Crossbow questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

petev

Crossbow questions

Post by petev »

I am new to crossbows, but have hunted archery for years. After looking at several manufacturers I have selected Excalibur to be my choice for a new crossbow. I like simplicity. I do have a couple questions. Will the hunting line change at all in 2010...should I buy now or wait for something new? Which of the crossbows do you recommend? I am 6' 2", and was looking at the Equinox and Vortex, but am open to suggestions/comments. Does the width of the Excalibur impact you as a treestand hunter....I have to assume it does not since it is such a popular bow. Would you recommend but from a local dealer or thru the mail. I have always bought from a local dealer since I have someone to talk to and possibly service the bow as needed. Any suggestions to someone new to the world of crossbows? Thanks in advance.
Exocet 200
Hoyt Alpha Max 35
crazyfarmer

Re: Crossbow questions

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you have a local dealer you may pay more but as you said if they have good service it could be worth it. No matter who you get an excal from, you can contact them for warranty work and you will then send the bow to a local rep. Turn around time is usually 3-5 days which is EXTREMELY fast!

Im your same height and ive used both styles you mentioned. I went with the equinox now because I use a slightly heavier arrow so I wanted to get back the speed I had lost. They are rated for 350fps but thats with a light 350grain arrow. Expect real world speeds with a hunting weight arrow and string to be in the 325-340range. Thats penty of speed to get the job done;)

either will work fine for you. The vortex would be more fun to shoot day by day and it easier on string life as well as your back. Which ever you go with, get a rope cocking aid to help with drawing back day after day:)

also, try looking on ebay for some. I saved 200 dollars on mine from a good dealer there. Got the bow in 3 days also
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Try all 4 of the bigger models see which you like. Equinox & Vortex are Thumbhole & Exomax & Exocet 200 are regular stocked. The 225 lb. models will abuse the center serving quickly. Either learn to reserve or have a friend that can real close. String run $14 a pop from Dan Miller, he is also the USA warranty shop. Welcome to the Forum
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
shuey270

Post by shuey270 »

Like my Equinox but it is hard on the serving!But don't have a lighter bow to compare to.
equinox varazone gt laser 2's 125 thunderhead
Boo

Post by Boo »

Speak to Danny Miller. He'll either match or come real close to just about anyone's price when apples to apples are concerned. If you want your bow assembled sighted in etc the price is a bit more. You will not regret dealing with Danny. Of course this is assuming you are in the US.
Horizontal Archery 37432 Fifth Avenue Sardis, Ohio, 740-483-2312 (no website but he's the best in the business)
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The guys above nailed your questions, but I'd add you can put the bow together yourself in 10 minutes. There's a DVD that shows how step by step, simple process, they even include the allen wrenches you need!

My 1st Excal was an Emax and I really liked the bow a lot. Once I shot an Ecet, however, I no longer saw a need for the brute and sold it to a forum member here.

That's the beauty of Excals, really, they have something for everyone. They never need a shop for maintenance either.
"Eze 18:21"
roly

Post by roly »

Welcome to the forum Petev

I would listen to those four guys if I was you :D :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

roly wrote:Welcome to the forum Petev

I would listen to those four guys if I was you :D :D
Rick, can you speak to my wife! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
petev

Post by petev »

Thank you for all the great replies. I think I will go out a shoot a couple of these and make my decision. Always fun buying a new hunting item.
Exocet 200
Hoyt Alpha Max 35
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Welcome aboard!

I swear that the Exocet 200 model comes with a built in deer magnet. :) Seriously though 200 lb draw is plenty for hunting and if you prefer the Exocet has the pistol grip as opposed to the thumb hole stock.

Take care...
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Equinox is hard on servings but thats why i learned to reserve myself and wouldn't go back. great bow
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I will say that for target shooting alot the 150-200lb models shoot better. The 225lb one is a beast

its just a matter of what you like still:)

do you want the badest bow out?
Get the Equinox

Do you want a great shooting bow?
check out the vortex
slider

Post by slider »

Do not forget about the Phoenix....175 lb draw...plenty for deer and easier on you and your string if you want to shoot it often. I was in your position last year when I started to bowhunt and purchased my bow very late in the season. I have taken 7 deer with the Phoenix since then and have no regrets!

Slider

PS....The Ibex is the thumbhole version....I did not like the access to the safety with this version...just my opinion.
2008 Phoenix
Illuminated FireBolts
100 g spitfires
Varizone
Flemish String

Always try your best!
petev

Post by petev »

Once again I would like to thank all those who have posted. Great advice from all. I did talk to Danny as suggested....great source of information. I will definately be ordering from him. I am down to the Exocet and the Phoenix, as my hunting is pretty much focused on Whitetails.
Exocet 200
Hoyt Alpha Max 35
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

clearence in the stand is and issue that needs to be addressed. you are going to have to be aware of the clearence side to side with a crossbow. verticals no worrys but with the width the of the limbs you have to be thinking when it comes to xbows. think of the uncocked width thats the clearence you need..........................
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!