Wild weather swings but we keep at it , (added 1 more pic. )

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Wild weather swings but we keep at it , (added 1 more pic. )

Post by R.J. »

First off , Congrat's to all the successfull hunters that have posted their recent harvest's ... some awsome field shots coming in as well ... great work guys and gals !

As I posted earlier , we stared out the week with some decent weather and a crew of 7 guys

CH got a gnarly old buck on opening day ... he got to hunt two days with his dad , and had a blast ...

Tuesday night , the group spilt up ( guys heading back to work etc. ) leaving only Randy and myself to tough it out Wednesday ... ( not easy with two guys when crews on surrounding farms are running up to 12 a group ) ( lots of pressure on the deer , and they are getting scarse in our area ... heading to properties with no hunter access )

Randy and I move around scouting farm to farm ... Weather is still good and I got this picture Wednesday morning as the sun crept up thru the trees ...

There is that few minuets during the sun rise , when it lights up the clouds and sky behind the farm with cool colors ...

Randy tries a new climber spot ... but only gets a glimpes of a deer moving across the fenceline towards another farm ..

Later Wednesday afternoon ... the bottoms drop out of the clouds , and some hail blows in ...

The weather breaks again , and only thing that I see from my next climber spot is one of many small birds that drop in for a visit ...

A missed shot , and lost doe on Tuesday , gave my confidence a knock , but I shook it off and got a " Jack Rabbit Double " when Randy was finished one of the last drives Wednesday afternoon ...

Thursday morning I was on my own ( Randy back to work and the rest of the crew gone as well ) ... I scoped out another property we use to hunt , got permission again and went in to set up around 6:35 am ... unfortunately there was another crew in place there , so I skirted their position and headed thru a clear cut between two farms ...

With a late start that morning , and two controlled hunt tags in my pocket , I was starting to second guess the extra tag purchase ... but lucked out when I saw this six point cruising across the field at the second farm ... He was travelled with his head down ... I grunted at him and he eventually angled across to my side of the field and , close enough to make a clean 45 yard shot .

Tagged and loaded , I get a call from CH to meet for breakfast ( he got off work )

We drive to the butcher and I get a look at one of the bigger bucks that came from our area ...

CH and I spend the rest of the day doing single man drives , but only move coyotes , and the weather bottoms out with gail force wind and snow ..

We don't even take an evening stand as the wind continues to howl ..

Today , Friday ... The weather is awsome ! CH gets another day off work , so we meet for breakfast and make a plan ... We find fresh scrape activity on one farm and follow , buck track thru the muddy field edge that leads to a cedar swail ...

We are in stealth mode .... Only wisper and hand signals now ... CH motions to me , he is going to circle round and do a silent push towards me from the North ...

Within minuets I see the buck spilt out between us heading west ... too far for me to shoot with open sights , and I see it bolt out of sight .

CH sprints towards the fence row ( I'm thinking yeah right , good luck ! ) ...

Then I hear a crack from his old faithfull Scoped Remington 870 Wingmaster " Sniper " slug gun !

As I crest the hill he's yelling to me " I got him ! " ...

I yell back " No freaking way ! " ...

But minuets later here is Chris posing for a picture ! :lol: :lol: ( 80 yards at a dead run and he's down ! )

Dragged and tagged ... some points are broken off from fighting I guess he would have been a 12 point ...

As CH heads to the butcher , I take and evening stand at a different farm ... the weather is perfect ! ... I pass a small buck missing one side , and end the evening with a quick picture , of one of two does that came out approx 65 yards from my location ...

One last picture ... One of the many Menonite Hunting rigs I saw this week ! ... Who needs an SUV ! :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all that venture out tomorrow for the last day of our November Controlled hunt ... shoot straight and have a safe hunt !
Last edited by R.J. on Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Awesome pictures!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Congrats to both RJ and CH(heck of a shot!!!)!!!. Great pics RJ.

Especially like the seventh, very nice. 8)
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Wonderful as always, RJ!!!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

Great picture story. Congrats on the buck kills.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations! Those are some BIG Rabbits 8)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Had my coffee while reading and looking at the great pictures this morning prior to heading out with the wife for the morning hunt. Sure beats the newspaper!

Thanks R.J.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Congrads, I planned to hunt all week but everytime I got in my treestand I had to leave for a no heat call. Managed to hunt 2 days only. Planned to take week off but never happened. All part of running your own bussiness I guess. With no work I couldn't afford the toys. Even worked all last weekend and this weekend as well. Everyone waits till cold weather comes to get furnace checked or get a new one installed
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Good pics, good stories and good hunting! :D
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Love it R.J.
Nice bucks and pictures.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Czy Horse

Check the date on your controlled hunt tags

Post by Czy Horse »

Check the date on your controlled hunt tags, where Sunday gun hunting is allowed, you have may another day for the shotgun hunt in Southern Ontario. I was planning on bow hunting Sunday untill I found out the the controlled hunt was still on here in my area.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Looks like the weather there can be variable, too. Our motto here in southern Ohio is, "If you don't like the weather today - just wait until tomorrow." :lol:
Great pics - looks like your group made the best use of the good hunting weather!
wabi
peter p

Post by peter p »

Congrats to both of you.
Nice pics.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Congratulations on a great hunt, and to CH for a heck of a shot! :D
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Great pics R.J.. Next time you guys are desperate for pushers during the week, gimme a dingle. Weekends/weekdays mean nothing to my schedule :lol:
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]