zipper lube?????

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

Not much work scheduled today (had a doctor's appointment)so I took advantage of the leisure time to get the blind I had brought home in shape.

Decided to stay with a "natural" lubricant for the zippers so I dug out a can of my homemade muzzleloader lube (a mix of neatsfoot oil and beeswax).

Hmmmmm ...........how to easily apply it? (it's a paste similar to "bore butter" for muzzleloaders)

Tried a cotton cleaning patch, but it was too difficult to hold on to while attempting to spread the lube. Then it hit me :idea: an old jersey glove :!:
Dip an index finger in the lube, rub it on the thumb, then rub it on each side of the opened zipper. Worked like a charm and the zippers glide smoothly now!

I also took time to paint the outside of the windows flat black like the other blind.
This gives the blind a similar appearance with the windows open or closed.
I have noticed in the past that some deer seem to pick up on the change in looks when I had the windows open. Since trying the blackened windows I have not had a deer give the blind the nervous looks when entering the food plot.

I have the blind opened up inside my shop to air out for a few days, then it will be ready to replace the old blind if/when needed. :D
I'll report back on the zipper lube success or failure after it has been out in the weather for a couple months. :wink:
wabi
Arkbow

Zippers

Post by Arkbow »

Rail lube or 3in1 oil;
Hunt hard, respect what you hunt and waste no meat;
Adam

Post by Adam »

I always use graphite, it wont freeze up in cold weather,has no smell and can be applied by rubbing a pencil lead over the teeth of the zipper.
Belt&Suspenders

zipper lube

Post by Belt&Suspenders »

Chap stick can work in a pinch. Just my 2 cents worth.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

all I have ever used on zippers is margarine. Always have it in the house and always easy to find. Works great on Zippers. Everyone has margarine in the spam.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Mike P wrote:I have to say I am most disappointed concerning this thread.

When I saw the title "Zipper Lube" I eagerly clicked expecting something completely different being discussed. :oops:

Geeze, I need to get back out in the woods!
What were you expecting Mike? :?

What are you trying to tell us? :?

Are your true colors shining through? :wink: :P

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is it safe to assume that if it wasn't for the time you spend outdoors, we'd be seeing more of Obama ? :shock: :P
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
vocajac

Post by vocajac »

mink oil or silicone