Late season archery hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I enjoy late season most of all. Theres something about seeing all those tracks in the snow and the sight of a deer with a snow background. Odds are you won't see a buck but the does a super educated after being shot at with a gun so to me a late season doe is a challange. also the blood trail in the snow is to die for. Nothing like snow for tracking. I can dress for the cold. Bring on the deer! :D
Mike P

Re: Late season archery hunting

Post by Mike P »

bstout wrote:The only human foot prints I see in the snow belong to me.
Isn't that just the greatest bstout!

I also love that feeling. For me it is January hunting when the sounds of the muzzleloaders are just a memory. I usually see more in January then I do during all the combined prior months of the hunting season. All the animals are in survival mode and movement during daylight hours is no longer optional.
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

AMEN to what bs said. our rifle season is down right scary
time in the woods is time well spent
Grizzly Adam

Re: Late season archery hunting

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:I'm happy to see it end and I'm alone in the woods with my black Vixen once again. The only human foot prints I see in the snow belong to me.
Mike P wrote:
bstout wrote:The only human foot prints I see in the snow belong to me.

Isn't that just the greatest bstout! I also love that feeling.
Seems to me that y'all boys need to thin some of the people out in your respective necks of the woods! :P

Overpopulation is always a problem ... and a little research and looking at the numbers tells me that you guys have one!

Maybe you should contact your controlling agencies and set up a season! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

I agree with bs, and Mike P. I loved that season when I lived in NY and Pa. Now, living in Va, have only had snow on the ground one day in the past 8 years! I hunted last Christmas Day, in nothing more than the flannel camo shirt. I wished 3 does, Mery Christmas, as I let them walk inside 20 yds. That was fun, but I still miss tracking snow!
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

vaguru wrote:I agree with bs, and Mike P. I loved that season when I lived in NY and Pa. Now, living in Va, have only had snow on the ground one day in the past 8 years!
I understand.

I grew up in the frigid midwest, in decades when winter was much more severe than it typically is now. When I was a boy, there was some snow on the ground pretty much from Halloween to April Fool's.

We often don't see even .25" of snow a year here in eastern NC.

You must be in eastern VA, or the piedmont somewhere ... 'cause Virginia gets snow in the mountains! :D
Grizz
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

Grizz,

I live in the Shenendoah Valley, right smack in the middle of the state, what is termed the I81 corridor. I have seen snow here, just not for deer season. Most of what we get is late Jan, early Feb.
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

vaguru wrote:Grizz,

I live in the Shenendoah Valley, right smack in the middle of the state, what is termed the I81 corridor. I have seen snow here, just not for deer season. Most of what we get is late Jan, early Feb.
Ah, I see.

I have many friends in the western part of the state, in Tazewell and Bland counties ... my friends in Burkes Garden get a lot of snow. In fact, we saw flurries the third week in October! :D

Your area is beautiful, too. 8)
Grizz