how much of the deer do you use?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Does anyone except us hang the suet out for the birds?
Keep smiling!
Dennis
frisky

Post by frisky »

sumner4991 wrote:I use everything except the antlers . . .I have found no use for those. :?
Antler soup :D :D Very good LOL :D

Other than that I do much the same as Bstout said.
Bone the meat, hamberger and sausage.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

The hart did not taste good.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I butcher my own deer. I too take a fair amount of time to do so. But in the end I am able to pull as much meat off the carcass as possible. The forequarters, lower limbs, and neck are mostly ground, or used in chunks for stew or jerky. I may get a couple of good roasts out of the front shoulders. The backstraps are made into chops and a couple of roasts. This year the entire hind end was butchered into roasts, which can easily be turned into steaks once thawed.

I will keep any rack with the skull plate attached. It's a physical memory of a hunt, time spent in the woods, etc. Plus I find the individual differances and similarities between racks quite interesting.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
michiganman

cutting them up

Post by michiganman »

for you guys doing your own deer.i use a electric fillet knife for removing the silver skins.once you learn this youll never look back.once i cut the meat off the bone,i use the ele3ctric fillet knife.works great on blue gills and perch too
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Lady Di

Post by Lady Di »

We try to use all we can,steaks,roasts,ground meat(hamburg,sausage) the bones feed anything that wants them(neighbours keep finding bones on their lawns)the antlers are cleaned and mounted.We don't use the organs anymore and everyone seems to haveenough fly tying materials. But this year someone thought it would be a good idea to give me the eyeballs( I didn't come from that far north) :lol:
roland

Post by roland »

I butcher my own deer I don't save the ribs,I take the trimming meat to a guy and have it made into saugage.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

I am the only human in our household who will eat deer. I keep the tenderloin, backstrap, and heart for people food. The rest is fileted from the bone and packed in one lb freezer bags for my best friend(after my Wife) my German Shepard Roxie.
I love the heart boiled untill tender.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
lscha

Post by lscha »

We love the hamburger too so whatever is left after 1 lb roasts (that can also doubles as steak at mealtime) is put into the hamburger bucket. Dave cleans the skeleton pretty good while it is still hanging for the hamburger, including rib meat.

We love the heart and so does everyone else in camp. Quick fried in olive oil and butter and dredged in Fry Magic until just pink inside. No leftovers.

Our deer are very mild and I rarely put anything with it to change the taste such as bacon, etc.

It used to take me hours to clean the neck roast in all the folds but it was really good. I don't work that hard anymore but this year we are going to try pressure cooking it and pulling the meat for barbecue.

The liver is milder than beef liver but we stopped using it when liver flukes were discovered years ago. I saved one this year that looked really good and will try it again.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381