Your thoughts on making this forum "Members Only"?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Mike P wrote:
planter wrote:We have nothing to hide or be ashamed of in here.
Well, I have to admit, I had a dream last night about grizz that I am pretty ashamed of. :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol: you should be :wink:

thanks for the chuckle

and that would be a NO to members only for me as well
Last edited by Sliver on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
PFerris

Post by PFerris »

Hey, I'm new to the forum, as you all can see.

Last winter I read the forum a lot prior to buying an Equinox in the Spring.

I have a old PSE Fire Fox crossbow that is hard to get parts for but still in great shape. I wanted to up grade to a new bow. The forum sells the product. I could not of learned what I did about Excal's any where else that is not biased. The forum also has taught me how to properly use the product. Thanks!!

I say keep your enemy's close, you will always have them. The forum has a lot of good info and people on it. What did we due before the internet, we were not able to share knowledge like this! [/b]
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I don't think it should be a members only forum. I too poked around for a month or so before I registered. Reading this forum help me decide on what xbow to buy.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I too fear that it would keep those who might become a part of us from joining because they couldn't see what a cool and unique group this is.

I appreciate your concern, though, and understand what you're saying.

A tough issue. :?
well said...

keep it open. Dont let the anti's force us to hide. We have nothing to hide so keep it public:) Most like to read before joining. Some never do and hunt with crossbows but they still read the posts day after day
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Good feedback all! Thanks :)
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

No, no , a thousand times no.

I have never joined a forum where I had to register before I could read.

I watt to know what I'm signing up for before I do sign up.

I am not concerned what "antis" read here..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Gobble!

Post by Gobble! »

i agree with ya woody
Equinox
Vari-Zone
STS
Rage 2 Blade
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

It is a GREAT Forum!! Lets keep it the way it is, and set a Good Example for other Forums to shoot for :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I say no. It will make no difference. If PETA wants to use this forum agasint us, they will simply sign up and get what they need.

I do however suggest we use our heads a little more. For instance, wounding a deer. It happens. When it does, most people feel terrible. I know I have in the past and I felt sick! Some chose to tell their story on here to pass on information about what happened and some chose to use this as a virtual shoulder to cry on. Both legit scenarios but if there are too many stories of wounded deer suffering or not being recovered, that could be used against us someday. Remember PUBLIC FORUM

I have 2 recommendations.

1. keep the wounded stories to a minimum.

2. Now, this applies to a low percentage of hunters, but they are out there. Take extra care in making an ethical shot. I know that sometimes poop happens and what seemed like a 20 yard guaranteed chipshot sometimes results in an animal not being recovered. Sometimes it is absolutely mind boggling that the animal got away. It sucks, but in rare occasions it happens.

Then there are the cases that bother me. Some people are so desperate to kill something with with their bow that they will take any shot they can get. Long shots, hard quartering to shots, low percentage shots, shots thru brush and yes, I have even heard of head shots. I have seen many a thread on here with people talking about their longest shots. Some of the distances are insane! certainly not what I would call "effective range" for the average crossbow shooter and certainly not what I would call effective for the weekend warriors that shoot the bow 3 times before the season starts head off into the woods.

Let's not give them any more ammunition than they need.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

maybe we could have a members only section for pics etc ...the rest for everyone else ....otherwise just watch what you put on the web ....by the way this forum rocks ....
bbbwb

Members Only

Post by bbbwb »

I personally would leave it as is. As has been said this forum is a great source for learning about the excal product and very helpful for providing much info.
VixChix: Thanks for being a part of the forum family. This comment also is extended to all of the ladies in this forum group. It is very encouraging and will help others to bridge into a predominantly male group. We are all glad to have you with us to enjoy all aspects of the renewable resources and the great outdoors!!!!!!!!!!

bbbwb
maple

Post by maple »

If it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Maple
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

warningshot wrote:maybe we could have a members only section for pics etc ...the rest for everyone else ....otherwise just watch what you put on the web ....by the way this forum rocks ....
That's something that would be a compromise, and could work. My Gun & Rod Club has one. It is used for member only info.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Cutter

Post by Cutter »

warningshot wrote:maybe we could have a members only section for pics etc ...the rest for everyone else ....otherwise just watch what you put on the web ....by the way this forum rocks ....
This is the best option :!: Its real easy to add a new members only section to the forum. Leave the rest just like it is now.

On my website I have the whole forum open to guest with the exception for our members only section. All members can see and use it. If your not a member you never even know its there.

Cutter
www.outdoor-talk.com

2010 Trail Camera Photo Contest Enter Today
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Both of my surf fishing sites have a members only section. Unless you are a registered member you never even see the extra forums. It may seem a bit elitist, but we no longer have strangers appearing at places we fish. Also allows us to post up pictures of rigs, and techniques, etc.

Not sure what you would be protecting with a private section. Personal posts ?

Reading the other responses, it seems most folks do just like I did- read, then order, then join.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex