Almost had a book buck, now what???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chris4570

Almost had a book buck, now what???

Post by chris4570 »

Today was my first time out since Nov 1. The morning was void of deer.

This evening I set up on the ground. I have been eyeing this one small area for some time, past couple of years, and this year there seemed to be indications of a big buck using the area again. Nestled on private property, the buck has been calling this area home for a few years.

So I got set up. My scent wick out in front of me. Did some rattling/grunting at 3:30 and again at 4:30, trying to get the buck I was certain living only a hundred or so yards away, to show himself.

I could hear him coming. I knew he was big as I could hear branches slapping off his antlers as he made his way out into the opening.. He finally showed himself at about 60 yards. BIG!!!! :shock: 300lbs or better( I could feel his foot falls) Much bigger than "the owl". He started angleing towards and behind me, trying to get downwind of me. He was obscured by brush, at thirty yards :? . I could see him smelling the air. I was hoping he would get the tinks 69 first.

I'm assuming he caught a bit of my scent, perhaps mixed with doe-in-rut. He turned around and went back into his comfort zone. Just walked slowly. I tried grunting him back out but he refused. Eventually he snorted and holed up in his bedroom.

What to do now?? I'm sure if I had a buck decoy I would be writing a different story. Will he fall for the rattling again?? I can hunt the same outskirts of his bedroom morning or evening with the right wind. I can't get out again until next weekend.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

A decoy may be the trick .... put it 60 yards up wind of your spot , past you , when he circles down wind or hangs up , he should be in range .

If the rut is winding down , then try again the week of Dec 10th .

From what I am seeing in our area , that week should be the peak of the 2nd rut ..

If the rut is not on and and you put too much pressure on him he will head for the deepest cover and become nocturnal ..
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
michiganman

bucks

Post by michiganman »

when they have been called to many times and rattled,and havent seen the buck/doe there looking for ,he might not respond.we had a nice 8 a week ago put his head and tail down when i hit the grunt.he knew it wasnt right and left real fast.last week my buddy had him 40 yards and hit the grunt ,and he did same thing.he probably has had it done to him before and wanted no part of it.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Or got his butt kicked and is a little shy :oops: :oops: :oops:
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I wish I was better at ranging deer when I am sitting on the ground. I think he was closer than I originally thought. :oops:

RJ, my patience will be tried waiting for Dec 10th. :lol: But maybe it is for the better......
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
frisky

Post by frisky »

All I can say is try, try again!
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting