Our Calves are Sore

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Our Calves are Sore

Post by Mike P »

Saw another nice buck this morning here at the farm. He was following two doe's at a distance of about two hundred feet. They didn't come any closer then sixty yards from the trees we were in with the climbers. Annie and Becker are making breakfast and I am cruising the forum and read this on another thread. I didn't want to hijack that thread so I started this one. Anyway, here is what started me on this kick again.

vaguru wrote: back with the game cart to bring her down. Got back to truck at 7:20 pm, then to the butcher. My calves are sore.
I have no doubt at all that vaguru is not alone with his sore calves. There are tons of hunters who are starting to get a little long in the tooth. When I was talking to Bill T when I met him for breakfast recently he informed me of the average age of the person who buys an Excalibur Crossbow. Care to take a guess? I was surprised to find that the average age of an Excalibur purchaser is fifty-five! We discussed the dynamics behind this and much of what Bill had to say made perfect sense. Older men are much more discerning when it comes to buying higher ticket items. They do more research. They prefer the simplicity of a tried and true design. The reasons were many and varied. But for the purpose of this thread, suffice it to say the point is made that we hunters are an aging lot. We are not getting any younger. And retrieving harvested whitetails is becoming more and more difficult for us.

For the life of me I just cannot understand why some enterprising entrepreneur has not come up with a battery powered game cart. It just cannot be that difficult. I recently purchased two Powerwheels Barbie Jeeps for my granddaughters at a garage sale for around forty bucks each. Bought a couple of new batteries on the web and presto, they were ready to go and ran great. They each go about three hours with constant use. I thought, at the price of these things, surely someone could use the workings to make a powered game cart really cheap.

I absolutely believe there is a market for this concept. There are opening markets for all kinds of things we aging "boomers" are in need of. You can't pick up a newspaper without being overwhelmed with hearing aid ads. Every other commercial on television has some old goat pitching this or pitching that to us gray heads. At least the producers of beer know what we want and still bombard us with young good looking ladies in their commercials. Take that lady in the Centrum Silver commercial, I'm sure she is a very nice lady, but man, I really don't want to see her in a bathing suit. But I digress..........

Where are you backyard engineers? Where are you mechanical guru's with vision? We need a battery powered game cart.

Can't you see our calves are hurting!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Ive been thinking about you MikeP, and your desire for a powered game cart these past few months. Ive come up with a few ideas, but nothing has left the drawing board yet. It would be heavy and battery life is an issue, but batt. technology is coming a long way. No doubt a large company will beat me to it :wink:

Those powerwheel toys i have a few of, but they are far from dependable. Just ask my kids :lol: Plastic gears that strip, batteries that last 10mins, all things to peeve of the hunter with a loaded cart. When the batteries die on those, pushing it aint gonna happen

I was thinking something hemi powered :lol: :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

With all due respect for your idea, Mike, I believe a game cart powered by a small gas motor would be far more practical and workable than a battery-powered cart.

It wouldn't be all that hard to rig one up ... at least I can't imagine that it would be ... a high-school shop project.

Making one that can be efficiently produced with modest start-up costs and marketed productively from the beginning, well ... that's another story!

Anyway ... you've sounded the cry. Perhaps someone will smile upon you seniors and provide. :P 8)
Grizz
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I think the problem is going to be that anything like this is just going to be a small, unride-able, two-wheeled atv.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
the elf

Post by the elf »

Somewhere---I have seen a gas powered wheelbarrow with multiple wheels or a small 4 wheeled gas cart----but old age has started to play games with the memory banks in some areas.
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

Mike P,

Just to let you know, my calves are still sore today! Could hardly walk up and down the stairs yesterday, but am able to go out again this evening to try and do it all again!
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff