I can do it

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hiking

I can do it

Post by hiking »

I bought my exocet 200 last febuary, and have since added all the extras and shot it hundreds of times. I made my own arrows and am real comfortable with the whole set up. the only nagging question in my mind was will I be able to cock it in my climbing tree stand.
monday after a morning hunt, I put a field tip in and shot into the ground, then got out the rope cocker and got it ready to fire again, no problem at all, setting it up took a little longer but cocking it was as easy as on the ground. I don't think it would of mattered, but I wanted to know.
now if I ever see a shootable deer it's nice to know (if I miss) I won't have to get down to re-cock.
It is a awsome hunting weapon.
exocet 200
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I just started this year with the xbow. I have wondered that myself. Course if I hunt out of my ground blind it should be a bit easier.

Long
saxman

Post by saxman »

It's always good to pratice some in real hunting conditions,ie,wearing the clothes you would normally wear,cocking the bow,etc.
Very good to do that.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
picasso

Post by picasso »

It was a good idea to practice cocking your xbow in your treestand and under normal hunting conditions etc,
Last year I took a shot with my xbow and missed as the string hit the tip of my glove.
The buck barely moved and did not really spook. I had another shot but the only problem was that I couldn't cock my xbow. The tether that attached me to the tree left me with almost no movement to recock and I had to watch as the deer walked away.

Picasso
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

This is an area where vertical bows have an advantage over crossbows. The ability to quickly and quietly get a follow-up shot. Second shots are more common than many archers would like to admit.

I once killed a deer with a 2nd shot from my crossbow while in a treestand. On another occasion I was able to draw my crossbow when the deer was looking away, but the deer busted me at the "click" of the action. It's the "click" gets ya! :lol:

Perhaps vertical bows should only be allowed during gun seasons, due to their rapid fire capability :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Nice to know. At 69, I hunt mostly from I person ladderstands, the shooting rail makes cocking difficult if not impossible; and certainly not fast or quiet enough for a second shot. All the more reason to bear down on the first shot.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

I simply can't relate as I've never missed a deer with my CB! Of course I just got my CB this past August as a 65th BD gift and have only taken one shot on a deer - but should that matter? :)

The two time out hunting with my CB have been from the ground so I've not concerned myself with tree stand re-cocking issues. I do, at times, hunt from a climber. It is an API "bowhunter" model having no rail so I don't anticipate any real issue with regards to re-cocking for a 2nd shot. I'd practice a few times for sure but like someone already posted I suspect the the "click" will likely alert the deer and if it doesn't take off will probably look up and bust me. But hey, who knows for sure one just might get a 2nd shot off.

Take care...
picasso

Post by picasso »

ninepointer wrote:This is an area where vertical bows have an advantage over crossbows. The ability to quickly and quietly get a follow-up shot. Second shots are more common than many archers would like to admit.

I once killed a deer with a 2nd shot from my crossbow while in a treestand. On another occasion I was able to draw my crossbow when the deer was looking away, but the deer busted me at the "click" of the action. It's the "click" gets ya! :lol:

Perhaps vertical bows should only be allowed during gun seasons, due to their rapid fire capability :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
You can be sure that I will be able to cock my xbow in my treestand if I ever have to in the future.
I try to make my rookie mistakes only ONCE! :wink: