Getting to know you..........Getting to know all about you..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longwinters

Getting to know you..........Getting to know all about you..

Post by longwinters »

Remember that song?

Just wondering......

About your shooting life.

How much do you shoot? About how many arrows in a year?

All seasons, tournys, practice etc...about how many arrows do you figure you shoot during a year?

What is your prefered shooting method? Off hand, shooting stix etc...?

What distance, on targets, do you feel comfortable/confident shooting?

Long
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Hmmmmm, must be too personal :oops:

Long
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

ok lets rock n roll with this. i avg. 1200 shots a yr. total. i practice from each shoulder some off hand alot off my shooting table, kneeling. i shoot 3-D's when i can.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't shoot nearly as much as I did when I shot a trad bow. With a recurve or longbow I shot at least 5 days a week and usually 30 - 50 shots a day.

Since my shoulder is no longer capable of taking the stress I only shoot the Excalibur starting a couple weeks before deer season. At least 2 shots every time I hunt (1 before I go to check the sights and 1 to unload when I'm finished). I'll spend a little time target practicing about once a week, perhaps 20 shots.
So if you add that up for a 4 month season that's probably around 500 shots total.
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well ...

I must confess: I don't shoot my crossbow much.

I know, I know. :oops: :oops:

But, I don't.

The truth is, to me, my Exomax is a very efficient tool for hunting during bow season.

I don't find it all that much fun to shoot.

Compared to a vert bow, I think it's bulky, noisy, slow to load and a pain to use for multiple shots. I do not find it hard to cock.

I shoot mine enough to know what that arrow is doing, and I apply my rifle-shooting skill to the hunting. If you are an experienced archery deer hunter, and I am, so many variables are eliminated by the crossbow platform that there is no need to practice excessively if your gear is in order and you are an accomplished marksman who is familiar with proper breathing, sight picture, trigger control and follow-through.

I much prefer shooting recurves and longbows for fun.

But that's just me. :D

You asked! 8)
Grizz
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

I am pretty much similar to Grizz. I have 3 and do not shoot them like I used to. I make sure they are on the money and practice a month or so before season starts. It gets me in the woods earlier but I do most of my hunting with a gun.
thanks philip
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I'm with Griz. I shoot it to make sure everything is spot on and then, thats it. I found recurve and then compound more fun to shoot and require more practice to make shooting a reflex. The crossbow is a very accurate tool. But weight and cocking is not fun for me. Just the way I do it.
Arkbow

How much

Post by Arkbow »

I am just the opposite;

Since my crossbow IS so accurate, I enjoy shooting it....alot. I average 75 to a 100 shots a week, sometimes more; when I bought my phoenix a few months back, I never had a scope before; put the varizone on and found a new love; also I bragg on how accurate my excal is that alot of people who shoot compounds come over to see for theirselves;

I hunt 100 plus days a year; I use my T/C encore pro hunter 50 cal muzzleloader 5 of those days and the rest with my excals; I hunt 3 different states and I average 17 to 20 deer kills a year with none of those being "monster" bucks; I use alot of meat for me and my family but ALOT of meat is used to feed some families I know that don't have very much; in Missouri where I hunt, one can buy as many doe tags as he wishes for 7.50 a tag with no limit so that's where my extra deer are killed; 4 deer allowed in Arkansas{home} and several deer allowed in Tenn; excals used in Ark and Tenn, muzzleloader used in Missouri;

I also average at least 3 weeks of spring turkey with excals; 2 birds sometimes 3 are harvested; sorry, don't share wild turkey meat; Ark and Tenn. are hunted in spring; shotgun in Missouri with 2 birds killed there;

That sums up a very SMALL part of my hunting life;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I head to the range once a month or so during the non-snow months. This summer I was able to participate in a number of 3D shoots and did a pile of shooting. Not as much as others here, though!

I shoot off-hand, although if I'm in a blind I'll set up with a shooting stick.

Will shoot 3D targets at 60+ yards, but would limit myself to 30 yds for deer.

Haven't used my xbow for hunting anything but deer so far.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I love shooting the xbow. Shot compound and recurve since 1980 and shot a lot. Year around probably 3 times a week we would shoot. If I had an obsession that was it.

Last several years bow hunting had lost its luster. Between living in town and having to drive out to shoot and eye problems that caused me to lose the 1st and last 1/2 hour of shooting light I was about to give it up.

But with the scope I can hunt til last light. And with my love for rifle loading and shooting I really appreciate the trigger.

I know it won't take as much practice as the other bows but it will allow me to hunt with confidence for years to come.

Long
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'm with the folks that don't shoot allot.
Since I got the Equinox my health has gone steadily down hill but the bow is no easier to cock.
I used to shoot allot but if I do now I will pay for it with my body.
A while back I posted about rope cockers with more pullies for reduced cocking stress on the shooter.Don't feel like I'm ready for a crank-a-roo but must be getting close.
Anytime I make a change I check my zero and thats it.
I shoot my Muzzleloaders more than anything
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Let me make one thing clear:

I think a crossbow could be fun for me to shoot in a recreational sense.

I'm seeing a much lighter model than the 'Max in my future, to shoot toy soldiers and such with in my shop ... some winter fun. :D
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I shoot in streaks. At one time I was going through a serving a week. The longest shot I can easily set up for on my property is 30 yds. Since that's also real close to my limit on taking a shot at a deer, it works well.

I've put in some real windshield time going to 3-D shoots. I wish there were more in my area.

I always start w/ a few off the bench as a sight check and confidence builder, then go to offhand until I peter out. Snuff can lids used to tremble at my name at 30, lol, but now they don't. Practice will do that to and lack of it is against you.

I just put a V-zone on the kids Vixen and have been waiting for a calm day to finalize the sight in. We shoot matches at 30 yds, him from a rest and myself offhand.

He was doing 3-4" groups w/ P&P. I'm in trouble now. :oops:
"Eze 18:21"
B-Logger

Re: Getting to know you..........Getting to know all about y

Post by B-Logger »

longwinters wrote: How much do you shoot? About how many arrows in a year?

All seasons, tournys, practice etc...about how many arrows do you figure you shoot during a year?

Long
I began shooting a recurve in 1963. I shot 6 days per week average and 100+ shots per day from April through November. Occasionally I shot league in winter.

Began shooting a compound in 1978. Still shot the same amount as with recurve. From 1987-1990 we shot lots of 3D; every weekend starting in June and also shot a league 3D.

Now I shoot only the crossbow (wish I could still handle the others) and shoot usually starting in August, 12 shots 3 times per week average.

Although I used to shoot 80 yards I now limit it to 50 yards.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
B-Logger

Re: Getting to know you..........Getting to know all about y

Post by B-Logger »

longwinters wrote:Remember that song?

Just wondering......

About your shooting life.

How much do you shoot? About how many arrows in a year?

Long

Come on Longwinters, you asked for others now let's hear from you.
Keep smiling!
Dennis