My Sunday Survival School

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

Re: My Sunday Survival School

Post by Rich »

Very unfortunate incident, just glad the way things turned out.

Rich
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I tried this once in the winter duck hunting. Turned over above a log jam. My buddy got washed through I came up under. We're both still here. I'm a good swimmer but in lower temps you're asking for trouble.
I never, never get in a boat unless I have PFD on or tied to my belt.
I'm glad (very happy) you came out of the situation as I did.

I say we can never learn everything from experience so we better listen to others.
Last edited by Shotnbeer on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maple

Post by maple »

Makes you think doesn't it John.

Most of us who have spent time around, in, or on cold water have tales of terror to tell.

Glad you got yourself home and warmed up. Be carefull out there.

Maple
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Good to hear you are ok John. That is scary!!!

I'm sure you don't need me telling you, but I will anyway :P (only cause it's nice to have you around). I've only gone duck hunting in cold water a couple of times, with Ecoaster. When we were in the canoe I wore my bright yellow life jacket. While retrieving decoys or ducks. In cold water even a good swimmer doesn't have long.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Dam John that sounds a bit rough on the boys. I bet they didnt come back out for days..lol..No serious now Im glad you had your wits about you and you didnt panic. I say nice job getting out and surviving that. Duck hunting is not for pu--ys it can get you in trouble fast and if your not capable you can die fast.

Maple is so right here is one---------

I have taught my lab to retrieve my decoys when im done hunting. Some of the places I go are to deep to get out to them and the water moves to much in the river. I thought I had the danger of being in cold water handled with her retrieving my decoys, however once in January in a pond that the geese had kept open for us all night we threw out the decoys. We broke Ice by shore and cleared it for tha dog. we hunted had a great hunt now time to go--- she was bringing in a decoy and the wieght got hung up in the grass bad and stopped her. She could not make it in she could not break it loose. My lab was about 25ft from shore in deep cold ass water. Nothing I did would make her let go of that dam decoy. I tried everything I knew she was bound and determine to bring it in it was her job and she knew it. She is a high strung bitch and stop is not in her. I figured when she got tired she would let go but I was wrong. It didnt take long and I could tell that the cold and fatige of fighting that stuck decoy was getting to her. She was starting to slow down, loosing cordination and sinking, and whinning. NO way I was letting my baby go down I told the guys to start the truck Im going to need that heater. I stripped down my waders and got rid of everything but my boxers. I look up and I really didnt even have time to think If I wanted to do this or not she was in trouble. I ran bare footed thru the snow and ice and dove in commited to saving my Lab. I was there fast and it was cold but I was so scared for her Ill tell you now I really didnt have a problem. I grabed her by the vest and turned and swam for shore thru the broken Ice. I had to yank a few times to free the decoy she would not let got of it. I got to shore and DAM its cold it hit me. I never felt more less of a man than then. It was gone like a scared turtle back into its shell. I made my way to the truck and we both got in..The guys loaded the rest of th egear and I wrapped up in a blanket. Man what a hunt. I now tie a rope on to her when she retrieves the decoys. If she gets hung up all I have to do is pull and no problem...Thats duck hunting....FYI the worst place a guy can duck hunt for danger is the river. when everything else is frozen the river is where the ducks are but you can get into trouble fast there..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

John you are very lucky someone was watching over you and you made the right decisions for your survival!! glad to hear you are ok a lesson learned for all of us on or near the water this time of year!!
The best things in life are not things!!
mikej

Post by mikej »

glad you made it out ok john you were very lucky
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
saxman

Post by saxman »

WOW!!!
I don't know how I missed this post John
I am so glad you are OK!!!
That is a scary situation for sure.
I worry about stuff like that as I hunt alone most of the time.
Tell her you need new waders and a more stable boat.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bucont

Post by bucont »

Close call for sure John.

I always wore a floater coat over top of my waders in duck season just for this reason. Give it try it may save your life. I have seen someone go in 10 feet of water like this and come out dry.

Play it safe and good luck.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
ghglenn

Post by ghglenn »

Thanks for posting this John. Sometimes we all need a reminder of how quickly things can go wrong. Glad you are safe and sound. :)