aim in rain

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bullfood

aim in rain

Post by bullfood »

Does the aiming point change on a rainy day?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I have to admit, I do not practice much in the rain. Last year I was shooting some and it started raining hard. I had a few arrows left to shoot, so I shot them. I didn't see any difference in the POI.

It would stand to reason that the arrow hitting the rain wound slow it down. There is probably more of an issue of wind during the rain causing POI issues.

In bad conditions, I just limit my range. The worse the conditions, the shorter my range.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

sumner4991 wrote:I have to admit, I do not practice much in the rain. Last year I was shooting some and it started raining hard. I had a few arrows left to shoot, so I shot them. I didn't see any difference in the POI.

It would stand to reason that the arrow hitting the rain wound slow it down. There is probably more of an issue of wind during the rain causing POI issues.

In bad conditions, I just limit my range. The worse the conditions, the shorter my range.
Yup same hear :)
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I have given up hunting in the rain due to the many variables that can lead to not recovering an animal. A blood trail washes away faster than most people think, even in a light rain. The majority of the time, a deer gets out of view after being hit. I won't chance losing an animal, even if it means sitting at home and catching up on the 'honey do list'.
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

thats why i limit myself to 20-30 yrds max i look at it as more of a scouting trip that could pay off :lol: also covering you scent is not asmuch as a issue. I have a stand that is in a great location but when its a east wind the deer are likly to wind me when its rainin i dont worry
exomax
verizone
sts string
groundpounder
firebolts
bolt cutter
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

deer jamie wrote:thats why i limit myself to 20-30 yrds max i look at it as more of a scouting trip that could pay off :lol: also covering you scent is not asmuch as a issue. I have a stand that is in a great location but when its a east wind the deer are likly to wind me when its rainin i dont worry
Well, a friend of mine made a good shot on a doe earlier in the season during a rainy day and ended up losing her. She was only 25 yards away, kicked her legs out after the shot (which he says was double lung) and he had a blood trail for a bit that was bubbly blood (signifying that he did get lung) but it had washed away before the track was completed. That hour wait after putting an arrow through her washed away most of the blood to begin with.

Be very careful and wary of shooting an animal when it's raining. Unless they drop in sight, you have no idea where they'll end up and what kind of trail you'll have to follow if you wait for a while as to not bump them and give them time to die gracefully.
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I try to not hunt in the rain. But if I have to I make sure that my shot is close and dead nuts.

Long
frisky

Post by frisky »

DirtyGun wrote:I have given up hunting in the rain due to the many variables that can lead to not recovering an animal. A blood trail washes away faster than most people think, even in a light rain. The majority of the time, a deer gets out of view after being hit. I won't chance losing an animal, even if it means sitting at home and catching up on the 'honey do list'.
X2 :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Be very careful and wary of shooting an animal when it's raining. Unless they drop in sight, you have no idea where they'll end up and what kind of trail you'll have to follow

Being colour blind (red/green) This is pretty much the story of my life, and not just when it rains. I hope they drop is sight or my job just got really hard if I cant con a buddy to help. I took a deer 2 years ago and he came down. He thought I was joking about not being able to see the massive blood trail on the ground and standing weeds :oops:

I guess hunting in the rain is not an issue for me.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Noticed that my poi changed some during 'heavy air' days: high humidity or rain. Not much but arrows hit 1-2" lower than normally at 30 yards.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bullfood

aim in rain

Post by bullfood »

I too am colour blind , red /green , which makes retrieval difficult if tracking a blood trail. I use a blood light w/minimal success but I seem to be able to find blood in wet conditions by detecting a difference in the texture of blood vs water. I have on at least 2 occasions found a downed deer by scenting it downwind, again in wet conditions w/little wind. I always call a friend or family member to help w/tracking a blood trail.