Smoked Turkey Breasts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Smoked Turkey Breasts

Post by awshucks »

Caught a deal on them and couldn't resist. Here's 12 halves. Mesquite is my favorite, but am trying cherry next time around, have a whole tree I cut up when helping w/ tornado clean up last spring.
"Eze 18:21"
raydaughety

Re: Smoked Turkey Breasts

Post by raydaughety »

Yuck!!!!!!! That looks NASTY. Send on over to my place and I'll see that it get's disposed of properly :mrgreen: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Oh Man, I gained 10 pounds over the holidays and that pic is surely NOT HELPING! Yum Yum. As soon as you dispose of the garage by Ray, I'm goin over. : :shock: :)
Bucko

Post by Bucko »

I've done some smoking of the poultry and meats before and I'll tell ya that pic of turkey breast sure looks like a pro did it.Fine job for sure.
Give it a try,What the heck!
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Those sure do look tasty. :D :D Let us know how the cherry turns out next time. Lot of cherry in this part of the country but no mosquite. lol. What type of smoker are you using?
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

EQUINOXHNTERVA wrote:Those sure do look tasty. :D :D Let us know how the cherry turns out next time. Lot of cherry in this part of the country but no mosquite. lol. What type of smoker are you using?

Brinkmann charcoal water cheater. I go through one every 2-3 years, the pans burn/rust out. I once paid Brinkmann $35 for a new pan for a $49 smoker, lol.

I read a thingy on them somewhere about drilling the charcoal pan and adding 4 bolts to hold a screen up off the bottom and am using that now. Can't get it right yet, takes less coals and more often or too much heat results. All my favorites are kinda timed w/ original set up. I had extra racks left from previous units and added a third so I can do 15 lbs of meat at a whack.

I have salmon and chicken breasts down to an art form, or should say used to. The chicken is easiest, 3 hrs total and index the middle and bottom racks racks half way through. Leave top one in same place through out. Moist and melt in your mouth type.Ooops, should read leave middle alone and index top and bottom, sorry

The salmon I cut 4 lbers in thirds, brine for 24 hrs in a 48 qt ice chest 3/4 full of water w/ one 4 lb box of pickling salt. Put tails on top rack and index the other two racks at about 2-3 hrs.

Add coals and more wood chips one time and then let it go til coals are dead. Ribs are my nemisis. Either well done as in cooked or half raw, but I'm working on them. Main problem is inconsistency of sliced ribs.

Brisket, I marinate in some form of alcohol based slop, middle rack 5 hrs, add chips and charcoal once. The inner slices are real rare, but are perfect for saving for later in alum pie tins w/ bbq sauce added before freezing, then heated in oven to still medium rare.

Hell, I just talked myself into a new unit rather than screw up 15 lbs of something trying to save a buck, lol.
Last edited by awshucks on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
maple

Post by maple »

Awshucks, what do you sell that stuff for??

Just askin, yum yum.

Maple
wabi

Post by wabi »

You're going to have me digging my smoker out of the shed. :roll:
My wife didn't even know I had one, so I guess it's been at least 10 years since I used it. :shock:

I especially like smoked fish fillets, never tried turkey but it looks so good I may try it.
wabi
EQUINOXHNTERVA

Post by EQUINOXHNTERVA »

Awshucks there certainly is an art to smoking, sounds like to me you have it down. I've been wanting a smoker, we do lots of trout fishing here and I've always wanted to do my own smoked trout. :D
2009 Equinox, Easton Powerbolts, S5 system, 100 gr. spitfires. Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

wabi wrote:You're going to have me digging my smoker out of the shed. :roll:
My wife didn't even know I had one, so I guess it's been at least 10 years since I used it. :shock:

I especially like smoked fish fillets, never tried turkey but it looks so good I may try it.
I've a tad experience w/ fillets, Wabi. I found they don't need near as long in the brine, and are easy to actually cook vs smoke. I used foil on grill w/ holes poked liberally and some 'Pam'

I gave up on trying to keep the big chunks of salmon from sticking to the grills, impossible, lol. You can use a steel spatula to free them up and just write off the small amount stuck to the grills. By all means, try the mesquite w/ salmon.

Somewhere along the line I picked up a factoid that 'brine' should be salty enough to float a raw egg. I've found that to be 3/4 water in 48 qt ice chest and whole box [4 lb]of pickling salt, but no idea on smaller batches.

For smoked fish, a mixture of Mayo and dill weed til it's near the same color as guacamole, a hunk of fish topped by this on a saltine is the bomb, imho.
Old Exocet

Post by Old Exocet »

Just a suggestion re. pan rust out. I picked up a small cast iron tray that fit smoker, has served me well for yrs. Breasts look yummy! But then again most usually do to me.;)
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

those look great!
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!