Having a downer season.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Moxie

Having a downer season.

Post by Moxie »

I've been in one of my ladder stands since opening day here in Massachusetts, with very few exceptions; and yet, I have not seen one deer. I hear what sounds a deer walking only to find four very big Toms coming through; and, it's not legal to shoot them. I'm not really sure what has happened to the deer; but, I will not pass up any stand time I get. Being in the stand with no deer is better then being at work all day, anytime.

I did have a very nice 6 pointer show up in front of one camera; but, at 0400 in the morning. He and I were not coordinating our action very well.
Terry

Quad 300 x2
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

I've been hard at it too, with no shot fired. I had a nice doe the other day that I had to pass a shot @ +/- 20yds due to obstruction. Up to then nothing and nothing since.

Hope it picks up for you, keep at it.

Cheers.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I can relate from previous seasons. I have hunted in an area where I would see 10-15 deer a day. The wolves came in one winter and the following fall I saw 3 deer in 5 full days of hunting. Stayed like that for the last several years until I finally stood defeated and moved to another county to hunt.

If the deer sign is there, then the deer have to be there somewhere. But if there is little or no sign maybe it would be worth it to look else where.

Hope things improve soon.

Long
gogo

Post by gogo »

It is very hard to hunt day after day and not see anything, just do not give up, dont let it get you down. One day everything will come together and it will make up for the tough times.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

on a brighter note not to gloat but i was in the same situation for the past 2 weeks but i got a beautiful 8 point thismornin walked out 20 yards i i took care of him so dont get down things can change in a instant just be patient and persistant :D tdhe old saying good things come to those who are patient!!
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

well by gosh lets not throw in the towel! they're moving i knowed that fer a fact & the rut is on here in Mo. Bucks are tending Does now! find the Doe's!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

yup there wer i believ 3-4 does withen 100 yards of me in the drk i heard a few snorts and lots of crashing probly 6:15 and shot my buck at 7:50 :D
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
wabi

Post by wabi »

A lot of outside factors affect deer movement. If they have been there in the past in good numbers it might be a good idea to look around the area and see if something obvious has caused them to change patterns. It may be temporary (like changes in crop field planting) or it may be long term (like logging clearcuts). If temporary you might be good just to stick it out, if long term you may have to adjust your location.
wabi
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

time to bring out the tricks, bag of corn, vanilla, apple cooker, salt block

good luck or...

change your stand location and find what direction the water is and cut them off.
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
saxman

Post by saxman »

I can relate
I have seen only 3 deer all season.
Perhaps a stand move is in order.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It does seem like a lot more midnight moves. I have seen very little during the daylight hours.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

planter wrote: PS.. Who does the deer count. Our F&G department says there are deer behind every tree. I say they're NUTS.. If I can't see them how do they count them!! :? :cry:
They don't count them they "estimate" the deer population. I think that is code for making up a number that they think will sell licenses. Hang in there Moxie, it hasd been a strange year with all of the mast on the ground.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
frisky

Post by frisky »

Hang in there Moxie. I had a so-so season, but filled two tags on two consecitive days 4/5 Nov :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

I have four stands I use depending on the wind. I will be in one of them every chance i get. If I'm not there and they are; I blew it. Besides, the worst day in the stand is far better then the best day at work I know of. I'll keep hunting and who knows, the deer and I just might get our act together.
Terry

Quad 300 x2