What target works for carbon bolts?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ob

Post by ob »

Many thanks for all of the information! :D

the problem is NOT over-penetration, it is the foam melting onto the carbon shaft. Sounds like lubing the shaft should work - although WD-40 did NOT work.............
blackjack

Re: What target works for carbon bolts?

Post by blackjack »

ob wrote:OK I took out my new-to-me Exocet 200 with the Firebolt carbon bolts and field points, to sight it in. I was using my foam target cube that I have been shooting into forever, with both field points and broadheads (literally hundreds of shots)............

..........and the bolts basically MELTED the foam. They were stuck as solid as can be, with the foam melted right onto the shafts. That was with field points and eventually I did get a leather glove around the shafts and worked the bolts out with a set of channel-lock pliers. The bolts are covered with cooked-on styrofoam. :shock: And I cracked one with too much force......... :(

So I need a different target to use with carbon bolts, and I want something that I can use for broadheads. Any suggestions?

THANKS!
g'day l agree with the majority of the crew l use a grain bag full of old rags they work great 2 fingers & no effect at all to pull them out...regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..