that a bow will shoot within two inches of height for 22.5 yards, but they will. Enjoy your new bow, I just love mine along with this forum that came with it. Thanks to you all for all the good info.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

yes shoot one of the bheads to make sure it flyes right. Then just keep that one on the quiver for a second kill shot if needed.

I started shooting rage heads since they fly the same as my fieldtips so I dont have to practice with them :P
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I rarely, if ever shoot at a target with my broadheads. I do however tune and spin test them. I also practice, off-hand, with field points, until I'm able to consistently shoot dimes at 15 yards, and "twonies" at 30 yards.
My adage is aim small, miss small.
Being able to achieve that, even if my broadheads are a couple inches off in a hunting situation, it's a moot point.

Occasionally, I when shoot a broadhead or two, and I've found that my POI between my field points and BHs is negligible.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I do like those boltcutters. And they appear to be well built.They pack a mean punch too. I switched to those last year after having accuracy issues with slick tricks.
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Thanks a ton for all of the insight. I got a 4'x8'x2" sheet of white foam today and cut it in 2x2 squares and duct taped them together in a 16" thick block put it ahead of my other manufactured target (just in case) took a couple shots with the field point, used 1 broadhead and it was only out 1/2 an inch from the field points (to the right) so I shot again to see if it was consistent and it entered the EXACT spot going right through and penetrated my other target bag.

Thanks again,

Kevin
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

keep your sights or scope rings tight, keep checking your brace height as the string stretches
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

prossbow wrote:Thanks a ton for all of the insight. I got a 4'x8'x2" sheet of white foam today and cut it in 2x2 squares and duct taped them together in a 16" thick block put it ahead of my other manufactured target (just in case) took a couple shots with the field point, used 1 broadhead and it was only out 1/2 an inch from the field points (to the right) so I shot again to see if it was consistent and it entered the EXACT spot going right through and penetrated my other target bag.

Thanks again,

Kevin
sounds like one click left on the scope for them and you are good to go. If not, just aim an inch to the left when using the bheads:)

goodluck
TYE

Post by TYE »

One thing I loved about having a crossbow was it was so easy "tune". Few shots and you're off to the races.