hunting alone

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

hunting alone

Post by gogo »

Many of us here are painted with the same brush we like to hunt alone. Unless your hunting partner is as dedicated as you are going alone is the only way to be. No excuses dont feel good , to hot ,to cold have to rake the lawn ect ect. We just get our hunting stuff together and go, the best feeling in the world is being in the woods alone. It is a little bit dangerous being out there by yourself but you do it anyways. So the ones out there that lose their hunting buddies hang in there you just may like hunting even more. Take care and good hunting.
old fart jim

Post by old fart jim »

have always hunted alone untill the last 2 yrs. met a fellow that loves to hunt and dedicated. we hunt the same area and only approach if the wind direction is right. dont' have to worry about the other person doing something to screw you up. it's a real treat to have a hunting partner like that. our stands are several hundred yds apart but we share info on what we've seen and what we think the deer are doing.
time in the woods is time well spent
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I prefer to hunt alone, on my schedule, my way. I take the normal precautions like safety vest, cell phone, engaged brain. My rifle hunting buddy died last year- best deer hunter I ever met- even then we were a mile or more apart when hunting together, just got together at designated time. Solitude is a gift I treasure, so I seek out the places where others choose not to venture.
Love the comradeship of deer camp but enjoy being out there alone, esp when it comes to bow hunting.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
xbhntr

hunting alone

Post by xbhntr »

I've hunted alone with the bow for over 10 years. It has it's ups and downs. We all go through the " I've had enough of this sport " phase. The next day brings a new desire to start again. Being retired for 5 years I put in many hot and cold hours of seeing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!! But the days of nature amok regenerates me. Ray
Grizzly Adam

Re: hunting alone

Post by Grizzly Adam »

gogo wrote: It is a little bit dangerous being out there by yourself ...
Yes, it can be ... and sometimes is. Occasionally, it's fatal.

I hunt alone 99% of the time ... and I mean alone. Often, there is no cell phone signal. There is no one near enough to hear your shouts, or a whistle ... no one to come by and find you. The terrain is plenty challenging, in places absolutely inhospitable and impassable, and parts of it can kill you if you aren't prudent. There are plenty of predators that might cause you trouble if startled, threatened, or if you're hurt and disabled. There are poisonous snakes galore.

Does that bother me?

No, it doesn't. In fact, I rather relish the fact that most of my hunting is done in areas that are as nearly truly wild as you can find on the east coast. I kind of like knowing that my time in the woods could be the death of me, if something happened. It's like sauce ... it adds flavor to the experience.

Don't get me wrong. I have no death-wish, but knowing I'm vulnerable sharpens the edge of my awareness.

I have faced the fact that I could easily die doing what I love, if something happens. I don't want to, and I'll do everything I can not to, if the possibility looms ... but I won't let knowing it could happen stop me. Death is inevitable. If God should allow me to be taken out while hunting or being in the wild, then I would consider that a matter of His grace ... far superior to lingering in a diseased state or expiring in a nursing home.

That's just me.
Grizz
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I always tell my wife, if I should die in the woods for one reason or another know that I die happy doing what I love to due. There are far to many boring way to go. Having a great buck stop your ticker is'nt at all a bad way to go. :wink:

Grizzly Adam wrote:
gogo wrote: It is a little bit dangerous being out there by yourself ...
Yes, it can be ... and sometimes is. Occasionally, it's fatal.

I hunt alone 99% of the time ... and I mean alone. Often, there is no cell phone signal. There is no one near enough to hear your shouts, or a whistle ... no one to come by and find you. The terrain is plenty challenging, in places absolutely inhospitable and impassable, and parts of it can kill you if you aren't prudent. There are plenty of predators that might cause you trouble if startled, threatened, or if you're hurt and disabled. There are poisonous snakes galore.

Does that bother me?

No, it doesn't. In fact, I rather relish the fact that most of my hunting is done in areas that are as nearly truly wild as you can find on the east coast. I kind of like knowing that my time in the woods could be the death of me, if something happened. It's like sauce ... it adds flavor to the experience.

