What would you do.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NSIan

What would you do.....

Post by NSIan »

So, here's the predicament. I enjoy so much having my kids with me while hunting. I have been successful while rifle hunting, both deer and moose, with kids in tow, but as a new crossbow shooter, in a new season in Nova Scotia, I am wondering what everyone else has done or would do.
Contrary to popular belief, we do not have alot of whitetail opportunites, compared to other jurisdictions, in the US or Canada. We have 1 anterless tag, and another bonus tag by draw or a freebie in a specific zone.
I always keep the kids in mind, but maybe with a new to me tool, I may be better off on my own for the first one.
Oh, and for the record, I have nick-named my kids Twitch and Wiggle.....
Cuz thats what they do in the ground blind!!!!!
Nova Scotia Association of Crossbow Hunters.

www.nsach.ca
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You didn't say how old they were. If they are too young, realistically, for them to be with you during close range hunting, let them grow up a bit more. If one of them spoils your chance at a deer and your annoyance taints them from wanting to hunt with you again, what have you accomplished?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

My boys are 15 and 8. I am more concerned with the boredome than anything. Its hard to keep the youngsters focused while hunting. I do not get annoyed as such, just find keeping them amused while hunting....is...well.....a challenge at times.
Our youth hunt will not kick in until my oldest is 16. Even then it will be a supervisd hunt. So, for the most part, big game hunting is, for the youngsters, a spectator sport here in NS.

A fella can only play I SPY so many times.....you know?

Any other ideas to keep the younger ones in the stand?

www.nsach.ca
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Elwctronic games with the sound off.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Stash

Post by Stash »

Do you take them both or one at a time? If they're both with you they might have a tendency to get going at/with each other. If you just take one at a time you can keep him calm by having him focus on the nature around you rather than by interacting with the other one.
NSIan

Post by NSIan »

Stash,
Funny you mention that. I have more success with my oldest. He has been by my side with both moose and deer. My baby boy, 8 this year has yet to participate in a harvest, other than rabbits.

I so want to have both with me, but I am thinking it may be an impossible feat, for now.
My thought is to take one with me on an antleless hunt, then take the other on an antlered hunt.

www.nsach.ca
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

One thing to consider is how much room you have in the blind. The limbs of a crossbow can leave a nasty mark!
Mountain Man

Post by Mountain Man »

I'm heading out this Sunday with my 13 year old. We plan to spend the day in the blind. He's bringing his PSP(Play Station Portable) with earphones, a book, and a comfortable chair for napping.

Mountain Man
gogo

Post by gogo »

Don't know how far from home your hunting area is. If it's close perhaps take them out for a few hours then take them home, then you have the rest of the day to yourself. It's a win win situation. Just a thought.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I love to hunt with my kids, and each one gets a chance almost everyday to come along, and often do! They are 2, 5 and 7.
My 7 year old can sit motionless in a blind for a week, does the same thing fishing, pretty bizarre to watch actually.
My 5 year old is a hunter too, she can do 4-5 hours pretty easy, has been hunting her whole life.
The 2 year old, thats a whole different story, she LOVES to hunt, she has a "hunting voice" that we practice a lot, and it works, she can do 3 hours in a blind, 4 if I put effort in to it.
All my kids started the same way, and I think that I have it down to an art..
Each kid has their own "hunting pack", it has the stuff they need to occupy themselves, binoculars, quiet toys, snacks, juice and depending on the kid, a gameboy or something similar. Having that bag with them makes them feel like they are part of the hunt not just a tag along. The backpacks evolve as they hunt, they keep lists of other things they may want to bring the next time too, making that list makes up for things they may have forgot.
On the bottom of the blind I keep a blanket, they sit at my feet and do their own thing if they aren't looking out the windows.
SAFETY! We practice lots at home, we have very clear rules that have to be adhered to while hunting and they all know that if they are not followed they will not participate the next day. We have a code word and a hand signal, when the word is spoken or the signal is given the kids will go to their hands and knees and cover their ears. It does not matter if it is a gun or bow, I decided that the less complicated the better, so a quick hand movement and I know, without doubt that my hunting partner of the day will be safe, out of the way and protected.
Practice at home! Set up the blind and make it interesting for them, I practice a lot from my blind, shot angles, shoot through mesh, and orientation of little bodies. They hang out for that part too, that way when the moment of truth comes, there are no surprises.

Kids will be kids, I somehow managed to make their trips something they look forward to, that makes them appreciate the time in the blind a bit more and it shows in how they act while on the hunt. My kids are different ages than yours, but it's all I got. :D

The last two times my 2 year old came along she sat down, used her hunting voice to ask for her snack (I was still setting up), and we began, 3 minutes later with her cheeks packed full of goodies, still using her hunting voice, she asked "K Daddy, time to go home?" Didn't even have my bow cocked..
One kid at a time, make it about them, and you will have a hunting partner for life.
If your chances are limited then it is OK to be selfish too, your hunting time is yours, enjoy that as well, the kids don't need to be there for the harvest, they need to be there with Dad. Make some time for you, then put some aside for a seperate hunt that would have less pressure.

Opening day I brought my 2 year old out with me for the evening hunt, 2 does stepped out right beside the blind, 7-8 yards away, I couldn't take my eyes of my daughter, she has seen hundreds of deer but never that close, we could smell them.. Her eyes were huge, she just stood there with plastic binoculars in one hand, a plastic pistol in the other and watched them melt in to the bean feild. I never even considered taking a shot, but it was without doubt one of my most successful and memorable hunts.
Decide what your goal is, then do it!
Enjoy, have fun and be safe!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Pyd, awesome job you are doing. Would you train/ blind break my 10 yr old if I got him to you? :D :D :D
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

awshucks wrote:Pyd, awesome job you are doing. Would you train/ blind break my 10 yr old if I got him to you? :D :D :D
Yes, a great big yes!!
I could take you for a few rounds around the block too..
In this case though, all I would be doing is spewing information and ethics you have tought me. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

Tremendous post pyd.

F
ob

Post by ob »

WOW! :shock:

I mean, really, WOW!!!!! That is absolutely fabulous. :D My youngest son is 14, middle boy is 21, my oldest son is 24, and NONE of them can sit still for ten minutes............

But I guess I did not start any of them young enough. Until I read pydpiper's post, my advice for the OP was to leave the youngsters at home for the bow-hunting, and spend "quality time" with them at other pursuits.
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I missed more shot opportunities with my nephew than i'd like to admit. I let him take a crack at what ever he could first. Sometimes he hit most times he missed. The pay off is that when ever I get something now he drags it out. :)