off hand shot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Re: off hand shot

Post by saxman »

flbuckmaster wrote:My 21 year old daughter hunted my food plot this weekend and saw a spike that came in from her "bad side" and she couldnt get off a shot. I cringed upon hearing that as I should have taught her better. How many times have you heard this or had it happen to you? Being a paraplegic and hunting with disabled hunters for the past 20 years, I have heard it too many times. Due to my disability, I cant twist around to take a deer on my off hand side so I taught myself to shoot off handed a long time ago. By not doing this, I would have been limiting myself to only 50% of my visible area in which I could shoot. I would say I have taken as many deer shooting off handed than my regular shooting position. Have others tried this? All you have to do is just try it and get confidence in knowing you can do it. Just last year I took a doe at 205 yards shooting off handed out of my truck(legal on our disabled hunts). If you have never tried it I challenge you to just try. It may mean making an off hand shot at a trophy you would not have taken otherwise.
jay
I agree jay
if you remember when we went to Alabama,I had to shoot my buck right handed.
Had you not taught me that I would have never gotten a shot.
Sound wisdom Jay.
Good luck to her and i hope you feel better soon my friend.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
Phoenix_Tom wrote:I But I have been thinking about the benefits of having a bipod or shooting sticks but I suspect they can be more of a PITA when hunting than of any benefit.
Not really, Tom.

I can't tell you how many deer I've killed "walking in" ... standing up, with my rifle firmly cradled in the V-rest of my shooting stick. I carry the stick fully extended ... it's in my left hand, my rifle is in the other. It's adjusted to optimum height already, and minor adjustments are merely a matter of angle. I can be in battery in seconds.

Same thing goes anywhere I am. The stick, adequately adjusted for the situation at hand, is ready for use immediately. Even in a tree or ladder stand, it's v-rest can serve as an anchor in the platform, simply by turning the stick upside down.

Bipod or tripod sticks can serve as a single-stick in quick shooting situations, and be deployed fully when there is time.

I find shooting sticks to be indispensable to precise shooting, especially at long distance. They are in no way a bother to me, but a great aid. :D
You should be in sales Grizz! You just sold me on a stick! Maybe that'll be the one and only thing I buy for next season. Yeah right!

Thanks for the insight.

Tom
2008 Phoenix w/ Varizone Scope
FFF String (Boo string wannabee)
Groundpounder Mount
Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout RF
NAP 125g Spitfires
Firebolts and 2216s
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Im embarassed to admit that I just recently started to experiment different shooting styles after 4 years of hunting with my excalibur. The first couple of times it take a bit of concentration not to get flustered, but eventually becomes 2nd nature. Ive yet to take anything that way though.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yes i practice off-hand from either shoulder. I have had way too many shots come in from my weak side, so now i don't hesitate just switch & shoot!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
bkisel wrote:I'm confused about what has been posted so far.
You must not have noticed, but I made the distinction in my post.

As commonly understood, "offhand" means "without a rest".
:oops: Yep, sorry missed it. :oops:
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

And then some of us are forced to shoot either left of right handed. I am left-handed at most things but shoot right handed. That is because my left eye is no good so I am forced to use the right eye...and shoot right handed. I have no problem with it.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

B-Logger wrote:And then some of us are forced to shoot either left of right handed. I am left-handed at most things but shoot right handed. That is because my left eye is no good so I am forced to use the right eye...and shoot right handed. I have no problem with it.
You may think your forced to but it could cost you a trophy by not practicing the weak side shot...thats the only reason I started this thread was to let people know it can be done and done accurately.
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I'm amphibious,I go either way :shock: :shock:

You mean ambidextrious?
NO!!!!!!!!
I can't breath under water
DUHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry
Morning meds are kickin in :D :D
better life through science :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1