ot-lessons paid off.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

ot-lessons paid off.

Post by Shotnbeer »

On the second day of PA gun season (yesterday) my nephew and I were walking back to he house when he stopped on the trail ahead of me. "Deer standing in right there", he said. "Buck or doe?", I asked. "Wall hanger"' was the response. I ask if he had a shot. "Can't shoot", he said,"There are houses up behind him". I told hime to walk alittle further up the trail to get a better angle but the buck spooked and was gone.
Heres a 17 year old who passed a shot on a great buck at 40 yards (it was at least a 10 pt) because he thought about safety first rather than taking a shot. I know everyone here has probably seen the look on someones face after they missed an opportunity. He had that look the rest of the day.
This was graduation day for me. I have been taking him hunting with me since he was 10, preaching safety everytime and asking questions like "What would you do". He made the decision and I know he would have made the same call whether I was there or not. This is the kind of guy I like to hunt with. :)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, good. :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good to hear about your success!

The back of my little 20 acres is up against the Jack Matthews Park in Grayson County VA. On Friday morning after Thanksgiving, I set up on the highest part of the ridge at the property line. I was facing my property and had set up in a way to make sure all my possible shots were safe ones.

Around ten a.m. I hear a noise behind me. Two mountain bikes come racing down the fence line along the ridge. The Matthews property is a multi-use facility . . .I just couldn't believe there were two guys riding bikes along the property line during rifle season. One bike was black with white trim . . .smart, eh?

Probably a couple of antis. I was proud of myself for not taking the shot. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Re: ot-lessons paid off.

Post by saxman »

Shotnbeer wrote:On the second day of PA gun season (yesterday) my nephew and I were walking back to he house when he stopped on the trail ahead of me. "Deer standing in right there", he said. "Buck or doe?", I asked. "Wall hanger"' was the response. I ask if he had a shot. "Can't shoot", he said,"There are houses up behind him". I told hime to walk alittle further up the trail to get a better angle but the buck spooked and was gone.
Heres a 17 year old who passed a shot on a great buck at 40 yards (it was at least a 10 pt) because he thought about safety first rather than taking a shot. I know everyone here has probably seen the look on someones face after they missed an opportunity. He had that look the rest of the day.
This was graduation day for me. I have been taking him hunting with me since he was 10, preaching safety everytime and asking questions like "What would you do". He made the decision and I know he would have made the same call whether I was there or not. This is the kind of guy I like to hunt with. :)
he took the high ground.Excellent. :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
dumbdawg

Post by dumbdawg »

i like his style of hunting
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hopefully he'll get another opportunity at that one, or even a better buck.
He made a wise decision to pass a shot when there was any doubt in his mind. Congratulations to him!
wabi
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

lol he got him tonight. :D when i get the pic i'll post them .... sweet
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

If he's willing to pass on shots like that, he can hunt with me anytime. A hunter who ranks safety above harvesting his quarry is the type of hunter we need more of.
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I was out yesterday moving my stand when the landowners granddaughter was walking and we started to talk. she asked me if i shot gun hunted (in nj we cant use a rifle) and i said no and she went on to say a man was hunting and misssed the deer and hit a house that im close by.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

Well he passed up a shot on Tuesday because the deer was to close to houses. Changed his stratagy and it paid off.
Attachments
buck 1.jpg
buck 1.jpg (40.05 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
hiking

Post by hiking »

good going youn hunter, You had a great teacher(good student) and your a real credit to the sport of hunting.
best of luck and many more great hunts.
exocet 200
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Congrats!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thats a buck to be proud of. Congrats! :D
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Very good!

That's a very nice buck. CONGRATS!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Glad to see that good sportsmanship has it's just rewards. Congrats on the nice buck. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.