New Guy asking a few questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chubb

New Guy asking a few questions

Post by Chubb »

Hello, I'm new to crossbows and really hunting in general. I bought a excalibur vixen as my first crossbow, i'm not a chick but i found it real cheap and my left hand and arm is disabled and it is easier for me to stabilize. I went though the bow safety course with it last week with it and shot 3 out of 3 in the vitals and really don't practice that much with it...:-) I love the weapon.

My main question is what accessories is a must on this bow? I assume the dissipator pads to try and quiet it down, i am torn about the flemish string.

As far as bolts go i have the easton 2216 i been shooting with and i "think" ( cant remember) 100 grain field tips. my line of thinking is i should go with a lighter arrow set up since the bow isn't as powerful as the others? OR, does a heavier arrow pack more of a punch and the FPS rating is secondary?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am not a Chick either & i love my miss vixen. mine doesn't have the diss pads, i shoot 2216 arrows alot with 100 gr pts/BH's weigh 400 gr. Ppl are hung up on speed when its the Hunter behind the CB that does the figuring. Its powerful enuff to shoot pass throughs on any deer you want to shoot. I like the Flemish string, every deer i shot this yr. hasn'
t said a word to me about CB noise. They do seem to dislike the BH's i use! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

2216's should shoot well with your crossbow. Don't worry about noise; crossbows are noisy but they tend to upset the hunter more than the deer. I do nothing to quiet my Exomag; don't even put anything on the flemish string.

I do use a 125 grain target point and also a 125 grain Spitfire broadhead.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Welcome!

I don't have the pads on my Vixen either. I don't see the need for it. I do like the flemish string in a Fast Flight material.

Congratulations on a fine choice in crossbow. You will be very happy for years to come.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

There is no "CHICK" in excalibur. :) They are all very fine xbows. It's just the model "YOU" like best and what fits "YOU" the best. 8) Enjoy your new xbow and WELCOME TO THE FORUM. You are now officialy hooked to a great bunch of people that will answer all of your questions. Listen to what they have to say and you will be fine. Good luck hunting and be safe.

SPITFIRE
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Chubb

Post by Chubb »

thanks for all the quick responses... you guys are great.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I don't have DBs on my Phoenix. :shock:
I don't see a real need for them so I removed them. :wink:

As for arrows a 2213 and 125 gr point will give you about 375gr (depending on fletching and inserts used) and have a lot better FOC than a 2216. If you want more velocity just switch to 100 gr points and you'll be closer to 350 grains.
wabi