Palmated Buck Mount

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Palmated Buck Mount

Post by Mike P »

I visited with our taxidermist yesterday for about an hour. We shoot him a ton of business every year. We, the four partners, are by far his largest clients. In the past four years Doc alone has mounted two deer, three pigs and a ten foot long alligator. Shrader accounted for three bucks and a pig. His taxidermist bill from the guy in Africa probably amounts to a small fortune. I provided two deer mounts to his work load. Becker had a pig mounted and gave it as a gift to a particular prosecuting attorney. The imagery there speaks for itself.

In return for all this business we get priority treatment and by our perception, superb quality and attention to detail. We do not receive any "quantity" discounts. The guy is a one man show and we do not begrudge him his profit. I was there to discuss the palmated buck mount.

As most of you know, the coyotes did a number on this buck before I was able to recover him. There was extensive damage around the mouth area when they went for the tongue. The cape was irreparably damaged and unsuitable for a mount. As I still wanted to mount this buck, we decided to use a cape from a suitably sized different buck. I was provided a cape this year from a friend at one of our neighboring farms from a buck he declined to mount.

It has really been bothering me about my decision to use this replacement cape. Of course, no one would really know this was not the actual palmated buck. But I would. And it weighed heavy on me.

I broached this subject with my wife and told her I think we should reconsider the decision to mount the palmated buck with the "donor" cape. She is very much against "skull" mounts even though she is from Europe where that is the "norm" for mounting deer. She didn't want a skeleton in her house! I think the recent plunge back into whitetail hunting helped soften her stance on this issue. She agreed over the weekend to allow me to have the palmated buck finished in a "European" style.

Hence, I had the meeting with the taxidermist. The decision is made. This will be my first mount in this manner.

I know some of you have mounts in this style. What do you think? Do you like them? If so, why? Anyone have any pictures to share of this style of mount on their wall or other interesting manner of display? I would love to see them.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Mike, with the invitation to return to Texas next year and the fact that I already have one buck being mounted, I decided to go this route with the buck that I killed in Texas. When we took him to the taxidermist, he had a lot of european mounts in his studio and most were very impressive. One particular mount that he had on display was a very symmetrical 10 point that was mounted on a pedestal with old rusted barbed wire winding down the base of the post and a few tiny cactus plants on the main platform where the skull sits. It was very fitting for the memory of the hunt that I experienced. He said that it should be ready by Christmas :wink: . I'll see if he can send me a picture of the one in his studio :D .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Normous

Post by Normous »

"norm" approved :D

This one was done for me by member roly and I like to display it proudly.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bucont

Post by bucont »

I do not have one, but always thought this was pretty cool.

Mike, I am sure you have a good photo of this dude that could be used to create the art work.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Grizzly Adam

Re: Palmated Buck Mount

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote: It has really been bothering me about my decision to use this replacement cape. Of course, no one would really know this was not the actual palmated buck. But I would. And it weighed heavy on me.

She agreed over the weekend to allow me to have the palmated buck finished in a "European" style.

Hence, I had the meeting with the taxidermist. The decision is made. This will be my first mount in this manner.
Bravo, Mike!

I think you've made an excellent decision. You're exactly right ... the other proposed mount would be a different buck wearing the palmated's antlers. Weird. Fake. Not good (in my opinion). :D

European Mounts are cool. My brother does his own, with excellent results.

I also like plain rack mounts, like the one shown above.

You'll be pleased! 8)

Note: You could mount two coyote jawbones on the plaque, too! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I have one hanging in my home. Actually, Number 1 in my home :wink: My first deer happened to be a buck, not a big buck but my first deer taken ever and I decided to go european style since hes not huge. But european mounts I do find tastefull. The pic bucont posted is beautiful, and I have seen skulls dipped in camo too that looked quite good.

I think you may find that the european mount is a nice addition to the collection.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Bow Life

Post by Bow Life »

I have a couple done at home. When I get home this weekend I will take a picture and post it.
Mike

Excalibur Exocet
Drop Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser 2 Graphite Bolts
100 Wasp BroadHeads

Greatness is not in where we stand, but in what direction we are moving.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

We call them "Texas" mounts and that is all we've done and we do them ourselves. I think they look bad-ass. We've got 3 curing right now and then we'll boil them to get all the guts out.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
saxman

Post by saxman »

Mine wont be ready till April :( :(
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dspa

Post by dspa »

I'm a Taxidermist in PA. I've done numerous mounts with replacement capes. Unless there is something unusual about the original cape a replacement of the same or close neck size and time period of kill works fine. For instance early archery or later when deer has winter coat. You don't want a cape with a winter coat on an early archery kill. I believe a nice buck is even more impressive as a shoulder mount. That's my thinking.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Mike,

Here is a simple wall mount. I think the idea of a pedestal mount is a great idea.

Rich

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Norm, Rich, bucont, you have made me feel a lot better about my decision. I think those mounts look great. Bow Life, I am looking forward to seeing yours. Ray, I had no idea you were going the European route. Grizz, thanks for your kind words. Dspa, I understand where you are coming from. The hang up is with me. I would always know it was not my buck and it would bother me.

I think the plaques look great! I will give a great deal of thought as to how the european mount of the palmated buck is presented. In the meantime I am going to play with some antler mounts on plaques with some of the antlers I have here from past bucks. I might even buy one of those kits from mountain mikes that allow you to do your own european mount as I have plenty of antlers to play with.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote: I might even buy one of those kits from mountain mikes that allow you to do your own european mount as I have plenty of antlers to play with.
Yes ... but when you kill a fresh one and want to do it, would the Swede be cool with that deer head boiling on the stove? :P :lol:
Grizz
michiganman

buck

Post by michiganman »

i had one of my earlier bucks cape tore up.i decided to use the cape of another buck,and was happy i did.i just wanted to buck mounted as i seen him in the woods.was a honor to do it.so either way you feel about this buck will be fine.its how you want to honor your hunt for him.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Yes ... but when you kill a fresh one and want to do it, would the Swede be cool with that deer head boiling on the stove? :P :lol:
Lol, it will have to wait in line grizz. Right now it seems my head is the one being boiled on the stove. :roll: