My rifle and I got a doe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Undertaker

My rifle and I got a doe

Post by Undertaker »

My hunting hasn't been great, but I am making due.

Crossbow season, one week, saw me getting busted by the does early in the morning. It is a small property and they know it well. The farm is forty square acres, almost all field, with some woods along one side. Hard to get close to the spots they frequent, without being exposed. Three times I tried, and three times I came home empty handed. The only good thing was the experience of being out there.

This past week was doe season for rifles. I just had to get something for the fridge, so I went last Sunday morning. Five does walked out into the field, and browsed and caroused in the pouring rain. My laser measured them at 375 yards, way too far for my gun, and with the rain, probably too far for yours too. I sat and soaked, and sat and froze.

Went again yesterday. There is a huge Live Oak tree in the field. It's branches reach down to the ground all the way around, and it creates a giant umbrella when seen from underneath. There is a chase lounge chair under the tree, so I picked that spot for the day. Very comfy.

The five does came out and wandered around again. Still to far for a shot. Then....a small doe stepped out of the woods line and into the field. The distance was 135 yards. She could not see me underneath the tree. I even moved around some while she was looking my way, and no response.

My heart tried to jump out of my chest. Buck fever, no way around it. I sat stunned that I could be experiencing this, afterall I have killed close to a hundred deer in my life. Yet there I was shaking and quaking and trying to calm down enough to draw a bead. It took ten minutes or so, and by that time two other does came out.

Finally, I settled down enough to get a good aim and decided to try. I rested the rifle across my knees and held steady on the big doe. Quartering shot, boom.

She landed on her butt, then flopped over and kicked dirt. She managed to get to her feet and wobbled about twenty yards and collapsed. The shot slipped in just under the ribs on her right side and exited out the chest wall on her left side. The lungs were in bits.

My rifle is 33 years old. remington 760 Pump action. It was the first thing of quality I ever owned. Saved for a long time to get it when I was fifteen.

I guess the buck fever came from the fact that it has been twelve years since I shot a deer. Living in Florida is different than Northern Virginia. The deer down here are small and cagey, wirey little devils. Finding a good place to hunt is hard. Everyone else joins clubs that cost big bucks to join, and they tell you when you hunt and where you sit. That stinks, so I have never joined.

My pup sure was curious, even if a bit timid.

Finally- he attacks.

Anyways, I wish there was a way to get closer so that my bow would work. It is hard to enter that small patch of woods and them not know all about it. I realize that joining a club is the only way I will get to use my bow. Maybe next year they will allow does to be taken with the crossbow, and.....

Got alot of butchering to do today, I just quartered it and loaded it into fridge yesterday. i deep fried some medallions last night for dinner. That was nice.

It is amazing that after all these years, one can still feel like it is their first deer ever. It was a thrill to get a shot off, even if it was just a doe. I was pumped the whole ride home. Anyways, thought you might be interested.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't get excited, perhaps you should be doing something else. :lol:
I usually have to calm myself down to take a shot, and wouldn't want it to be any other way!
wabi
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Congratulations on your doe. I still get excited and my heart pounds every time I get a shot opportunity.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Way to go!

You did the right thing.

I can't help but kill a nicely antlered mature buck when I see it, but I'm always intensely aware of the trade-off when butchering and eating.

No comparison.

So ... enough of that "even if it was just a doe" talk! :D :wink:
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on yer slick-head
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lscha

Post by lscha »

Congratulations! I hope I never lose the thrill too!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats on your doe undertaker!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats my fellow Floridian.
I love your rifle.I like the 7400 as well.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
roland

Post by roland »

congrats on the doe undertaker nice gun I a rifle like that on only mine is between 40 to 42 years old. They are a good gun.
Crispy

Post by Crispy »

Congatulations on your doe! If I ever loose the thrill of the hunt I'm gonna hang it up.
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

Congrats!!
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Congrats on the deer. Looks like your dog would like to help you skin it :)

Long
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Thanks...glad i shared.

The dog got the tail, Oh Boy and all that. He also has some leg bones sawed up to fit him, in the freezer. I finsihed the butcher / packaging deal, vacumm packed, and all is assuming the temperature. making a fine roast for tomorrow evening. Tonight is turkey noodle soup and my Fightin' Gators on the big screen.

If I can hunt this farm next year, I will want to get setup for close range action. Really setup. That Vortex is just too cool not to use it. There still is buck only till January, so I might try again. If I do, the rifle stays home, and the bow gets a chance.

The pompano are running large off the beaches down here, and I do so love them devils. Going tomorrow morning to try and score a few. I bought a smoker just so I could learn how to make smoked pompano. Electric, wish I would have gotten propane instead. Apparently, the trick is to not oversmoke the fish or you burp.

I have alot to be thankful for down here, and it is nice to know that you are doing it right.

BTW- knowing what I know now, about accumulating weapons, I am so very glad I went with Excalibur. I may be shooting deer with that thing 33 years from now. The quality will certainly be there, it will just come down to me being able to hold it still.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
huntone

Post by huntone »

Congratulations on the doe, and thanks for the pics. :D

That's a fine rifle, and it may go another 33 years. 8) :)
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
maple

Post by maple »

Congratulations on the success!!!

We should call it doe fever. I get it too whenever I see something at all.
It's all part of the addiction.

Maple