Don't get me wrong. I have no death-wish, but knowing I'm vulnerable sharpens the edge of my awareness.

I have faced the fact that I could easily die doing what I love, if something happens. I don't want to, and I'll do everything I can not to, if the possibility looms ... but I won't let knowing it could happen stop me. Death is inevitable. If God should allow me to be taken out while hunting or being in the wild, then I would consider that a matter of His grace ... far superior to lingering in a diseased state or expiring in a nursing home.

That's just me.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

agingcrossbower wrote:I always tell my wife, if I should die in the woods for one reason or another know that I die happy doing what I love to due. There are far to many boring way to go. Having a great buck stop your ticker is'nt at all a bad way to go. :wink:
Here's a link to a story I once wrote about exactly that.

Perhaps you'll enjoy it:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hort+story
Grizz
roland

Post by roland »

I have a partner that I hunt with, we hunt together about 1/2 the time the other half alone. We have hunted together for aleast 20 years. We always split the deer, no matter who shoots it or if only one of us are hunting, works good for us.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

roland wrote:I have a partner that I hunt with, we hunt together about 1/2 the time the other half alone. We have hunted together for aleast 20 years. We always split the deer, no matter who shoots it or if only one of us are hunting, works good for us.
This is exactly what me & my Buddy Angelo do. Sometimes I shoot all the dear & am very happy to share with him. This year during our ML hunt he shot the biggest deer as compared to the small doe I got so over the years it has worked well for us to split all the harvest...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Sounds like we are a bunch of loners here!!!!!!! hehehe I carry my cell phone and take my backpack with my gear that even if I get lost in the bush I can servive the night. I always tell my wife where I am going and if I go to a second or third bush I phone her and let her know.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Alone here most of the time too. Carry a cell phone in case I need to call for a "deer ambulance". :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

I hunt alone even though it is more of a danger.Some locations I hunt are not in cell phone reach and that adds to the danger.When hunting Gobblers and Whitetails less noise and movement is better.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Most of the time I hunt alone also. The first couple of years I wished I had a partner but now I tend to love it.

Bought a game cart cause sometimes it is to much work to have someone meet me to hall out the deer.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

One of the things I really love about duck hunting is the camaraderie. You can have a great time in the duck blind with your fellow hunters. It is very social.

Crossbow hunting with an arrow does not lend itself to the same environment as duck, quail or pheasant hunting. It is the nature of the sport to be done alone.

That being said, I think one can combine some of the social aspects associated with other hunting and incorporate it into crossbow hunting for whitetails. It is the way that I do it. I hunt with four good friends.

We are together before we go out to our chosen spots. We reunite when the hunt is over. We do not hunt together although there have been occasions when we have all set up within sight of one another in a sort of skirmish line attempting to harvest a particular deer.

Now this is not the case all the time. Here in the neighborhood I usually hunt alone or Doc will join me. It is out at the farm that we all get together. And now I have a "wild card" thrown into the equation with Annika trying to harvest a buck. But hunting with the wife does not really count as I have no weapon in hand.

I know there are other guys like me here at the forum that hunt with other guys or groups and have been doing so for years. It is a very special thing. Getting together with other guys/gals makes the entire experience more enjoyable in my estimation. Sharing the victories, defeats and close calls at the end of the day over a good meal with hunting companions is pretty close to as good as it gets in my book.

Hunting whitetails alone is rewarding.

Sharing the experience with others is something to be cherished.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote:Hunting whitetails alone is rewarding.

Sharing the experience with others is something to be cherished.
That's what I do when I hunt with my brother ... we meet before we go out, and we get together when we come in ... nothing like it.

Sadly, I just don't have anyone much to hunt with here where I live. I used to hunt with some guys, but one quit and the other is a pro now. It's kind of hard to find people to hunt with, 'cause many think hunting is riding around in a truck looking for deer to shoot at, and many others are dog hunters ... and I'm not against the latter ... but if you're not "in", you're not "in" ... if you know what I mean.

So ... mostly, I hunt alone.

But I do love hunting with my brother.

There's nothing like brothers! :D 8)
Grizz