Buck fight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Buck fight

Post by B-Logger »

I just had to post my experience from a couple days ago. I've had good luck hunting this year except that I haven't been able to hunt anywhere near the time I usually spend out there. What I have had is luck, especially seeing bucks. So a few days ago I head out well before daylight. It is a short walk to my wife's old blind and a little over 100 yards further to one of mine.

I decided to sit in her old blind. It was really foggy so I could not see very far. But as the fog lifted just a bit, I saw a doe walk through fairly close to my blind (not the one I was sitting in). Not too much later, I spotted a pair of deer in about the same spot so put the binoculars on them. To my amazement and enjoyment, I sat there and watched a buck fight! I even talked to my wife on the two-way radio describing what I was watching. And yes, they were over by my blind!

As I was watching I noticed that the fight was mostly one sided and each time they came together it was sort of easy and then the shoving and twisting got going really good. I finally was able to make out the antlers and to my surprise it appeared one of the bucks had only one antler but was still putting up a fight.

When they decided to end, they simply broke off and started walking.....towards me. But one broke off and went into the brush instead while the other continued towards me. It was then that I saw that one side of the antler had grown down and then a U shape back up but that was the only point on that side. The other side was not large and only had 3 points. He came right to an apple tree that had 2 scrapes under it.

I did decide to take him simply because of the other buck I already had which was a weird growth on one side (He dropped right there too; no tracking). So now I have two bucks with character for a prize plus lots of meat. Sadly, we didn't even think about taking a picture until it was too late.

Now comes another good part. I walked up to get the atv and we hauled the buck up to the house. We hung it and gutted it but because of the warm weather we decided to skin it right away. I got the back legs started but all the rest of the skinning was done by my wife!!!!!

She had asked about skinning when we did our last buck and I got her started then so this time was a breeze. So now my wife can say she has shot deer and now has also skinned deer. If I could only talk her into the gutting part now.....

We also have some neighbors who are both out of work and beginning to really feel the pinch so we gave a good part of the meat to them. We did split the backstraps; one to the widow lady and one to another neighbor. We kept out enough to make some corned venison and both hind quarters went to the hard up neighbors.

I know what the neighbors are eating for their Thanksgiving dinner today!

All in all, it has been a very good deer season for us.

Happy Thanksgiving to all our American and Canadian friends!

Dennis & Judy.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
gogo

Post by gogo »

Great story congratulations on your deer. Always nice to see kindness in these tough times, bet your neibours are tickled pink. More people with big hearts like yours would really help out a lot of folks. God bless and injoy your thanksgiving.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations on your buck, and a "thank you" for your thoughtfulness in remembering your neighbors in these tough economic times!
wabi
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's on your buck ... " good on you " for sharing the tastey venison treats !

Witnessing the buck fight was bonus on that outing for sure !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
lscha

Post by lscha »

That was interesting! Skinning is hard too. It's nice to share venison with folks who enjoy it. Congratulations!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
longwinters

Post by longwinters »

Thanks for sharing B. It was a fun and interesting read. Have a blessed day.

Long
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

Thanks for the interesting story and the kindness towards your neighbors.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Ah, the gift is in giving, and you are surely blessed. Congrats.!
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

Well done!
Thats what I would call a beauty day all around.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on yer Buck & its great y'all are sharing the meat
Last edited by vixenmaster on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

I have a few pics from last year:

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
prossbow

Post by prossbow »

I laughed, then felt bad for the 2 little spikes above hahah
Husband of one, Father of two, Brother of three, Friend of many.

2017 Micro Suppressor
2009 Vortex
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Congratulations! :D
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Look at the size diff in the 2 spikes, the small is puny compared to the bigger one. Maybe the bigger one is couple yrs old!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bucont

Post by bucont »

lol ... he must of been the runt of the litter.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA