tough tough animals!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

tough tough animals!

Post by crazyfarmer »

a buddie killed a good buck yesterday with his ML'er. When dressing the buck he noticed a shaft from rib to rib. When skinning we got the peice out and it was infact an arrow. Now this wasnt a bad shot either. You could see where it had entered basically right behind the front shoulder and had exited the other side slightly back. It had to hit lungs and liver. It puzzles me how this deer lived. It wasnt a bad shot, it wasnt a great shot either, but that deer should have been dead.

I wish I had taken pics but they wouldnt look to great. The buck had a deformed rack. He was a 21inch wide 5pt. Im sure the year he had been shot he was a good 20inch 8pt. Someone lost a nice buck but that buck earned it!

Ive heard stories of arrows in deer. But this was the first I had seen in person.
Grizzly Adam

Re: tough tough animals!

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote:I wish I had taken pics but they wouldnt look to great. The buck had a deformed rack.
I wish you had, too.

Such pictures are very interesting to many of us.

And many of us could care less about the blood and butchering. :!:

Some of the coolest pictures I know of are of healed broadhead wounds.
Grizz
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I've see a few deer with sticks etc...impailed in them. in 2 the sticks were encased in some "stuff", don't know what it is called. But the deer had seemed just fine. No infection or anything.

Years ago (Oct 3rd) I shot a doe that had an aluminum arrow sticking out of its head right behind the ear. Two of the vanes were missing but one still on. So it had been there quite a while. Our bow season starts on Oct 1st. I figured "great, just what we need to have people seeing, so I shot her. Upon finding her the penetration from that original arrow was only the broadhead, I had to put my foot on her head and pull like crazy but pulled it out. While field dressing her there was a big lump inside. Out of curiosity I cut it open and there were twin fawns. Both very small but fully formed with hair, legs, and everything else. Both were dead. I called the local CO but they had no interest. I thought it was quite amazing myself.

Long
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

Monday evening one of our guy's hit a doe with 00 Buck and knocked it down at about 30 yards. It got up and he didn't get it. Thursday night I shoot a doe with a slug and she's down and dead. Dress her and smell a bit of gut. Turns out she was the same one Jon shot and one pellet hit her gut and some had leaked. A small area of 1 tenderloin and inside the rib area was slightly dicoloured. However she was moving well, feeding and didn't show any hurt when I shot her. She had one pellet in her spine/back area and 3 in her rear/side area. However there was no fresh stomach juices or intestine content in the body cavity and no visable hole in the stomach. No doubt in my mind she would have survived the buckshot hit.
Dave
ohioexocetfan

Post by ohioexocetfan »

When I was a kid I shot a doe that had a lump on her neck... when we butchered her, she had a broadhead and 2" of shaft stuck in there! She acted completely normal until my 20 ga. slug hit her.

A couple of years ago, my buddy shot a buck with a 12 ga. at close range with the old Remington Slugster during Ohio shotgun season... a little high. Above the lungs, but below the spine. Bled like crazy.. followed the trail for a mile and lost him. Approx. a month later, during our muzzleloader season another neighbor killed the buck in the same woods they lost the blood trail in. Buck was completely healed, but had 2 areas of hair about the sized of a quarter that the hair had not fully grown back into yet.

Crazy Farmer is right... these are some tough animals!
Rich

Post by Rich »

You are right CF, they are a tough animal. Here is further proof. This is my 8 point from this archery season, this buck jumped up and ran off after laying for 2 hours after the shoot. I backed out after jumping him and returned the next day to recover him @ 50 yards away. The shot was a double lunger low and forward.

dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Very Tough!! It is funny that you can hit one animal through the Lungs for example and he or she will go 50 yards and pile up. Then hit another same spot and they will travel 200 yards or more, Go Figure.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]