PRICE OF CORN!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flbuckmaster

PRICE OF CORN!

Post by flbuckmaster »

I picked up 4 bags of corn today to last me until Christmas. WOW! My bill was $36.60 for 4-50lb bags! What is everyone else paying for corn now? This is getting ridiculas! and expensive...
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
saxman

Re: PRICE OF CORN!

Post by saxman »

My local Food Lion has it for $6 and thats still high.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Deer corn is free for the scooping, to me.

It's all in who you know! :D :wink:

I don't use it, though. I don't bait. It's legal here, but ineffective.

Besides, baiting ruins areas for bear hunting, 'cause it's not legal to bait them.
Grizz
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

$5.50 per 50 lb bag here
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

price of 50lbs bag cracked corn is 12.oo to 14.00 abag .
bbbwb

Post by bbbwb »

I bought corn(whole) today for $9.95/ 50 lb bag.

bbbwb
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Deer corn is free for the scooping, to me.

It's all in who you know! :D :wink:

I don't use it, though. I don't bait. It's legal here, but ineffective.

Besides, baiting ruins areas for bear hunting, 'cause it's not legal to bait them.
Dosen't sound right to me..legal to bait deer but not bear. Why is that?
jay
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I picked up one 40kg bag of whole corn and one 40kg bag of dairy ration and it came to $27 and change :shock: prices seem about $2 per bag higher than last year. Not sure how much each bag was as I cannot find my receipt, must have handed both copies to the guy out back that wheels it out to your vehicle for you :oops:
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

flbuckmaster wrote: Dosen't sound right to me..legal to bait deer but not bear. Why is that?
jay
Oh, man ... you don't know how I wish we could bait bear. I, along with lots of other landowners, would have a sure-fire guiding business. What a shame we can't.

We can't because of the NCBHA (North Carolina Bear Hunter's Association), the hound-hunting lobby in our state ... a vocal and politically influential group who have constantly skewed the laws in NC in favor of hound hunters.

For instance, it's illegal for us to bait bear with anything in order to stand-hunt them (as folks do up north) ... but it's legal for hound hunters to release their dogs on a bait so long as it's natural (like grain, fruit, etc.) ... and if you know anything about hunting with hounds, releasing dogs on a hot track from a freshly hit bait is as nearly a sure thing as you can get in bear hunting.

Baiting would be such an advantage to the rest of us, because our terrain is so impenetrable and hostile ... but no ... we're put at a disadvantage because the dog-hunters have such a powerful lobby. :? :evil:

It's just plain wrong, Jay ... that's what it is ... but that's the way it is. :? :o
Grizz
phil

Post by phil »

...im paying 4.50 for a 40 lb bag right from the farm!...its 6 or 7 bucks at the local walmart or agway store. if you really want to treat em good...try dumping some molasses on it!....itll bring them in from a distance! :D
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

It's illegal to use it here but they'd just eat it in the middle of the night with my luck. :roll: Gary
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

My neighbor works for a farmer that usually has several hundred acres in corn each year. I asked him about getting me some. He said that it was $5 for a grass seed sack full, which was about 50 lbs. I asked him to bring me in about 300 lbs (6 bags). He did and unloaded the stuff under the roof on his back porch. When I pulled my truck back there to load it up, those freaking grass seed sacks he had them in were at least 100 lbs each if they were 5! :shock: I've got a GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD and my poor truck was squatting by the time I got them all in there. :lol:

That was back around mid October. I used the last bag a week or so ago, so he's getting some more for me.

Up to then, I had been having to get 50 lb bags at Tractor Supply for around $8/bag. :x
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I'll avoid naming alternative products here for the sake of not making a 'pitch' on a hunting site, but I did copy this information from a site that offers deer feed properly balanced for a deer's digestive system:

Rumenitis
Inflamation of the rumen often caused by Carbohydrate engorgment.

DO NOT FEED STRAIGHT CORN.

Feed facts!

•Corn in the field contains up to 50% moisture while corn from the mill ONLY has 14%. Its harder for your deer to digest corn that you put out for them during the winter months without having adequate moisture.
•If adequate moisture is not in the feed that you are giving your local herd then Rumenitis may occur. Feed may ferment in the Rumen before being fully digested, often putting deer into a coma and killing the deer your feeding. Feeding your local deer herd straight corn or hay will do more harm then good.
•During the Canadian winter months Whitetail Deers water consumption drops dramatically once Lakes, Rivers and Creeks freeze up. Typically in January through March. If you're feeding you local herd straight corn with a lower moisture content, your deers Rumen is having to work harder to digest that feed. This will do numerous chain reactions in the body of the whitetail deer.
•First - the deer will go and bed with a full stomach. Being a Rumenant animal (4 stomach of digestion) they regurgitate thier food numberous times to break it down and to get out all the needed energy, carbohydrates, fat, protein as well as fibre out of the food. With food digested on a daily basis the deers stomach create heat. (keeping them warm)
•Second - While the deer is regurgitating that food it is thinking that everything is fine and that it trying to burn out the normal winter months and waiting until spring but in fact, the moisture level is not in the feed to digest the corn that it had ingested hours before and now is robbing the body of much needed moisture in order to digest it.
•Third - Now the corn is past the digest period, the deer still knows that it has feed in its stomach and is probably starting to feel some pain. Fermentation starts to happen in the Rumen. This is called "Rumenitis".
•Fourth - Bad toxins are sent through the body of the deer. The deers body reacts and could cause coma and even death. It often takes 12-18 hours for this to happen so you won't know whats going on.

Feeding your deer hay/clover/alfalfa mixtures during the winter could be harmful too.
•Whitetail deer need certain micro-organisms to break down the clovers and alfalfas. Because Whitetail deer feeding habits change daily their body adjusts to what it is eaten. If January comes, it has been a bad winter and you think well they where in the alfalfa field why don't I through out a bale to help out, don't. During that time of year moisture content is up and the deer are used to eating fresh greens and their body can slowly adapt to what they are eating but it has been found in the past that deer (especially yearling deer) don't have this organism during the winter months to break down the feed you have given them. The deer have a full stomach of feed and don't feel that they need to eat. Their stomach stays full because their body does not digest it, resulting in starvation. Do you want to help out naturally? Cut some fire wood for yourself and drag the limbs to a feeding area. Deer are also attracted to an area where a chainsaw has been. They know what is going on.
There are feeds on the market that are sold at co-ops and local feed mills. They call them rations, and are often that. Sweepings from the floors, often the mix changes on a weekly basis and is inconsistant. you can't control anything that you are feeding your deer. I have even seen flipped beef tags that are fermented with "deer" on the back side written in pen. I can understand the co-op trying to make their money back but it isn't fair to the deer.

QDMA also does not recommend feeding deer straight corn from the mill. Be aware of what you're giving them before you give it to them guys. I use a specific feed for this reason. It's more expensive, but, I have seen great results where I have been doing supplemental Winter feeding the past few years.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

DirtyGun wrote:I'll avoid naming alternative products here for the sake of not making a 'pitch' on a hunting site, but I did copy this information from a site that offers deer feed properly balanced for a deer's digestive system:

Rumenitis
Inflamation of the rumen often caused by Carbohydrate engorgment.

DO NOT FEED STRAIGHT CORN.

Feed facts!

•Corn in the field contains up to 50% moisture while corn from the mill ONLY has 14%. Its harder for your deer to digest corn that you put out for them during the winter months without having adequate moisture.
•If adequate moisture is not in the feed that you are giving your local herd then Rumenitis may occur. Feed may ferment in the Rumen before being fully digested, often putting deer into a coma and killing the deer your feeding. Feeding your local deer herd straight corn or hay will do more harm then good.
•During the Canadian winter months Whitetail Deers water consumption drops dramatically once Lakes, Rivers and Creeks freeze up. Typically in January through March. If you're feeding you local herd straight corn with a lower moisture content, your deers Rumen is having to work harder to digest that feed. This will do numerous chain reactions in the body of the whitetail deer.
•First - the deer will go and bed with a full stomach. Being a Rumenant animal (4 stomach of digestion) they regurgitate thier food numberous times to break it down and to get out all the needed energy, carbohydrates, fat, protein as well as fibre out of the food. With food digested on a daily basis the deers stomach create heat. (keeping them warm)
•Second - While the deer is regurgitating that food it is thinking that everything is fine and that it trying to burn out the normal winter months and waiting until spring but in fact, the moisture level is not in the feed to digest the corn that it had ingested hours before and now is robbing the body of much needed moisture in order to digest it.
•Third - Now the corn is past the digest period, the deer still knows that it has feed in its stomach and is probably starting to feel some pain. Fermentation starts to happen in the Rumen. This is called "Rumenitis".
•Fourth - Bad toxins are sent through the body of the deer. The deers body reacts and could cause coma and even death. It often takes 12-18 hours for this to happen so you won't know whats going on.

Feeding your deer hay/clover/alfalfa mixtures during the winter could be harmful too.
•Whitetail deer need certain micro-organisms to break down the clovers and alfalfas. Because Whitetail deer feeding habits change daily their body adjusts to what it is eaten. If January comes, it has been a bad winter and you think well they where in the alfalfa field why don't I through out a bale to help out, don't. During that time of year moisture content is up and the deer are used to eating fresh greens and their body can slowly adapt to what they are eating but it has been found in the past that deer (especially yearling deer) don't have this organism during the winter months to break down the feed you have given them. The deer have a full stomach of feed and don't feel that they need to eat. Their stomach stays full because their body does not digest it, resulting in starvation. Do you want to help out naturally? Cut some fire wood for yourself and drag the limbs to a feeding area. Deer are also attracted to an area where a chainsaw has been. They know what is going on.
There are feeds on the market that are sold at co-ops and local feed mills. They call them rations, and are often that. Sweepings from the floors, often the mix changes on a weekly basis and is inconsistant. you can't control anything that you are feeding your deer. I have even seen flipped beef tags that are fermented with "deer" on the back side written in pen. I can understand the co-op trying to make their money back but it isn't fair to the deer.

QDMA also does not recommend feeding deer straight corn from the mill. Be aware of what you're giving them before you give it to them guys. I use a specific feed for this reason. It's more expensive, but, I have seen great results where I have been doing supplemental Winter feeding the past few years.
I was made aware of this many years ago by a biologist I met while hunting the first week of November gun season. Ever since I have been mixing aprox. 30% whole corn to 70% grain protein mixture with small amounts of molasses, this is what he recommended. I also top with C'mere Deer, Rack Stacker, and apples for dessert.
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

6.50 for 50 lbs. Coons eat 30 deer get 20.