coons

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flbuckmaster

coons

Post by flbuckmaster »

I have a nurse that comes to my house 3 times a week. She saw a game cam pic I was looking at that had a couple deer and 4 raccons in it. She freaked out and asked me to "get her some coons for Christmas". So I have been trapping them and draging the trap back to the house when I know she is coming. I have to dispatch them with a 22 when she is ready to leave. I put them in a garbage bag and set them in her trunk. So far she has taken 4 corn stealing varmits this past 2 weeks. I caught a possum yesterday and she got mad when I told her I let it go. Seems she wants them too. How many of you guys eat these critters, and how do you cook them? Are they good to eat, you know times are bad around here and some extra meat would be great as long as its fit to eat.
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
groundpounder

Re: coons

Post by groundpounder »

Trap them? :? I just get them with a shovel! :P
As far as eating them, to each their own I guess but not for me.
Why ride when you can walk!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I used to make a little money selling coons and rabbits but I have never eaten one :shock: :?
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Rich

Post by Rich »

When I was a kid, my dad used to use coon in spaghetti sauce. Can't say I remember what it tasted like, but I always ate it.

Rich
Dave1

Post by Dave1 »

Coons are very destructive little critters. They eat and destroy many turkey and other game bird nests, kill and eat the baby birds if found, as well as homestead many of the preferred food sources and game feeders. They do get very protective and aggressive at prime food source sites and can/will run the deer off.

If managing your property for turkey and other game and bird species, remove as many coons and possums as is possible.

Not sure of the edibility or meat quality of a coon, but many were sold in the black community over the years. I could sell all I could get, but had to leave one foot on it.

Dave
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

The Grizz eats the occasional coon. 'Coon is very good indeed, and there are no secrets. All rules of cooking meat apply, as with any critter. The age of the animal matters, as always. I like 'em braised and then slow roasted with 'taters, carrots and onion, in a rich brown gravy.

Mom never would cook a 'possum, so we didn't eat them.

I do like groundhog, beaver, muskrat and snapping turtle, as well as all common "game" animals.

In reality, our prejudices against one meat or the other are more social than sensible.

The wild is teeming with edible critters, especially in the American South.
Grizz
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

cook the coon in a pressure cooker or crock pot until the meat falls off the bone. then hash it up and brown it just a little in a cast iron skillet with a little sage ect. ( or however you would do your venison hash). That is how my grandmother used to do it and it was good and tender too!

PS she would fry a strip of bacon in the skillet before putting the coon in to brown it and stir it up...
thanks philip
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My grandma used to bbq coons when I was a kid :? They say that she put some on my plate without telling me what it was and when I found out I freaked out and got sick. As long as Tyler keeps working on these does around here I won't even consider eating a coon. Now if it were a matter of survival, there's no telling what a person would do to survive but I'm not quite there yet :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

As our 2 friends ahead of this post have said coons be good eating, possums i ain't never got hungry enuff to try! Coons can be cooked most anyway you want. I like to crock pot them & pull meat apart throw bones & gristle away. Put back in crockpot & my favorite BBQ sauce added fer a lip smacking finger licking great eating session!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
the elf

Post by the elf »

Cooked on a rotisserie--slowly on a bbq at low heat--so all the grease drips off.
It also helps if is a younger coon.-----------mmmmmmmmmmmm-mmmmmm good.
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

A person would be surprized at all the coon recipes on the net. Someone must be eating the heck out of them. :D :shock: http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zracoon.html
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Im gonna wuss out on eating raccoon. I dont think I could do it. I would have to be tricked into eating it!!! I probably would like it though.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-