Carbon
66%
Aluminum
34%

Total votes: 85

Pydpiper

Re: Curious who uses aluminum versus carbon shafts

Post by Pydpiper »

When I make an arrow I count on it only being used once, I hope for more but I don't count on it.
My last carbon arrow fragmented in the deer, I could live with bent or broken, but pulling little chunks of carbon out of meat got me to thinking that there has to be another option. I have had them break before, it is usually a clean break, this time was different, besides these large chunks there were several more smaller ones that were pitched out during the processing.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

I've shot and continue to use both due to my recent inventory .... but I prefer aluminum ... personally I feel they are more durable .
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) I shoot aluminum because of their tighter tolerance for straightness .
XX78 shaft TIR +or - .001
Fatboy shaft TIR +or- .003 :shock:
As it has been stated before I only count on that arrow for one kill anything after that is a bonus . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I did not vote as I use both carbon and aluminum . for Aluminum it is 2117 and 2216's for carbon shaft it is the Beman ThunderBolt . Aluminum crossbow bolts are fairly inexpensive and are easy to change out inserts . carbon is very durable but inserts are near impossible to change .
Wide8pt

Post by Wide8pt »

Carbon for me as well. Good all around speed and kinetic energy. If I were to go hunting for moose or something, I may switch to a slightly heaveier aluminun, just to get the ft/lbs up.
Exocet 200
Boo String
Rage 3 Blade
GT Laser II's
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Went from cabon to aluminum.
I like 2219, tried 2216 this year and like then just as well.
Once it goes through a deer I will use it for target only.
When I make up a dozen and have nothing else I will keep four that get shoot once before hunting season just to make sure of no faults. Keep the rest for
3-D. Which don't bend easy if you pull them out correctly.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Farmer wrote:I did not vote as I use both carbon and aluminum . for Aluminum it is 2117 and 2216's for carbon shaft it is the Beman ThunderBolt . Aluminum crossbow bolts are fairly inexpensive and are easy to change out inserts . carbon is very durable but inserts are near impossible to change .
What Farmer said.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Pydpiper wrote:When I make an arrow I count on it only being used once, I hope for more but I don't count on it.
My last carbon arrow fragmented in the deer, I could live with bent or broken, but pulling little chunks of carbon out of meat got me to thinking that there has to be another option. I have had them break before, it is usually a clean break, this time was different, besides these large chunks there were several more smaller ones that were pitched out during the processing.

David . . .did you hit bone? Or do you believe the arrow was stressed before the shot?

I use carbon mainly because I started with carbon and I just didn't see a need to switch. I have a tub of old arrows I use for target practice and a small supply of new arrows for hunting. I have never had one explode like that while hunting.

I used alm. arrows in my compound days. The only draw back I had with them is bending. You can accidently sit on your quiver and bend them all(can you believe that?). Very stressful in the field with that happens.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

Kelley wrote:
Farmer wrote:I did not vote as I use both carbon and aluminum . for Aluminum it is 2117 and 2216's for carbon shaft it is the Beman ThunderBolt . Aluminum crossbow bolts are fairly inexpensive and are easy to change out inserts . carbon is very durable but inserts are near impossible to change .
What Farmer said.
Kelley
Kelly, those Thunderbolts are very tough especially compared to Gold Tips! They were made from C2 material. I have some Victory shafts on order as well as some Carbon Express Aramid KVs on order. I also have been shooting the Maxima Hunters. Too bad I couldn't test them on a deer last season :cry:
I'll let you know what I think. I'll be torture testing them all.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I have not yet shot a carbon arrow. I have no problems with the aluminum and can shoot various sized arrows.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

sumner4991 wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:When I make an arrow I count on it only being used once, I hope for more but I don't count on it.

David . . .did you hit bone? Or do you believe the arrow was stressed before the shot?

I use carbon mainly because I started with carbon and I just didn't see a need to switch. I have a tub of old arrows I use for target practice and a small supply of new arrows for hunting. I have never had one explode like that while hunting.

I used alm. arrows in my compound days. The only draw back I had with them is bending. You can accidently sit on your quiver and bend them all(can you believe that?). Very stressful in the field with that happens.
A combination of a few things happened to that arrow Scott, nothing out of the ordinary though, just hunting stuff. I don't want to think I have to handle my arrows like they are glass, but that seems to be how they responded.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
gruntahunta

Post by gruntahunta »

I use aluminum, allways have, 2219, my hunting buddy uses carbon and has a few problems from time to time that I dont have! I just spin test when i am gearing up for a hunt, I used to use 2117 but tried the 2219 and found them a little more acurate at 30 + meters probably due to there more weight.
responsible hunters are true conservationists and game managers.
VA Bigbore

Post by VA Bigbore »

Although my Excalibur came with carbon arrows I quickly converted back to aluminum. I have used aluminum arrows since my regular bow days. I make my own arrows from raw shafts and I feel aluminum is easier to work with. To me I would prefer to be able to see any defects in an arrow. If it is bent it is bad. Cracks may or may not be able to be seen in carbon shafts. During a hunting situation I consider a released bolt lost anyway, so what is the difference if it is bent? Broadheads are the same too. That is why I continue to use the Wasp broadheads that came with my xbow. I get 6 broadheads to the competition's 3 for the same price.

The last reason I stick with aluminum is because I hunt a lot of field edges. I have recovered several released bolts under the field grass by the use of a metal detector. Try that with carbon! I have. Doesn't work nearly as well if at all! I get consistant and tight groups with 2216 shafts and 100gr Wasp SSTs. Those Wasps are darn near indestructable.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Boo wrote:
Kelley wrote:
What Farmer said.
Kelley
Kelly, those Thunderbolts are very tough especially compared to Gold Tips! They were made from C2 material. I have some Victory shafts on order as well as some Carbon Express Aramid KVs on order. I also have been shooting the Maxima Hunters. Too bad I couldn't test them on a deer last season :cry:
I'll let you know what I think. I'll be torture testing them all.
Thanks Don
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i used both and prefer carbon for hunting ....have shot them thru plywood etc with good results....