Rope cocking aid

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longwinters

Rope cocking aid

Post by longwinters »

A few of you might remember that I just got into xbows this fall with my Exocet. I use the rope cocking aid and noticed that it is getting frayed/fuzzy down on about the last 6" or so from the ends. Don't see anything rough that would cause it. Is this common or am I missing something?

Long
Island Hunter

Post by Island Hunter »

New to it myself, but I have noticed mine was getting frayed too. My son's father-in-law has a Barnett Predator, and he had the same rope cocker. My son was showing him how to uncock it, and the rope broke. Pieces went flying, the handle hit him on the side of the head, he was lucky and didn't get hurt. It broke about 6" from the handle, so I would consider changing it, or it could get ugly, quick. Anyone know where to get replacement rope? :o :roll:
(2013) MATRIX 355
Tact-Zone scope
18" Diablo's
150gr Boltcutters
Danny's Flemish String
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers
(2009) EXOMAX 350
Varizone Scope
20" Fire Bolts
150gr Boltcutters
Ground Pounder Mount
Boo Strings
STS
axis

Post by axis »

Hey, Call Dan Miller @ Horizontal Archery. A new rope is $5.00. And he could give you some tips about too. :wink: PH: 740-483-2312

Axis
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

It is normal wear and tear due to friction on the cord while cocking. I have replaced mine with 1/4 inch rope from marvins twice in the last year.
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I am not sure why you have much if any wear . Have been using the same rope on mine from about 1994 when I purchased my 1st Excaibur . Have been using it for 3d shooting and hunting . 1000's of shots per year . Are the wheels in the hooks turning or have they been damaged to cause wear ?
blackjack

Re: Rope cocking aid

Post by blackjack »

g'day l'm pretty new myself with Excalibur anyhow, mine still looks like new with about 400 shots (cocks) to its credit how many would yours have. regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

axis wrote:Hey, Call Dan Miller @ Horizontal Archery. A new rope is $5.00. And he could give you some tips about too. :wink: PH: 740-483-2312

Axis
Don't get me wrong here:

We all love Danny Miller ... but that's not a good deal! :lol:

I realize he has to make a profit, and that's fine. He deserves it. A good man all around, who has to make a living. That's understood.

But any low-stretch 1/4" rope of sufficient break strength will do, and you can buy a pretty good hank for $5.00! :D

We strung up a 550 lb. bear with some of the same rope I'm currently using on my cocking aid ... I bought 50' of it at Home Depot, and I don't think it was much more than $5.00, if it was more.

Just a tip. 8)

Buy a new Excal off of Danny ... a better deal, and better profit for him! :P
Grizz
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Did you check the rollers on the claws? Mine were frozen and string frayed.
Stosh
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Reading this had me concerned enough to just go and check... No wear that I could detect. This is with perhaps 200-250 shots since getting my Exocet this past August.

Take care...
wabi

Post by wabi »

bstout wrote:
Stosh wrote:Did you check the rollers on the claws? Mine were frozen and string frayed.
Stosh
Stosh is right on. Make absolutely sure you can rotate the brass rollers on your claws with your fingers with NO effort. When one of the pulleys seizes it will cause the rope to ride up on the side (sharp edge) of the pulley.

Don't attempt to oil the frozen pulley.

It must be disassembled and repaired and it's easy to do once you know how without damaging the claw. :wink:
Why no oil Bob?
I don't have an Excalibur aid, I bought a Horton because I like the web loops instead of the hard handles. It has become squeaky (rollers hanging up) a couple times over the years and a squirt of RemOil cured it without any problems.
wabi
bowaholic

Post by bowaholic »

It's ironic that you post this, just yesterday I was cocking my bow when my cocking aid exploded!!, lucky that I just started to lift, about 3 inches when the rope broke...no damage to the bow but have to buy a new cocking aid as the hooks went flying and the rope got shorter!!...the rope was only 2 yrs old and looked in great shape...just goes to show anything can happen!!
cptmobile

Post by cptmobile »

Does the pully spin on the axle, or the axle spin in the claw? Checked mine, has always worked fine and spins freely but both axles are spinning in the claw and the pulley is stuck on the shaft.
Thanks
Jeff
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

I checked mine and the shaft/pulley turns in the claw/hook.

Long
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Bob, I just bought a new one and it also turns the shaft. Does not turn freely. I will try some Jig A Loo.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
BUS314

HMMmmm

Post by BUS314 »

Ya'll got me curious enough to get me up & go look at mine-----brass pulley & shaft rotate in the hook housing---not what I expected, long as it works fine, I'm fine :D
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse