pay attention when walking out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

catcher

pay attention when walking out

Post by catcher »

Man I blew it this morning. When I got to my hunting spot I got off the fourwheeler and on the walk in I gave a spray from my buck bomb every ten feet or so for the 300 yard's to the stand. Hopefully a buck might cross and investigate. Well at 8:30 I got down after not seeing anything and started to walk back on the same trail coming in earlier. And of course a milloin things are going through my head like where were the deer this morning. And I am looking down at the ground as I am walking with the crossbow hung over my shoulder when all of a sudden about 50 yards ahead of me I see this buck coming on the same trail I sprayed earlier. I shuffled a bit and he looked up and you know the rest of the story. What I could make out of him just before he hit the speed of sound was he was a big 9 pointer and wide and his rack was pure white. Definetly a shooter, I did not look at his body because all I could see was his huge rack going through the woods. If I only stayed in my stand for another 15 minutes I might have got a crack at him. Nobody told me deer hunting was like duck hunting where as soon as you pick up your decoys another flock comes in. Oh well at least I know he is around.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I always walk out with my bow cocked and ready . . .only difference, I see nothing. :lol:

Actually, it has worked out on a few occasions. No large bucks, but, I've shot two does over the years as I walked off my stand. Another when I was tracking a buck I shot earlier too.

I'd like to see his big boy picture on here tomorrow.

Good luck!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I hope you get another chance at him
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Been there...done that.

8:30 a.m. seems a little early to be walking out. Did you have to make it to work? :wink:
Big John

m

Post by Big John »

Yep! :wink: Thats the way it goes alright. Took the decoys off last weekend just in time to watch a nice flock of Blue's come in. :evil:
But I popped two of them anyway. :wink: Go get that 9 pointer!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
catcher

Post by catcher »

DirtyGun wrote:Been there...done that.

8:30 a.m. seems a little early to be walking out. Did you have to make it to work? :wink:

Ya I was trying to get to work for 9:00 am. I have some subcontractors working for me this week. And wanted to be there to show them what I wanted done. I think that was one of the million things I was thinking about walking out. :lol:
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
wabi

Post by wabi »

It's a part of the game I guess. :roll:
I decided to hunt a different stand Monday evening instead of the stand at the feeder. Saw nothing.
Pulled the card on the cam at the feeder this evening.
Bet you've guessed it by now. :lol:
Nice buck at the feeder at 5:30PM. :?
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thats part of Hunting! It happens to us all at one time or another.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Re: pay attention when walking out

Post by Grizzly Adam »

catcher wrote:If I only stayed in my stand for another 15 minutes I might have got a crack at him.
"If only, if only ..."

That's a tough game to play with yourself.

Nobody kills 'em all, all the time.

Your day is coming. Just wait and see! :D
Grizz
hunter7558

Post by hunter7558 »

dont worry it happens to everyone! :shock: just dont let it happen again!!lol!! :lol: and from now on when you do take that extra 15 min in the stand you wont see anything when you get down! :shock: just our luck!
WISH I COULD SHOOT A DEER SOMEDAY!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I hunt to my blind and then hunt to my jeep

Sounds like that buck bomb stuff is working for you.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive adopted the "ten minute longer rule"

When im about ready to climb down ill wait another 10mins just to see what I would have missed. Usually 80% of the time something comes by in that 10 mins. Now after that 10mins is up ill climb down and if I spook something I just say that I would have been gone by then anyway so its no loss.

Hunting is a waiting game... we win and lose some
chris4570

Re: pay attention when walking out

Post by chris4570 »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
catcher wrote:If I only stayed in my stand for another 15 minutes I might have got a crack at him.
"If only, if only ..."

That's a tough game to play with yourself.

Nobody kills 'em all, all the time.

Your day is coming. Just wait and see! :D
No kidding. I've spent the last four days thinking "If only". But we cannot predict the future. At the very least Catcher you now know, there is a worthy deer. Something to look forward to the next time you are out.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:I always walk out with my bow cocked and ready . . .only difference, I see nothing. :lol:
I DO NOT recommend carrying the bow "cocked and ready" when walking! I used to, until (several years ago) I had walked some distance with it cocked and an arrow loaded, and the bow on my back with the sling over my shoulder. I spotted a target ("roving" with field points and the target was an object on a steep bank for a safe backstop) and put the bow to my shoulder. When I moved my thumb to release the safety I got a shock! It was already released!!!!!!!!!! I know I had put it in the "on" position when I cocked the bow, that has become an "automatic" part of my procedure. I figured a small twig from a bush I had brushed against had flipped the safety off. The odds of it firing are probably slim, but I'm not ready to accept those odds no matter how slim!!!!!!!!!!

If you do carry it "cocked and ready" please carry it in your hands and with it pointing in a safe direction. Definitely do not carry it on your back using the sling over your shoulder!!!!

I now carry it with the rope cocking aid attached to the string, but the bow not cocked. If I see a deer I can cock it, and if I don't have time it probably wouldn't have been a good shot opportunity anyway.

I'd much rather miss an opportunity to shoot at a deer than have a bowstring go up my back and an arrow launched straight up.
wabi